Ben Wyvis Hotel
Bay Highland Hotel(Strathpeffer)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
The Dower House(Muir of Ord)
  • Restaurant
All reviewscinema roombuffet breakfastold buildingcourse dinnergrand hotellovely viewself serviceyogurtbit datedblack isleexcellent value for moneyfilmshighlandscharactervictorianskyebarman
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed with family here. Fabulous food. Loved the eggs benedict and French toast. At dinner they were out of a few things, but Strathpeffer is a little remote. Beautiful, spacious rooms AND big bathtubs! Very nice bar, but closes at 9 pm. Nice hiking trails behind and across from hotel. Convenience store just outside the property. Short drive to some beautiful attractions.
Very helpful staff. Must have a car if staying in Strathpeffer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
DavidCollings, General Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Ellen L,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for our team. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and particularly the food at the Ben Wyvis hotel. I have passed your comments on to our head chef, Joe, who was delight to hear your comments regarding breakfast but apologises for being out of a few things at dinner.

I am also pleased to hear that you found our staff to be very helpful. Our team works tirelessly to offer our guest the best possible service, comments and feedback only encourage and motivate them to further improve.

I hope to welcome you back to the Ben Wyvis very soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a HUGE old Victorian home/ hotel that must cost a fortune to keep up The room that we had was of normal size with12 foot ceilings, a decent bathroom, and a decent bed. Not the best bed mind you but decent. Staff was courteous and helpful. Parking is a bit of a problem. Also eating is something of a problem. The dinners were 20 pounds each so we opted to find something out. Good Luck with that. We were there on a Sunday and Monday and the only restaurant that appealed to us thru TA is closed both days. In High season?? What's with that?? Strathpeffer is very small so there ain't much happening. We ate at McKay's. Forget it. Had breakfast at the Ben under the B&B plan. It was good but nothing to shout about.
The grounds were pretty and it was fun walking to the Eagle Stone. Don't miss that. Otherwise, I'll keep on driving.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Speckul8r,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for our team at the Ben Wyvis hotel. I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be courteous and helpful, as always I have passed these comments on to the team. The Ben Wyvis is defiantly a spectacular building with some fantastic characteristics such as the high ceilings, grand restaurant and great gardens.
I am sorry to hear that you found parking to be a problem and that you struggled to find somewhere to eat. Had you mentioned either of these issue to our team we would have been delighted to help by offering you some specific requests where possible in our restaurant or recommend some good local places to eat.

Thanks again for your comments.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed June 30, 2013

By saying this is the worst place i have ever stayed would be an understatement . The floor in our room had a drop of more than 10cm with the bed head at the lower end .No towels or pillow cases when we checked in (late afternoon) It made Fawlty Towers look like the Westin . They were understaffed in the Dining room (food was reasonable ) and the receptionist that checked us in was rude and when we requested to be moved wasn't the least bit interested . The grounds were untidy and overgrown .The best part about it was the bar staff , very friendly and acccommodating. A warning to people who even think about staying there .... DON'T

Room Tip: don't go by the web site or brochures .. gives you a false sense of grandure
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidCollings, General Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear John L,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for our team. I am sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay at the Ben Wyvis hotel and found it to be not as you expected on this occasion.
In regards to your comments about the floor in your room this is due to the age and style of the building, some features are crooked and uneven and our team do their best to manage these whiles maintaining the charm and character of the old building.

I can only apologise for your room not having towels and pillow cases when you arrived, as the reception team explained on arrival we’d had a delay with our delivery and the housekeeping team were doing everything possible to get these items to all the room as soon as they arrived at the hotel. As always, I have passed your comments on to the team who share my disappointment and echo my apologies.

Thank you again for your comments.

Warm regards,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ended up staying at this hotel with our cosmos tour group, hotel like a rabbit warren with different levels and passages every where. Bed room had only a double bed, far to small for two big Australians. Did have an ensuite, not big enough to swing a cat in. Cooked breakfast was ok, however most upset with late opening bar, management didn't seem to care. Expensive in house dinner menue.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johnb255100

Dear John255100,

Many thanks for your comments and taking the time to leave them for them team.
I am disappointed to hear that you found our hotel to be like a rabbit warren. The long corridors are due to the style and size of the Victorian building built in 1886. I feel this part of the charm and character of our hotel.
In regards to your comments about our menu, we have recently introduced a new menu into our restaurant which will run along side our daily set menu and is individually price to allow guests to chose a dish which they will not only love but will also be in their budget.

Regarding your comment about the management that you felt didn’t seem to care, we are now under new management and I can assure you, I do care and I will be working with the team to improve all aspects of our hotel and the service we offer.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Ben Wyvis to see the improvements and restore your faith in our hotel.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Love this place, it isn't the Hilton but as you would expect in a small country town it has its own character and charm, reminded me of being in an oversize B&B. Great grounds and wonderfull view at the front. Friendly staff, basic clean rooms, good hearty scottish breakfast and nice evening meals. Piano and a little cinema were added extras. This was our second visit and we will come back.

Room Tip: At the front will give you a view of the hills
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter2651

Dear Peter2651,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback for our team. I have passed your kind comments on to the team who are always grateful for the feedback. We are, recently under new management and the whole team is working tirelessly to offer our guest the best service. Fantastic comments and guest feedback such as yours goes a long way to motivate and encourage the team to further improve.

I hope to welcome you back to the Ben Wyvis again soon.

Kind Regards,