“Never ever again!”

Foyers Bay Country House
Ranked #3 of 5 Foyers B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The worst place I have ever stayed at in Scotland! We were insulted and threatened by the owner. The cause was that I opened a small bottle of rare whisky in the lobby. The owner screamed and shouted, saying this was the bar and they ran the place as a business. I apologised for my error. Even so, he went on and on and on. At one point he looked like he was going to hit me. I have never before experienced such dreadful behaviour at a place where I was a paying guest. I later found out that other guests have had similar experiences. The hosts' „friendliness“ which others mention is raddish: Scratch it lightly, and it's gone completely. Foyers Bay displays several plaques of recommendation (Scottish Tourist Board, Les Routiers...). They are used illegally: Trading Standards are investigating. We stayed in what Foyers call a „Two Bedroom Suite“. The rooms were tiny and cold, the beds uncomfortable and squeaky.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank Walter B

Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel was ok, everything was clean and we had a nice view on the lake. Nicely situated, very quiet.

However for the standard service the hotel was too expensive. For breakfast there was only toast and jam, anything cooked costs 4pounds each extra. Considering the high price of the room that's not acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Eitsch723
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We arrived on a rainy night at this B & B, and without coordinates and GPS, we had not found it. But once arrived, we received warm. The rooms were tastefully decorated, comfortable beds and a nice view of the lake.
We could also order dinner, which was delicious. Shot Higins.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Two yachtsmen given short shrift when seeking a bite to eat and a pint, after climbing the 350m from the Lochside, during the recent May heatwave.

Poor show from an unimaginative, rude owner.

Craigdarroch Hotel was great and I'm sure they appreciate the referrals from FBH!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank Mark B
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I was really looking forward to staying here, but unfortunately as soon as we arrived we were met by the most unfriendly rude owners/managers I have ever met.
God forbid you are cold and ask how to turn on your radiator, as your will be met with this response, we don't turn our radiators on until winter for any of our guests, I was left stunned, and did try to ask for extra blankets as ours were paper thin, to which they shrugged and said we will see what we have...they followed this up with, actually I can see we will not be able to make you happy, so I think you should leave. My mouth literally hit the floor..I had never been treated so badly and it ruined my whole holiday, it being late I refused to leave, but could not wait to go the next day.

Do not stay here unless you want to be treated badly, threatened with eviction if you dare to ask for a blanket because you are cold, or want to be terrified at night by the scary clowns and dolls with no faces that are lined all the way up the stairs to your room!

• Stayed: September 2011
21  Thank Minxy555
Reviewed January 10, 2012

my wife and i spent a very peacefull and relaxing 4 nights over the xmas period.we were the only guests and david and kate were wonderful hosts.the view from our spacious and very comfortable room were excellent and the cosiness of the log fire in the residents lounge was very welcoming.the menu had a very good variety of food and wine and a pint of bellringer was looked forward to by me to start the evening off especially after a long and bracing walk.david is a very good chef and obviously prides himself on the presentation of his fare.christmas day dinner was amazing and kates christmas pudding was possibly the best i have ever had(and i dont usually like xmas pud!).we were treated more like one of the family than guests,nothing was too much trouble .if you want a get away from it all xmas or break from the world this is the place! wonderful views stunning walks and a lack of human beings,BliSS! WE WILL CERTAINLY RETURN!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 2, lovely views of nessy!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Lovely house high up over Loch Ness. Its run by a very friendly couple who looked after me very well. He is a great cook! Afer I've booked, I received a very useful e-mail with tips about the place, which I was very glad to receive

My sat nav took me there with no problem - it is out of the way and the route is via lots of quiet winding roads so I might not like going there in the winter. However, as i went at the end of Summer, it was a lovely trip. I'll definitely visit again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foyers
The Lovat, Loch Ness
#1 of 10 in Fort Augustus
Inver Coille
Inver Coille
#2 of 2 in Invermoriston

Been to Foyers Bay Country House? Share your experiences!