“Friendly staff & great views, but poor facilities”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Applecross
Applecross Campsite
“Friendly staff & great views, but poor facilities”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We booked this campsite as we found a lot of online recommendations for it. The mountain road to get to it was terrifying but beautiful, so worth it. The campsite was not. Staff were friendly and helpful but the showers and toilets were really shabby and although I saw a cleaner going around there didn't seem to be much improvement. Grass and muck brought in on shoes was not cleaned up and my boyfriend and I both decided to go a day without a shower because we didn't want to use theirs.

Food in the restaurant was good but a bit overpriced. Whole place needed a bit of work to smarten it up, not at all well finished. Entertainment in the evening went on very late and was very loud. Seems to be great if you're a regular but otherwise not.

Amazing views though so extra points for scenery. Otherwise, not great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lizzi88x

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I will never know the joys of the Applecross campsite as I had a booking for the summer but was forced to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances.

I was only due to stay there for one night, and emailed 2 months in advance to apologise and ask for a refund.

I wasn't expecting all my money back, I wasn't even expecting the majority back, but when they offered me a refund of £2 out of a £20 booking, I was surprised and annoyed. Every other place that I had booked with for this holiday refunded my money (the lowest amount I got was 80%, and the youth hostels all gave me 90%).

You would have thought that a campsite like this would rely on return visits - I can happily say that they have probably lost £100s in potential earnings from myself and my friends as we will never be visiting.

Hope that if you chose to book, you don't have to deal with their customer service and cancellations department.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank callmewhite

Travelers are raving about these Applecross hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Booked a camping Pod for just one night in July 2012. With a location like this there is very little that could put you off! The Mountain road into Applecross is amazing - we arrived on motorcycles, the road was the main reason for us travelling to Applecross.

We had been told that Applecross Inn was THE place to eat - food was good but a bit over priced, and the owners of the Inn were a bit snooty.
When we go back (and we will!!) we will eat in the Flower Tunnel on the campsite - we were entertained by live music and ate a fantastic breakfast in the Flower Tunnel - such a lovely addition to the site.

Staff were lovely and helpful, locals were friendly, facilities were clean an new. FAB campsite, amazing location. GO THERE!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marie A
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed at the B&B house in the campsite rather than the campsite itself so can't review the facilities there, but the house itself was a great place to stay. Was quite expensive compared to other B&Bs (£75 per night) but was worth it for the experience. Felt as though we had made a friend for life in Clive by the time we left (and we only stayed one night). Talked about everything from politics to religion and got a real feel for the local area after just half and hour.

The room itself had a lovely modern en suite and the view into the garden was beautiful. Found out after breakfast we had eaten bang in the middle of an ancient stone circle and right on two very important ley lines. Also, there is really old broch right in the middle of the campsite that's in the process of being excavated (it was originally dug up by the Time Team about 6-7 years ago).

A really intersting stay and will be back as soon as possible.The visit is worth it alone for the drive over the Bealach na' Ba - terrifying but jaw-dropping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed in camping hut 6, at the end of August, it had a faulty smoke alarm (this went off two nights running, when reported the site were very slack in replacing), cracked glass in the door and the door surround was missing. the hut is in need of some TLC. I managed to tear my rugby shirt on a protruding nail on the door, when reported to the management onsite, they couldnt of cared less, they have also not replied to my emails. Although in a beautiful setting, i would advise anyone to book with huts with care. The site also had entertainment on the friday evening, which went on until late and was very loud. Not quite the quiet site they proclaim

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank loubear40
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Back again after a two year break and again stayed in the Wishbones.

Staff on arrival welcoming and informative. Hut 2 - Clean secure and as expected. Basic but that is what we expected. Take everything you need to go camping just no need for a tent.

Dry , secure and with an electric socket - Great

Campsite was not packed when we were there so showers not really a problem. Good amount of hot water and clean .

Room Tip: If planning to eat in the On site restaurant- Flower Tunnel - note closed from end of Sept