“Delectably delicious!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Contin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

After eating no chocolate last year - and therefore not having chocolate cake on my birthday for the first time EVER, that I can recall - I was determined to have chocolate cake on my birthday this year, especially as I was spending it in my favourite holiday destination, Scotland.
Coul House Hotel, recommended to us by the owner of the cottage where we are staying, exceeded my expectations, in more than the chocolate cake department.
After a delicious lunch elsewhere, I thought I'd barely have room for 2 courses at dinner, and certainly not three. However, after seeing the Coul House Hotel menu, I decided that as this birthday would only happen once, (as all birthdays do, but unfortunately not all of mine can be in Scotland!), I would stretch to three courses.
The appetiser, lamb stovies, (not sure about the spelling), were similar to very up-market pasties - and that's no faint praise. They were tasty without being over-whelming and were accompanied by a delicious beetroot relish - and I'm not normally a beetroot fan.
My main course of venison was served with turnip fondant and a delightfully named vegie 'cake', but I can't recall the exact name. The jus and plum puree that came with the venison finished it off to perfection.
The service was friendly without being obsequious.
Even though it was not on the wine list, when I asked about a glass of champagne, (as I only wanted one), a French one was suggested, which was another example of the thoughtful service.
I was determined to have dessert and managed to fit it in.......just!
Flour-less chocolate cake may not sound too inspiring, but the name was the only thing that was remotely ordinary about the dessert this chef prepared - and I do apologise for not remembering his name.
They knew it was my birthday and the presentation was the chocolate on the plate - similar to icing on the cake, but only better, as it was chocolate!
If you would like a special meal, freshly prepared and memorable in all aspects, I would definitely recommend Coul House Hotel.
Happy eating! Jay2000
PS I would like to insert a photo of my dessert, but can't work out how to do it!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was very impressed with the meal - given how many people were being served, it was an exotic meal and served quickly. The staff also did a great job of keeping our glasses topped up. Unfortunately, the room was extremely hot and stuffy; opening the french doors or switching on an air conditioner would have really helped.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have lunched at Coul House on more than one occasion after pleasant morning walks in surrounding area. Hotel is situated in small village of Contin and is well worth visiting for lunch,afternoon tea or dinner. The hotel is up a small drive and is not visible from the road but is signposted. The owners and staff are extremely welcoming and the food is first class. If you are a walker, I would recommend you walk first as its difficult to resist all three courses!! Menu has lots of locally sourced food e.g venison and seafood and there are daily specials. If you don't have room for pud. have a tea or coffee which is served with the most delicious home made tablet and shortbread. The view in the dining room over the Fairburn hills is wonderful particularly when they are snow covered.
I haven't stayed in the hotel as I live fairly locally but I am sure the bedrooms are as immaculate as the public rooms and toilets. There is a lovely log fire as you come in the main door which is a good spot to have a warming dram before you eat and there is also a cosy bar. Try Coul House. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Fantastic food, Superb service and wonderful waiting-staff!
Every time I go here the food is fantastic and the staff are warm and welcoming. We are, upon arrival, invited to sit in the cozy, relaxed bar area for a few minutes before the meal to have a drink. Then, once we've settled a bit, we are shown to our table and the order is taken. Service is quick and a pleasure and the food is just divine! Desert is my favourite course and i am never disappointed! :)
Prices are very reasonable for the quality of food, service, location and atmosphere.
Just a word of caution, the turning off the main road can be a bit tricky if you've never done it before and the driveway is a little bit narrow in some places but other than that the journey up to the hotel is great.
I would thoroughly recommend a visit to Coul House Restaurant!

1  Thank Ian S
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have taken friends here 3 times in the last 2 weeks for the most delicious cream teas I've ever eaten.The scones are so tasty,with jam cream and chopped strawberries.There is also the lightest most delicious shortbread that can be made into 'strawberry shortcake' ,
.with fudge for afters.Well worth £5 per head.
I intend visiting regularly.

2  Thank Mofos