“One of the best hotels I have stayed at in UK”
Review of Bay Highland Hotel

Bay Highland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stayed for a week at the Highland Hotel on a Shearings holiday. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. I thought the menu was good and varied and the staff were very efficient and helpful.

John
Surrey

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank SurreyJohnny
There are newer reviews for Bay Highland Hotel

Reviewed June 29, 2009

Solo with Shearings for a week. Well kept gardens and rooms at front give great view over the village. Menu very good indeed and very well cooked and presented with fast service. Everything very clean. One problem for some was only a bath and no shower. It's 2009 and ALL rooms should have a thermostic controlled shower with separate or over the bath. Water is scalding hot so for Health and Safety need 'thermostatic' controls. Corridors could do with a lick of paint but considering the amount of luggage being handled it is understandable. The hall and stair carpet looked almost new. You will find all waiters/esses smart and bar staff all European. Slovakia, Hungary, Latvia etc. They speak reasonable English (trained to speak with Scottish accents) but just enough to wait on.
A very busy hotel with lots coming and going. Bit of a problem handling cases as only one small lift which is not large enough to take the luggae trolley. If you are on the third floor you have 72 stair steps to get to the top. Brilliant keep fit exercise. Overall no reason complain, only compliment. Entertainment a bit mixed but Rob Ross with his keyboard and accordian and humour is brilliant for two nights each week.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
11  Thank rippo4u
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I stayed at the Highland Hotel as part of a coach holiday with Shearings who own it.
The holiday represented remarkable value and some of the party who booked at the last minute paid less than £200 each for an eight day break, while others who had booked through a travel agent or early paid the brochure price of about £500.
You get what you pay for by and large and this is certainly true of the Highland Hotel, which must be about 100 years old. It is a imposing building outside and the woodpanelling on the walls downstairs is impressive too.
I found the food – I was on dinner, bed and breakfast – to be good considering the price for the holiday. It was not cordon bleu but only those with large appetites would be disappointed because the portions were on the small side. However, there was a good reason for this because the vast majority of guests were in their 60s, 70s and 80s.
Restaurant service was rather slow because there was only one waitress for most meals. On the day my coach party of 49 left the hotel everyone trooped in to breakfast together because we were to set off at 8.30am and the waitress was rushed off her feet. The food was certainly adequate and the choice was good.
The Highland Hotel is run with a minimum of staff and I was surprised that no one asked if I wanted to have an alcoholic drink with my evening meal. A wine waiter who doubled as an additional barman later in the evening would pay for himself in extra sales.
My bedroom was a little tired looking and Shearings should spend some money bringing it in to the 21st century. I could not fault the cleanliness but the bath lacked a shower mixer, which meant that hair washing was difficult. Also, there was one tiny bar of soap and no shampoo provided.
The room had a TV with a 14in screen and basic non-digital channels. Tea and coffee making facilities were also provided and so too was a clock radio.
Strathpepper is a small village with a handful of shops, no pub that I could find, and no public entertainment in the evenings. The hotel makes up for this by providing traditional Scottish fare but this is angled towards the elderly clientele and youngsters would most likely be bored by it.
There is no gym or swimming pool and no wifi or any other means of accessing the Internet.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
6  Thank 1948Mike
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My sister and I went to the Highland Hotel with Shearings coach holidays. From start to finish everything was perfect. Danny the driver could not have been nicer. The room we had had a lovely view over the village which we did not pay extra for. The staff especially Richard in the dining room weere most helpful and very pleasant. The food and the service were very good.Entertainment excellent. Only complain only 1 game of bingo all week.Will defionately be visiting the Highland again.This is from 2 eldeerley ladies who really enjoyed the dancing and the company.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank winnieinWalkden
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I celebrated my 41st birthday in Strathpeffer Hotel, on a Glenton coach tour holiday.
From the start i was made to feel like a VIP and the two people i was with voiced as
much. I loved my room, which was room 45, the hotel, the staff, the location and everything else!! I shall be back again and again and again, with friends etc. I loved the friendliness of the locals, shop staff etc, i felt so welcome i actually felt loved.

Thank you to all of Strathpeffer Hotel, God Bless every one of you x x Gaynor Jayne Marsh

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We were asked to choose another hotel with shearings as our original hotel was not going to be open and we chose this one,because of other reviews and it looked our sort of place in the broshure,plus it was in the same area we wanted to go to any way.It was our anniversary so did book a room with a view but did notice other rooms had nice big windows in them as well,even if they did not have our view.Our room was lovely and big and so was the bathroom,although the bath suite was a gory yellow,it was all very clean and inviting.Checking in was good and we where told which dining room to use.We where allocated a table when we came down for dinner and asked if we wanted to share or be on our own,which we thought was a good idea,from then on that was our table for breakfast and dinner.Breakfasts you could not fault,everything you wanted and for once it was hot when it got to the table.Dinner again was good,not huge portions but when having three courses,you really do not need big portions,in saying that there was one night that the soup was extra nice and we asked for another helping and it was brought,witha smile.All the staff where nice and all had smiles and where helpful,I like weak tea,so at breakfast asked for a pot of hot water and the t.bag on the side,no problem and at breakfast next day my t.bag was on the table waiting for me and hot water brought when my husbands tea was brought to the table.The entertainment was good two out of the three nights.It does mainly cater for the older clientle,as it is a shearings hotel,but what is wrong with that,there was no drunkeness or bad language and i must say for me and my husband it was lovely there wasn't.There is a steepish walk down into the village of strathpeffer,so be aware if booking the hotel,though they do tell you this when you book.We will be visiting the hotel again next year as the scenery aroung the area is lovely and we didn't get to see it all and plus we enjoyed our stay so much we will have to do it again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dunnitall
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We didn't know what to expect when we booked our trip to the Scottish Highlands with Shearings as we had not been on a coach tour previosly. Although it was a long drive up there it was well worth it.

We arrived at the Highland Hotel in Strathpeffer late in the evening. The staff greeted us and made us very welcome. We were given our room keys, and were pleasently surprised with the quality and cleanlyness of the room. The food was excellent with plenty of choice and the waitresses were very friendly.

The entertainment was good on each of the 4 nights that we stayed there. I would certainly reccomend this hotel to others.

Bill & Erika

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bill-Erika
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Ben Wyvis Hotel
#2 of 2 in Contin
Priory Hotel
Priory Hotel
#1 of 4 in Beauly

Been to Bay Highland Hotel? Share your experiences!