“WHERE TO BEGIN????”
Review of Mackay's Hotel

Mackay's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My friend and I spent 5 days in Mackay's hotel and Spa as part of a David Urquhart tour and I have to say it is definitely caught in time warp!! On arrival we were met by a very inefficient Manageress who directed everyone to their rooms. She started off by calling out peoples names then seemed to get bored and left the rest of us to take the initiative and get off coach to ask for our keys
My friend and I were allocated rooms 14 and 15 (this being a twin room). On opening the door to my single room I found although small it was only for 4 nights so adequate. This however was the best feeling I could have about it as once I was inside the full extent of neglect was very obvious. The carpet had not been hovered and as well as being filthy it was covered in crumbs. The base of the bed had a very suspect stain on it which I was afraid to investigate too much!! The television was an old fashioned analogue one with cables hanging all over the place and plugged in to an adaptor on the floor. it was impossible to watch as there was constant "snowing" on screen and only channel available was BBC. I have never even experienced this abroad and to think I was in another part of Scotland it was extremely disappointing. It had not been electrically checked since 2010,which given that a Health and Safety audit was being carried out whilst we were there was a shocker. The bedroom window was jammed open so had it been cold weather it might have posed a problem.

I spoke to the Manageress about the carpet and requested that it be cleaned before! I went back into it. There was no apology and no reaction at all, although when I went back up after dinner it had been cleaned, but that was the last time!

The breakfast was adequate but service was a hit or a miss. Dinner was a great disappointment, with only the first night being enjoyable. We were served cottage pie which was the cheapest mince available and potatoes which should have been mashed but were lumpy and unappetising. Desserts were a joke and almost everything was either from a tin or prepacked.. Thankfully I made sure I ate at lunchtime.

Entertainment was very good all four nights and we enjoyed it very much with even the Manageress joining in on the last night but only because she had a French party in as u until then she had ignore our coach load.

I can't speak for the pool and facilities there except I know the Jacuzzi was out of order.

I definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AussiefanScotland

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is shabby and run-down. There was only a bath, no shower. The hotel bar was used by the locals and that's where the Reception was situated. It was a bizarre set up. It felt very uncomfortable going in there to be honest.

The food leaves a lot to be desired. The breakfasts were just passable, but the dinners were awful.

I had an ancient television in my room which was unwatchable because of the poor reception. I haven's seen snow on a television like that for forty years.

I certainly won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Anne F
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just returned from a David Urquhart's trip to this hotel. The weekend was great. The hotel staff and rooms were adequate and comfortable. The food was good as was the service. Entertainment was ok as that was not so important to us. The spa was wonderful. Had the pool and jacuizzi to myself all day. Weather was fantastic and the added bonus on the Saturday night was the pipe band and highland dancers on the square outside the hotel. They play there all summer.

Room Tip: The room we had was in the annexe room 1. Couldn't fault it as it was a tripple and had a walk i...
1  Thank sylvia59Glasgow
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Went to Mackay's with a coach trip for our Anniversary. Friday 19th July to Monday 22nd July 2013.

Reception & Sitting room furniture and general appearance very tired and uncomfortable. Dinning area compact and a bit dated. Food very basic. Longe Bar dated and tollets a bit smelly....Dampness I think.
The first room we were given room 31 to entrance and hallway smelt of dampness, we had no proper shower so I went to reception and complained, they were good enough to change our room which was much better all round so I can't complain about our room 12.
The entertainment wasn't up to much. All that said the weather was great. Although Strathpeffer is small you can have a nice look around. Victoria train station lovely (old train station with lovely cafe and other small shops. Bowling club, Pavillion. We still managed to enjoy our stay with excursions to Inverness & Ullapool which were great not to be missed. The People of Strathpeffer were all very friendly and if you were out walking always said hello. Mackay's also have a swimming pool and Spa howevr as our time was limited I didn't manage to use this, was told it was nice and not busy.

Room Tip: Have advised which room to avoid 31 and which was nice 12.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2013

No big deal. Lackluster. Food OK served with the same attitude. No one seemed to care about much but resetting the table for breakfast. We had Pork Loin probably left over from the previous day. Good Ice cream. No beer. All in all, quite Disappointing.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in Mackay's Hotel for two nights in July 2013. We were unimpressed.

The hotel foyer had an extremely unpleasant, cloying smell - I think perhaps it was stale beer. It was very strong and dissuaded us from visiting the bar.

Our room was disappointing. We had requested a double room but were given a twin room; we pushed the beds together but one of them was a couple of inches higher than the other. The room had one chair for two people. The windows were sash windows that proved extremely difficult to open; there were old cobwebs in the muntins. One window overlooked the roof of the hotel, which had a dirty shoe lying on top of it. We were given unwrapped bars of soap - not very sanitary. There were numerous notices and warnings plastered on the walls, which detracted from the already mediocre appearance of the room.

A fire alarm sounded at around 8:30 on the Saturday morning. The alarm stopped after a couple of minutes while we were evacuating the hotel. We were given no explanation at any time as to whether this was a drill, a technical fault or an actual fire.

The breakfasts were reasonable, although the staff twice took away our food before we were finished without asking first.

The saving grace of the hotel might have been it's spa (pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room), which was very nice and empty but for us. However, the experience was spoiled slightly by a few things: an out-of-tune radio was playing loudly (ruining the ambience), there were no keys for the lockers in the male changing room, and the jacuzzi had a warning on it saying that the water would become caustic every 15 minutes (dangerous for anyone losing track of time!)

Overall, the hotel was fairly tired and felt unloved and half-hearted. As it was not especially cheap, I'd consider it a disappointment. I appreciate that updating the decour, etc, of small hotels takes money that the owners might not have, but there's no excuse for a hotel to be dirty and bad smelling.

1/5

2  Thank Kyle D
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed in room 15,so if you like being woken up by the running of hot water @ 06.30 then this is it, if that fails then you will have the ghost whistler who walks around the hotel grounds making songs up with his sheeraby feerawah tones only known to himself what they are

We arrived at the hotel around 18.00 hours to be told that the lodge attached to the hotel is where the "entertainment was", the smell of dampness and the lack of any entertainment told a different story

The breakfast was a choice of hard poached eggs,of which really baffled me as to why you could do that in an hour window of breakfast, a poor fry up of cheap sausages and a willingness to move you around the restaurant even though it was quiet
I had a hose attached to two taps which the hotel claimed to be en suite facilities

The good point about this hotel was the pool sauna and steam room
Would i go back probably not unless of course i was a star in the new movie

Room Tip: Avoid Room 15
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Bay Highland Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dingwall
Strathpeffer Hotel
Strathpeffer Hotel
#6 of 7 in Strathpeffer

Been to Mackay's Hotel? Share your experiences!