“Very good restaurant, generous portions”

Royal Hotel Cromarty
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cromarty
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I ate twice at the Royal Hotel restaurant this Easter (2013). The first time my experience was excellent. A staff member cleaned the table, chairs and floor before I sat as a "messy" family had sat there before me! The food (sweet and sour chicken) was tasty and a big portion. Well priced too. The owner was friendly, smiley and chatty.
The second time I went with my husband and we had a similar experience with the owner and the generous portions. However, this time our table and seats weren't clean (and we were there before the kitchen opened for dinner, so it was left dirty after lunch). Also, since we arrived early for dinner, I ordered a hot chocolate that they wouldn't make as "the kitchen was closed". They offered tea or coffee instead but I don't drink either (apart from peppermint tea but they didn't have any either).
Overall, very good but not excellent.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Cracking location - right on the beach with amazing views across the Cromarty Firth and the food is fresh, local and in season - can't get better than that! I've stayed lots of times and its nice to always receive a warm welcome from the locals as well as the owner, Jenny Henderson. She has done a great job at renovating the hotel along with running the local tearoom, The Pantry - its well worth a visit for an afternoon tea & scone...delish!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Turned up without booking on Easter Sunday, glad we did, had an excellent meal , fresh haddock, chips & salad. Sat in the conservatory on a glorious sunny day with great views .couldnt beat it, highly recommended.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Cromarty is a beautiful village but completely let down by this typically poor Highlands hotel. (not biased because we live in the highlands!!!) We had a meal here on a Tuesday night in the lounge bar. The bar staff were not welcoming at all. They kept on telling us that they normally close at 10 but had cashed the till by 9 and locked the door so no one else could get in making the dead atmosphere even worse. I had to ask for music to fill the room a bit. After finishing the main course we were not even asked if we wanted dessert or coffee in an obvious attempt to get rid of us. My wife accidentally knocked over a glass of wine during the evening and although not obliged to replace it, a good restaurant would. The food itself was terrible, my haggis, neeps and tatties was just a massive pile of lukewarm slop and my wife's was just as bad. After we had had all we could take of it I noticed the chef leaving for the night. I guess he had decided we didn't want anything else.
The new owner has done a reasonable job of the lounge bar (although perhaps more city looking than country) but has left the very poor ancient toilets. My main complaint to them though would be the staff. Old does not mean nice and please please please look carefully at how well they do their job. This beautifully positioned hotel should be one people travel far and wide to stay at.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Smidgeon1
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I had a 2 night break at the Royal Hotel last week. We received a warm welcome when we checked in. We had booked a superior room which was lovely. Very comfortable with lovely bathroom. We ate in the hotel both evenings and the food was delicious. Was difficult to choose from the menu as everything sounded lovely! Breakfast was excellent. All staff were friendly and welcoming. The coal fire added to the cosy,homely atmosphere. We will definitely go back!

1  Thank AberdeenshireKitty
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We popped into this hotel for a coffee after a delightful walk along by the Firth - and were so tempted by the menu that we stayed on for lunch! Excellent fresh local ingredients - hearty portions - and my husband enjoyed the local ale, Happy Chappy. We would certainly recommend eating here and are sure that the accommodation would be just as welcoming and enjoyable.

1  Thank AscotTravelbug
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Eat,drink,sleep. This Sunday night deal is fantastic value for money at a lovely sea front hotel. Room 14 is nicely furnished and has a large comfortable bed,the bathroom is really spacious with a fabulous deep bath that has a view out over the harbour that you want to stay in for hours! The evening meal we had next to the roaring fire was very nice indeed and was complimented by the exemplary local ale called happy chappy (it made my husband a happy chappy) . Breakfast the next morning was at an extra cost but I have to say was worth every penny as the quality and quantity were vastly superior to the one we had at another hotel the morning before! All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The Sunday night deal at £99 is an amazing offer and the extra cost for breakfast is well worth adding on.

1  Thank Helen L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromarty
Kincraig Castle Hotel
#6 of 9 in Nairn
Dornoch Hotel
Dornoch Hotel
#6 of 6 in Dornoch

Been to Royal Hotel Cromarty? Share your experiences!