“Good But Not Great!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Foyers B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good But Not Great!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I managed to get hold of a Groupon voucher for this hotel. I was a little worried before we left as I saw some terrible reviews of the place.

Check in was painless, done in minutes and shown to our room.

The room itself is a bit tired, that said it is clean and well presented. Clean towels each morning which I would expect.

Breakfast is a basic cereal and the likes. If you want a cooked breakfast that is extra. Our offer had the cooked included so I was happy.

We had the "5 course set menu" on the Saturday. Due to feedback they changed it to a 3 course a la carte menu which worked for us. We also received 2 mini courses which was a nice touch. The food was excellent, couldn't fault it at all. Service took around 90 minutes to have our dinner which I thought was a good pace.

Overall did I feel like I got a good deal? Yes because I booked it through Groupon, I would have had a different opinion if I had paid full price.

Room Tip: Opt for a loch view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

went the craigdarroch house hotel for a special weekend we booked it though groupon when we got there on the 29thmarch we were told the private bar was open as long as people were drinking only to told at 11.55 that the bar was closed we never even got told it was last ordrers the next night saturday 30th we had booked our meal for 8pm went down to the restraunt which was very busy the waitress took our order and 10min later we got our starter things went down hill from there after 45mins waiting for our main we walked out when the owner came and asked what the problem was we explained about the wait and told her that it was not waitresses fault as she was ran of her feet trying to serve 7tables the owner then told us that the reason for this was that they just opened a new public bar that night and had invited guests to the opening so her and her husband we in the public most of night she the offered to get the chef to make us a sandwich which at 10.30 at night i think was unaceptable considering the price they charge i think they should get there priorities right

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elizabeth g
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent Easter weekend at Craigdarroch, having bought a Groupon voucher which included two nights' stay, dinner on one night and breakfast on both mornings. Overall we had a lovely stay but it wasn't without a few issues.

Pros:
- Wonderful scenery, it really is a beautiful place. Knowing we were staying there for my birthday, my boyfriend's Mum called ahead and asked for an upgrade to a room with a loch view, which was much appreciated. The walks nearby are also well set out, the falls are definitely worth a trip.
- We briefly spoke to the owners and they were very friendly. I disagree with a previous comment saying that their dogs were aggressive, it's great that the place is dog-friendly.
- The whisky selection is impressive. Don't think this needs further explanation!

Cons:
- I was surprised when I found out that Craigdarroch is 4 star. The whole place looks a bit tired (especially the outside, the house itself could do with a lick of paint and the old kids play equipment makes the place look a bit shabby) and could do with an overhaul. The decor of our room was dated (bright lime green is too much to handle in the morning) and the TV was ridiculously tiny.
- Our dining experience at the hotel was TERRIBLE. Honestly the most chaotic service I've seen for a long time. There were maybe five tables in, two people at each, and one stressed-out, frazzled waitress either rushing around frantically or disappearing for ten minutes at a time. Our table was booked for 8:30 and it took us 30 minutes of waiting without drinks to place an order (the waitress kept telling us she'd take our order then disappearing) and an hour for the main to arrive. By that point I was almost eating off my own arm with hunger and other guests were getting annoyed and leaving (one couple left after the starter, I don't think they ever got their main). The whole meal (three courses) took two hours to complete, in a place with so few guests I don't think there's any excuse for this. The food was actually very nice, it's just a shame that the service was so awful. The problem is that there are few alternatives nearby, I'm glad that we only had to endure one night of dining in the hotel though. Breakfast was nice and a lot less chaotic, thankfully.

Overall, having paid the discounted price that we did we were very happy with our stay at Craigdarroch. However, had we paid the full price (especially for the meal) we would have felt pretty ripped off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Arriving at the Craigdarroch House Hotel is impressive. The hotel is in an amazing location with spectacular views of the loch nestled in a forest. Was there for the Loch Ness marathon and was generally impressed with the hotel and the location but it wast perfect and at 160£ for my room I thought it could be better. Firstly a cooked breakfast wasn't included (which for the price is a joke) and that leaves a bit of a sour taste. We also had to jam tea bags into the window as the latch wasn't working properly and the window wouldn't close properly. We didn't complain as it want a big issue but again for the price this sort of thing shouldn't happen.

On the plus side the location is AMAZING, the staff were exceptionally friendly and the bar has an impressive selection of Scotch. Overall a good place to stay but could do with someone polishing certain areas.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SaffaMark
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was a great hotel interms of what were looking for: peace, quiet, good food and some quality "switch off" time. Our room had a really comfy bed but we loved the views best.
The owners were great and staff all smiley and helpful.
We wll return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank donna d
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

The feel of Craigdarroch was humble and welcoming from the second we rolled up the drive to the hotel. The hotel is ran by a very nice married couple who have two beautiful daughters. Upon arrival we were taken under their humble wing and asked if anything could be done for us. We were shown to our rooms and then went down to the dining room for our arranged time of eating. The food was absolutely scrumptious and we wanted for nothing. The next day we drove along the loch and visited a few spots. I would strongly recommend visiting as the scenery is breath taking and service above par. We have already booked in for next year :-) .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Cyberlel
bristol uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

A reviewer of this hotel said WOW I found nothing WOW about this hotel.

To charge £165 for an average room and then charge £9.00 each for breakfeast is taking the P.

The dinner at £29 each was rubbish if you do stay take your own food.

Even though you have views of Loch Ness it is still a long way away.

the music playing in the restaurant was mournful.

I hate giving bad reviews but this hotel deserves it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank torquayBristolluk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foyers
The Lovat, Loch Ness
Loch Ness Country House Hotel at Dunain Park
Foyers House
Foyers House
#1 of 4 in Foyers

Been to The Craigdarroch Inn? Share your experiences!