“Strangely Good”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
“Strangely Good”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Up here to support a family cabaret singer. Nice easy trip up with someone else driving. Good mix of people. First impressions of hotel are: its an old sanitorium like for TB cases or its a Spa hotel from Victorian times or maybe a bit Shutter Island.Liked the check-in, liked the layout,liked the room although a little faded. Absolutely liked the bar or should I say Marie the barmaid a lovely no nonsense girl. No strong beers on tap Vier and Stella lite. The restaurant was huge like something out of "Oliver" very puzzled looking Maitre'de but helpful. Food was seasoned well - maybe too well, but we all tucked in. Lovely grounds, very good breakfast. I will say tho could be better. But I was charmed by both Marie and the setting.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
gmben, Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I have passed on your kind words to Marie who works in our Bar, I can assure you she is a very valued member of the team at the Ben Wyvis Hotel. I hope you will choose us again when visiting the area.
Kind Regards
The Ben Wyvis Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
wellington, somerset
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I have just been to the Ben Wyvis with my husband, daughter and three grandchildren and what a fantastic time we had,The staff were amazing with my grandchildren nothing was too much for them.The rooms although could do with a little update were clean and tidy & the restaurant was very good everything you needed was available including soya milk for my husband. I would personally like to thank the managers the receptionists and all the restaurant staff for a wonderful long weekend we just wish it could have been longer.and a personnal thank you to chrissie for all her help.we hope to be back very soon.thank you

Room Tip: Just Ask they are all happy to help
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank thewellymob
DavidCollings, Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for you comments were are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Ben Wyvis, we will pass on tour kind commentsto all our staff here at the hotel, Our aim is to ensure that all or guests enjoy their time here with us.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future, take care and have a lovely summer
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Stayed here for one night as my normal hotel was fully booked. On arriving at reception was told no room service when I asked to book dinner reply was "you want to eat here?" found this very strange and asked if any takeaways in village. Ther were none so I asked to book a table for 8pm was quickly told "no" you can have 730 or 830. Dinner was terrible set menu or very limited menu portions were minute which really was a god send as the food was so bad I got 4 pieces of ravioli which tasted like cardboard. The room was no better bed VERY squeaky and hard Walls paper thin (awoken at 7am to a woman shouting in lobby). Breakfast was buffet an ok but no mushrooms or beans black pudding however was excellent.when checking out told can't process and will take amount from my card details later and send out bill?? Would not recommend this hotel and won't be staying again!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank gordongreens
DavidCollings, Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Dear Guest thank you for your review, we are extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at the Ben Wyvis Hotel. I will speak to our reception team to find out why your request for a dinner booking was not handled in a more professional manner, I can only apologies for this and hope you will accept my sincere apology.

With regards to the food I have already passed on your comments to our chef, if we had been aware there was on issue on the evening our team would have dealt with it at the time. In relation to your check out we did unfortunately suffer a system failure but this should have been explained more carefully to you.

Once again please accept my apologies as this is not our usual standard of service at the hotel and we do hope that at some time in the future you will consider visiting us again so that we can show you that we can deliver the sevice and standard you expect

Travelers are raving about these Strathpeffer hotels

edinburgh
Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband and I had a stay in this hotel in April. We had a lovely stay. The staff went out of their on several occasion to please and attend our request. We really liked the quirky charm of the interior of the hotel.
The included dinner was a limited menu, but we could have chosen any of the choices, all seemed delicious, the portions very generous. The dinner was served ro us even though we arrived after last orders.
Helpfull staff assisted us organising trips in the area. We returned to the city rested and happy after a lovely break.

• Stayed April 2011
gmben, General Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Thank you for your very kind comments, i have passed them onto all the staf at the hotel.
We hope you will choose to stay at the Ben Wyvis Hotel when again visiting the area.
Kind Regards
The Management and Staff
Ben Wyvis Hotel
Scotland
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Stayed here for five nights, nice large Crerar hotel in some lovely grounds and gardens in Strathpeffer, a small 19th Century spa town, few shops, but a wonderfully preserved railway station. Excellent for access to Inverness, the lovely Black Isle, the west coast or further north.

My room overlooked the gardens, it was adequate, good bathroom, tea and coffee facility, newish flat screen TV. Quiet corridors and very little noise percolated up from the ground floor. Room spotlessly cleaned, fresh towels (and a good point - the sort that actually do dry you) changed three times. The staff in the bar, at the desk and dining room were very nice and helpful.
Breakfast was a help yourself buffet and more than adequate, plenty of freshly prepared hot food. Dinner came as part of the package and food well prepared and tasty, choice of 3 starters, mains and sweets. The main courses were good, but where were the vegetables ? This is my only criticism, the amount of food presented was on the tight side, good portion of chicken or fish etc., but spoiled by few vegetables every night. More please if you want me back!

The dining room staff worked very hard to cope with all the diners, at times under too much pressure to cope with two coachloads of tourists in the hotel staying a couple of nights, I suppose the staff had to serve 100 people. Apart from the dinner issue the hotel and staff were excellent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments placed on trip advisor. We are all pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have spoken to chef with regard to your comments and he has assured me that he has rectified the problem. Once again thank you for your review and I hope you will choose the Ben Wyvis Hotel again when visiting the area.
The Management and Staff
Ben Wyvis Hotel.
London
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Booked this hotel through their website for £190 for 2 nights incl dinner. The hotel looks beautiful from outside and has nice grounds. But the rooms though spacious need refurishbment and better cleaning.

The wifi only worked in the commn areas.

The hotel caters for coach tours and when you go to restaurant for dinner or breakfast it is overtaken by groups and there were only 2 waiters and they couldn't keep up. The dinner that was included with the room was really not good. The second night the roast was tough and dry - could see other tables had left theirs - and we did the same we just couldn't eat it. We were never asked if anything was wrong, i guess they knew the answer. We did not even stay for desert which was included.

Breakfast was very basic and like dinner did not taste good, everything had been prepared a long while before.

Definitely do not recommend this place and if you have to stay here just book a room without dinner.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twanny1976
Invergordon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We chose the Ben Wyvis as the venue for our Daughters Wedding and we could not have wished for better .
The Staff were excellent, polite,attentive and helpfull Sharon,Stuart and Chrissie lead a team whose sole aim was to ensure our Daughters Wedding was a Day to Remember, they were excellent.
The meal was beautiful, the function rooms were ideal .
We spent the night in a clean comfortable room with views over the front grounds and Ben Wyvis (mountain) The breakfast was excellent and plentiful and again the staff were very good.
We would not hesitate to recommend the Ben Wyvis, Our stay was perfect.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front for the Best Views
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
DavidCollings, Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Good Afternoon, thanks you for you fantastic comments regarding your daughters wedding here at the Ben Wyvis. We are delighted that you all had a wonderful day. It was a pleasure to look after you and all your family and friends

I have passed on your kind comments to all our team , please pass on our best wishes and congratulations to your daughter and her new husband, we wish them all the best for the future, we look forward to seeing you all again soon here at the Ben Wyvis.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Dingwall
Tulloch Castle Hotel
Tulloch Castle Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dingwall

Been to Ben Wyvis Hotel? Share your experiences!