“A reasonable hotel, but with little character”
Review of Dundonnell Hotel

Dundonnell Hotel
“A reasonable hotel, but with little character”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed for one night on a solo cycling trip from John o'Groats to Land's End. The weather was foul at the time and the man at reception kindly took my rain jacket off to the boiler room to dry out, showed me somewhere dry to stow my bike for the night and chatted through the day and the shocking weather with me. But I didn't seem him again that evening and the bar staff - young, foreign students(?) - were indifferent and talked amongst themselves, there were any locals in and few tourists, so there wasn't much atmosphere. The food (evening meal and breakfast) was ok; it was a bit of a shame that it wasn't better given the wealth of local ingredients. The room was clean and functional and even though it was a single, it had a much welcome bath. Overall, no complaints whatsoever, but a bit cold and impersonal compared to everywhere else I stayed in the Highlands.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Not_all_those_who

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
LINLITHGOW
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights whilst doing munros in the area. Ate in the hotel both nights very nice food, reasonably priced. Lovely breakfast. Room warm and comfy. Very quiet location. Would visit again if in the area. Dogs made welcome which is always a bonus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VMATHESONMACIVER
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Visited for the April 2013 Music Weekend - Had a wonderful time! Trish and Rob made us feel more like family that visitors and the weekend passed by all too quickly. We'll definitely plan to return again!!

Room Tip: The rooms over the Broombeg Bar offer excellent views of the Loch
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JKMurray
New Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for a week now and have found the staff very helpfull the food is great and the accommodation very comfortable. and the music in the bar makes for a lovely evening singing along with the players. all in all a very enjoyable experience. and i will be recommending it to all my friends that are planning a trip to Scotland.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a view of the loch when the tide is in.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mmjb1957
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Staff were all very good and accommodating. They kept the kitchen open for us as we were late returning from the hills one evening after a long day. The food is good and the cooked breakfast excellent. The choice is slightly limited but what they do is done very well. Decor a bit tired but the scenery is why you go there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have become regular visitors to this hotel.
In fact - the first time we stayed here was only because many other friends of ours were staying that weekend, in this hotel... so we felt we should book in, too.
To be honest - we would not have chosen this hotel from other trip advisor reviews of this area..... but you live and learn..... And here is our honest opinion!

As 'seasoned travellers' we have experienced many and varied hotels - although only throughout Europe.
We tend to favour boutique hotels and base our reviews on accommodation only......... as most hotels only offer accommodation.
This (Dundonnell) experience is very different........ this is more than accommodation.
We arrived at Easter weekend to toasted hot cross buns, tea and coffee..... and a genuine enquiry about food, rooms, additional requirements, etc.
The hotel owner was on hand (in her chef's whites, as she was preparing that evening's dinner).
Our requirements were vegetarian (my husband) and general carnivore (myself!).
Having been so impressed by the veggie option, I decided on that dish, too.... and i wasn't disappointed. Apparently, it is the hotel's mantra - never serve a vegetarian lasagne!! I thought this was hilarious... but only because I eat meat. My vegetarian husband, however, took a more serious view, and gave this hotel even more gold stars for this ideology!
Our room had stunning views westward from the mouth of the sea loch.I have captured this gem of a view as a 'screen saver'.... such was its tranquility!
The room itself had been refurbished since our last visit...... and is decorated in relaxing neutral tones.
The bath water is still discoloured as it comes from mountains rather than over-sanitised water purification plants. It's quirky!! It's perfectly healthy........
and another wee traveller tip.... peat filtered water like this really enhances a wee malt whisky!
We visited this hotel with a group of friends on this trip - and everyone had a wonderful time.
Next time, we plan to visit here on our own........ just because the scenery and hospitality cannot be matched anywhere else. And sometimes - as a couple - you just want this special venue all to yourself. I know that's selfish....... but sometimes a roaring fire, remote location and wonderful hospitality are all you need as a couple.
We've visited this hotel as part of a large group and part of a small group...... and just as a wee couple looking for a quiet break away from a hectic life.........
We have NEVER been disappointed at the Dundonnell Hotel!

I want to recommend this hotel to everyone else looking to explore the breath-taking scenery of the west Highlands of Scotland .

Enjoy your Dundonnell sanctuary..... we did, and hope to do so again, soon!

Room Tip: The rooms here have a view of the loch, or a view of the mountain behind the hotel. Both aspects are...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank J K
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Once again, we have spent time up in the TLC of the Dundonnell Hotel, this time as part of a very large group of friends (over 40 of us!!!). This was for a 'Music Weekend' organised by the hotel.
As usual, the staff at the hotel were welcoming and the scenery was breathtaking. Stunning views and a warm welcome! This was our fifth visit as a couple, and I have visited a fair few times myself for their 'music weekends'.. The owners always remember me, and that in itself is lovely! It is also great that local musicians made us feel so welcome.

The food last time we visited was excellent, but I wondered - given that there were so many of us - if that standard could be maintained for a large group, all eating at the same time. We weren't disappointed! The food was as good as it had been when we visited as a couple. Even the presentation of the dishes showed that someone had put in a bit of effort and thoughtfulness.
Unfortunately, we couldn't stay for lunch on Sunday. I couldn't have done it justice, anyway, after such a big breakfast. However, the owner dashed off and rustled up a 'take away' for my husband, to eat while I drove. The car smells a bit of roast potatoes now, but my husband enjoyed having Sunday lunch whilst travelling through mountain ranges! I hope he doesn't expect that level of pampering from me!!!!
I can't recommend this hotel highly enough....... food, comfort, cleanliness, location, friendliness have been consistently excellent.
We will definitely go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 1 has spectacular views right up little loch broom. Rooms at the front of the house have loch v...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
#5 of 6 in Ullapool
Shieldaig Lodge
Shieldaig Lodge
#1 of 5 in Gairloch

Been to Dundonnell Hotel? Share your experiences!