Bay Highland Hotel
$175
$121
  • Breakfast included
Hotels.com
The Dower House(Muir of Ord)
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsronnie rossshearings holidayour waiterlong journeyself driveevening entertainmentpremier roompump roomscottish dancerslovely hotelold railwayshearings hotelsfirst classnational holidaysoverlooking the villagecoach drivergreat holiday
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Went to the hotel at 9pm to see if they had any vacanies due to being let down by the hotel that we were booked in to.

The reception staff were amazing, cheerful, courteous and so very helpful, despite just checking a coach trip in and their computor system being down, they found a room for us that meet our needs and went the extra mile by picking us and our luggage up from the other hotel at 10pm and driving us to the Highland Hotel.

Every aspect of our stay at this hotel was wonderful, and all the staff were so very helpful and nothing was too much trouble, they went out of there way to ensure that you had a great stay in the hotel, and I cannot praise them enough. The staff are a credit to the Hotel, the Manager and to Shearings.

This was our first stay at a Shearings Hotel but it will not be the last!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
highland hotel ... s, General Manager at Bay Highland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

It always lovely when someone takes the time to leave you a five star review, espically when they go out of their way to mention staff.
It's great to hear you had such a lovely time and will be using our hotels again.
Look forward to seeing you soon.

Many Thanks

Reviewed July 29, 2013

On arrival at the hotel, we were warmly greeted and informed of dining times etc. When we got to our room we discovered there was'nt a shower so went back to reception and was given another room key, told to check it out and if we still were'nt happy we would get a look at yet another room. Fortunately we were happy with the second room, which was a bit dated but clean and bright. The meal at night was not great, poor quality and not a great choice. I asked for chicken salad but was told it would be turkey and as I'm not a lover of turkey had to opt for a hot dish, which I did'nt finish. The entertainment that night was excellent, the drinks were expensive. Breakfast was better, with a choice, but poached eggs were hard. The second night, we only ate starters and puddings and the last night we both had liver and onion gravy which was disgusting. I cant understand how a chef can spoil such a simple dish, I felt like going to the kitchen and giving them lessons on cooking. All the staff were friendly, the hotel was old fashioned but nice and for £99 each for 3 nights was very reasonable. We have found that all the Shearing hotels we have stayed at have poor quality meals, but I suppose on a limited budget it would be difficult to produce a decent meal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pearl G

Thanks for taking time to write your review.
It's good to hear reception managed to help you out with your room and you enjoyed the entertainment.
I will look into your comments regarding the food and discuss with our chef.
As you state we are charging £33 a night for dinner bed and breakfast and I'm glad to hear you found your break to be very reasonable value for money.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here two years ago (and were very pleased with experience) so decided this year to make a second visit by coach from the South. Standard room ( with views of woods) was clean but basic although it did have a new shower fitted to bath. Room was perfectly adequate for our needs. Meals were generally good ( we mainly had salads appropriate to the hot weather) but did notice that a cut-back has been made on the ice cream deserts. Two years ago they were well presented in tall ice cream sundae glasses with syrup etc but this time they were the basic one or two scoops ( sometimes even without wafers!!!!) in smaller dishes. Some cost cutting going on? Overall another good stay at the Highland Hotel and I am sure we will return again sometime in the future. Good circular walks in the area e.g. the "Cats Back" and around the Loch .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Great to hear you paid us a return visit.
Your right about the walks, there are some great ones right on the doorstep. The cats back is very popular.
Sorry to hear about your ice cream, they should always be served with wafers. This must have been a mistake on our part. Sorry .
Looking foward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights on a Shearings coach holiday. A lovely hotel full of character although many of the rooms are in need of refurbishment. I understand that 24 rooms will be done over the autumn/winter period. There was a good choice of food which i found to be perfectly adequate - please remember you are not staying in a five star hotel so do not expect michelin star food. The hotel staff are all very helpful and friendly and will do their best to accomodate your requests. The entertainment was good traditional style scottish music with highland dancers and bagpipers in on one evening. I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Jayne W

Thank you for taking time to write your review.
It's great to hear you enjoyed the food and you your holiday. We are working on the rooms and completed 12 earlier in the year.

Look foward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Summer outing of 15 adults to Strathpeffer Pavillion and then to the Highland Hotel for lunch. I regret that I have to comment on what a disappointment the lunch was. We waited 45mins for our meal which was over cooked verging on being burnt fish/scampi and chips everyone was hungry and ate what they could . Because we had such a wait for our main meal pudding was skipped and tea and cakes/scones were ordered and one ice cream , the tea and coffee's arrived but nothing else, Spoke to the lady on reception a couple of time regarding our poor service and she was on the defensive and kept passing blame back to me as I should have ordered well ahead ( I had phoned at nine a clock that morning to confirm we would arrive at one as arranged).Having drank our tea and coffee the cakes or ice cream still hadn't arrived so everyone decided they were going home they had had enough . On leaving the dinning room the lady from reception arrived and was trying to give out the cakes/scones but everyone had tea and coffee so what was the point we were going home. Disgusted and very disappointed and won't ever go back there .

Room Tip: Sorry can't add a tip
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Iris C
agrantham, General Manager at Bay Highland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with your lunch at the Highland Hotel. Please be assured that I will investigate the matter fully.

As I’m sure you are aware our bar lunches are very popular and cooked to order so at busy times service may be slightly slower.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel if you wish to discuss the matter further. I would like to think we could resolve the issues raised and invite you back to enjoy your lunch as many of our customers do.