“relaxing”

The Craigdarroch Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Foyers B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2013

A very relaxing two nights. The view from the hotel over Loch Ness is beautiful. Staff and management were friendly and made us feel very welcome. Food excellent with an outstanding breakfast. Will return if in the area without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed as part of group on deal which was good value however would have been very disappointed if we had paid full price.... Hotel very tired and in need of decor update... Rooms were clean but flooring in bathroom wasn't the nicest - Lino that had been put down badly. Service was good and staff friendly. Beautiful views but don't think we will return

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bernie W
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Promised my wife I would return after a lovely holiday we had in the highlands 5 years ago. We were a bit nervous about the weather however as is often the case with the BBC forecast, the rain never arrived and we had a fabulous weekend. Craigdarroch has stunning views both from the lounge, the dining room and the room at the front of the building which we paid a small premium for to stay in. The bed was very comfortable and we had the best sleep we have had in a long time which unfortunately also meant that we didn't see much of the view from there ! We had planned to do some day trips around the area and the owners' local knowledge was invaluable in pointing out some of the local sights. We had 2 meals in the restaurant during our stay and found the staff attentive but not overly so.

We would recommend a trip to the falls and some of the local forest walks.

Overall it was a very relaxing stay and we will definitely be returning soon !

Room Tip: The Loch-side room that we stayed in had a stunning view of Loch Ness although we were also able to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colin T
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I managed to get hold of a Groupon voucher for this hotel. I was a little worried before we left as I saw some terrible reviews of the place.

Check in was painless, done in minutes and shown to our room.

The room itself is a bit tired, that said it is clean and well presented. Clean towels each morning which I would expect.

Breakfast is a basic cereal and the likes. If you want a cooked breakfast that is extra. Our offer had the cooked included so I was happy.

We had the "5 course set menu" on the Saturday. Due to feedback they changed it to a 3 course a la carte menu which worked for us. We also received 2 mini courses which was a nice touch. The food was excellent, couldn't fault it at all. Service took around 90 minutes to have our dinner which I thought was a good pace.

Overall did I feel like I got a good deal? Yes because I booked it through Groupon, I would have had a different opinion if I had paid full price.

Room Tip: Opt for a loch view room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

went the craigdarroch house hotel for a special weekend we booked it though groupon when we got there on the 29thmarch we were told the private bar was open as long as people were drinking only to told at 11.55 that the bar was closed we never even got told it was last ordrers the next night saturday 30th we had booked our meal for 8pm went down to the restraunt which was very busy the waitress took our order and 10min later we got our starter things went down hill from there after 45mins waiting for our main we walked out when the owner came and asked what the problem was we explained about the wait and told her that it was not waitresses fault as she was ran of her feet trying to serve 7tables the owner then told us that the reason for this was that they just opened a new public bar that night and had invited guests to the opening so her and her husband we in the public most of night she the offered to get the chef to make us a sandwich which at 10.30 at night i think was unaceptable considering the price they charge i think they should get there priorities right

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank elizabeth g
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent Easter weekend at Craigdarroch, having bought a Groupon voucher which included two nights' stay, dinner on one night and breakfast on both mornings. Overall we had a lovely stay but it wasn't without a few issues.

Pros:
- Wonderful scenery, it really is a beautiful place. Knowing we were staying there for my birthday, my boyfriend's Mum called ahead and asked for an upgrade to a room with a loch view, which was much appreciated. The walks nearby are also well set out, the falls are definitely worth a trip.
- We briefly spoke to the owners and they were very friendly. I disagree with a previous comment saying that their dogs were aggressive, it's great that the place is dog-friendly.
- The whisky selection is impressive. Don't think this needs further explanation!

Cons:
- I was surprised when I found out that Craigdarroch is 4 star. The whole place looks a bit tired (especially the outside, the house itself could do with a lick of paint and the old kids play equipment makes the place look a bit shabby) and could do with an overhaul. The decor of our room was dated (bright lime green is too much to handle in the morning) and the TV was ridiculously tiny.
- Our dining experience at the hotel was TERRIBLE. Honestly the most chaotic service I've seen for a long time. There were maybe five tables in, two people at each, and one stressed-out, frazzled waitress either rushing around frantically or disappearing for ten minutes at a time. Our table was booked for 8:30 and it took us 30 minutes of waiting without drinks to place an order (the waitress kept telling us she'd take our order then disappearing) and an hour for the main to arrive. By that point I was almost eating off my own arm with hunger and other guests were getting annoyed and leaving (one couple left after the starter, I don't think they ever got their main). The whole meal (three courses) took two hours to complete, in a place with so few guests I don't think there's any excuse for this. The food was actually very nice, it's just a shame that the service was so awful. The problem is that there are few alternatives nearby, I'm glad that we only had to endure one night of dining in the hotel though. Breakfast was nice and a lot less chaotic, thankfully.

Overall, having paid the discounted price that we did we were very happy with our stay at Craigdarroch. However, had we paid the full price (especially for the meal) we would have felt pretty ripped off.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Arriving at the Craigdarroch House Hotel is impressive. The hotel is in an amazing location with spectacular views of the loch nestled in a forest. Was there for the Loch Ness marathon and was generally impressed with the hotel and the location but it wast perfect and at 160£ for my room I thought it could be better. Firstly a cooked breakfast wasn't included (which for the price is a joke) and that leaves a bit of a sour taste. We also had to jam tea bags into the window as the latch wasn't working properly and the window wouldn't close properly. We didn't complain as it want a big issue but again for the price this sort of thing shouldn't happen.

On the plus side the location is AMAZING, the staff were exceptionally friendly and the bar has an impressive selection of Scotch. Overall a good place to stay but could do with someone polishing certain areas.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SaffaMark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foyers
The Lovat, Loch Ness
0 mi away
High March
High March
#15 of 32 in Drumnadrochit

Been to The Craigdarroch Inn? Share your experiences!