“Don't go there - if the town is full, travel a wee bit further to Torridon, please!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shieldaig
Rivendell Guest House
Ranked #5 of 6 Shieldaig B&B and Inns
scotland
Reviewed June 27, 2009

This was the last room in the last establishment in Shieldag. It was pricey (60 gbp for B&B) considering the room was grubby and in need of refurbishment. No ensuite and the bathroom was grubby with the window blocked off. No lock on the bedroom door. The heating was off and I had to ask the landlady (who was pleasant enough) how to work the heater (bear with me, this comes back into the story).

My partner & I then went out to dinner, when we returned, the weather was bad - lashing rain and wind...both of which were coming through the window of our room at the front. I tried to close the window, however, the moment I touched the handle, the window blew open. I couldn't get the window to close at all, so I went downstairs to ask for help. After 10 minutes the male owner arrived. He immediately asked me if I had opened the window. When I said "No, I tried to close it", he went balistic and accused me of breaking the window. He called me a "cow", said I was a trouble maker complaining all the time about heaters, had come there to make trouble specifically for him, made some personal remarks about my looks and told me to leave. I called downstairs to my partner that we were being thrown out. The owner (who hadn't realise that I was not alone) changed his tune. He then proceeded to tell my partner that he felt sorry for him having to look at me all the time, at which my partner asked him to please calm down. The owner then directed various insults at us both and told us both to go, shouting at the top of his voice.

When I said I would contact the Scottish Tourist Board, the owner snorted with laughter saying he didn't care.

I would not recommend this place at all. Apart from the rudeness, it's grubby, unsafe (no fire escape route unless you count the window that won't close), no locks - so your possessions can be taken by anyone who knows this, and is downright unpleasant.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cuilchick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Scotland
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Having read previous reviews of this place I unfortuntaely cannot say anything positive in its defence. Owners friendly although less so when we told them we didnt want to eat there (£25/head for no choice), bistro and Torridon Inn lovely and so much better. The place is a disgrace and does nothing for Scottish Tourism infact as a Scot it makes me very angry that our visitor's are treated in this way with such poor facilities.
Wouldnt recommend and would advise not to book.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Shieldaig hotels

Langbank
Reviewed May 4, 2007

We stayed for 3 nights at the Rivendell Guest House in Shieldaig. The bedroom we stayed in had a lovely view looking out to Loch Torridon, but that was the only good point as regards the room. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall, and the carpets were badly stained. The carpets were not hoovered prior or during our stay, and the bed was left unmade the entire time of our stay. The en-suite bathroom was filthy, and this was also never cleaned prior or during our stay. The wastepaper bins were not emptied whilst we were there. No-one came into our room, except to leave more towels, which we had to request. Also, there is no lock for the door.

The owners of the guest house are friendly, and the breakfasts were very good, but the entire house, and rooms are in great need of a major overhaul.

As we were out every day because the weather was fantastic, and because we had wonderful meals in the Tigh an Eilean Hotel, a few minutes walk away, it did not matter too much. We would not, however, book this guest house again.

• Liked — The view from the room
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank MunrobaggerLangbank
Frankfurt
Reviewed August 23, 2006

Rivendell, Shieldaig, Ross-Shire [--]

B&B right on the water front, friendly, family run, good breakfast, but the handful of rooms need improving.

June 2006: They have recently spent money adding a stylish restaurant / dining room but this has been to the detriment of the rest of the house which is sadly deteriorating. Enter straight into the shabby lounge. Bedroom at the front of the house had good view but desperately needs renovating, even a lick of paint to cover the damp stains and a lock on the door would do. The bathroom (not on-suite) is also overdue a re-fit; the window now looks into the loft of the new extension and the room was still grubby from the building work. One of our group was given a back bedroom that had no windows at all - we only took it because it was late and our options were limited but never again.

Could be nice but in need of some TLC, it all felt a too cold and un-inviting despite the charismatic owner. Did not look forward to going back to the room in the evening and got the impression the restaurant took priority over the B&B guests. Pity, because if the rooms were better we would probably stayed to eat at their restaurant…

6 Thank HamishOnHoliday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shieldaig
Gairloch Hotel
#1 of 2 in Applecross
The Old Inn
The Old Inn
#6 of 17 in Gairloch

Been to Rivendell Guest House? Share your experiences!