“Good stay”
Review of Foyers House

Foyers House
Ranked #2 of 5 Foyers B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Our stay was comfortable and enjoyable. Bar was a bonus. Room was good with very comfy bed (room 5) and a nice view. Evening meal was delish (chicken stroganoff with mash). Breakfast was even better. All in all I witnessed no evidence of any poor attitude to guests suggested here. I sometimes think you get back what you give out. I would return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Yolande1975

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Bad plumbing, general lack of hospitality are the downsides. In fact the host was very rude to my guests in the B&B. Heating turned off in evening making rooms exceptionally cold. Doors did not meet causing a lack of privacy in the shower rooms. One room is accessed outside the hotel in the dark with very poor lighting and an extremely strong smelling toilet freshener which over-powered the whole room. There are dubious soft toys (eg rats in dining room!!!! and cows beside toilet bowl) scattered around.
The only upside was that the beds were comfortable. Won't be returning or recommending.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Illysopinion
dubedu, Owner at Foyers House, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Interesting, on another review site lllysopinion complains that “neither he nor his wife introduced themselves to us. Nor did they enquire as to whether or not we enjoyed our stay”. Perhaps she just felt unloved, and needed reasurance…………….at least the beds were comfortable.
I have posted photo’s of the “dubious soft toys”, enjoy.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed the one night here whilst walking the South Loch Ness Trail. Stayed in room 4 which has its own entrance, just a few steps from the roof terrace. The view is unrivalled, facilities were great value, owners friendly and gave us local knowledge on the surrounding area. We ate here and evening meal / breakfast both very good.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed in the wee upstairs twin room for 2 nights and it was brilliant. We had evening meal and breakfast both days which was delish. The owners were friendly and interesting and made us feel welcome. Roof Terrace was fab and the bar had all we needed. A gem of a place and we would definitely return if back in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bettiboggibot
dubedu, Owner at Foyers House, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Carlsberg don’t do guests, but if they did, they would be like this……..

Reviewed October 19, 2011

Arrived in the town by canoe, and by arrangement owner came down to pick us and the gear up (glad we missed the walk). Excellent views and a great value cafe nearby. Friendly owners, nice bar and adequate breakfasts - would definitely return

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Brian L
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We are a group of 13 adults from Switzerland. We booked 7 rooms for one night in Foyers House in Foyers. We had to pay half of the amount in advance. Therefore I had to pass my credit card details to Foyers House. They charged 270 GBP.
On the 3rd of August around 8 pm we arrived in Foyers. We travelled with two rental vans. The first car arrived ten minutes earlier. The owner of foyers house didn’t welcome us very friendly. His first question was how we would like to pay our accommodation. I explained him that we will pay in cash. But I would like to wait until the second car arrives. Then I can collect the money from all members of our group. This made him already upset. He said it would be easier for him if we had arrived all at once.
I told him that we are coming from the Isle of Skye. It took us more than two hours to drive to Foyers. Probably the second van had to look for a service station. His answer was that he would nobody recommend to visit the Isle of Skye. We asked for the reason and he gave the unreasonable answer that the Isle would be too busy.
He told us that he had a “plan A“, so he wanted us to show the rooms first. Now he has to change to “plan B” because of our unreliability. Plan B was that we had to deposit our luggage in a designated area and then we should take a seat on the terrace and wait for the rest of our group. A member of our group didn’t want to deposit his bag in this area. He preferred to have his bag in sight. This made the owner of Foyers house again displeased. He told us to leave the luggage where he defined. There were no thiefs in his house.
Another member of our group asked for a bin. He had eaten something in the van and wanted to recyle the paper. The owner got the first time very angry. He asked us why he should take our rubbish. He would have a contract for an accommodation not for recycling. We brought the paper back in the car.
Then we wanted to walk to the terrace when our second group arrived. The owner of Foyers House claimed that he has to change his plan again – back to “plan A”.
Unfortunately one of us left the second van and lighted a cigarette. This was too much for the hotelier. He exclaimed that this would be a non-smoking B&B. Of course we knew that before. But mistakenly we believed that smoking would be allowed outside the building. He explained that his smoking area is down the street – go as far away as you can’t see the Foyers House any more.
The wrongdoer of our group apologized and we promised to follow this rule.
Then he explained his rule for the check-in. He had a “holding area”. Luggage had to be deposited in a certain area inside the house and people had to wait in another area outside. He planned to take two people, show them their room, bring them back to the holding area and take the next two people.
But before he called me to the reception desk. As the responsible person I should sign a contract.This paper contained his house rules with the smoking area and another paragraph which explained that he sells alcohol. At the bottom of the contract he stated that he is allowed to charge fines on my credit card if our behavior wouldn’t be appropriate. I’ve never seen such a contract before. Therefore I denied signing this contract. I explained him that we intend to follow the house rules. But I will not sign a contract which allows him to be a policeman and to charge fines. During our stay in Scotland we werde in 6 different B&B’s and we never had to sign such an unusual contract.
He answered very rude. He gave us the choice to sign the contract or to leave. Then a colleague of mine accepted to sign. She signed the paper. I explained him that he’s not allowed to charge my credit card with the signature of my colleague.
Then he took the contract and pulled it to pieces. He told us that he doesn’t want to accommodate our group and he cancels the contract. He insulted us. I asked him to give our prepayment back – because he cancelled the contract. He denied. Then I asked him to get his cancellation in written. He denied again. Finally he made clear that he doesn’t want to discuss anymore and required us to leave his house. He banned us from the house and threatened to call the police.
We went to Inverness and looked for another accommodation. In the beginning of August this was a big challenge. Fortunately the people in Inverness were very kind and helpful.

Back to Switzerland we suffered a surprise. The Foyers House charged my credit card with the accomodation and the dinner! We neither had dinner nor stayed overnight.

In addition we found the latest review of environmental health. They wrote a report in March. Their comments about the kitchen are not very pleasant. Probably it's better we didn't get dinner in this house.

All in all, this is not the way you want to be treated on holiday!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
16  Thank Jolanda S
dubedu, Owner at Foyers House, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2011

The thirteen members of a “Swiss Whisky Club” on there tenth anniversary trip around Scotland arrived at Foyers House having sampled the water from the burn on Cnoc nan Speireag unfortunately for me, the water had been mixed with malted barley, boiled, had a little yeast added and then stored in a barrel for eighteen years…………….
In my experience, the sampling of old malted water has unreasonable effects on what generally would be reasonable people.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Foyers House for 3 nights, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We were actually a bit sad to leave! The owners were very friendly and helpful, and shared their knowledge of the area with us which was very helpful for planning day trips. The fact that the venue is licensed was great, as we could have a beer/wine after a big day out. The room itself was comfortable, and the bathroom (which we shared) was always clean. The views of the loch were still stunning despite the telephone cables! The only thing was that the internet didn't work very well, and we did speak to the owners about this and they were very good about it - even let us use the internet on their personal laptop to check an email!
We did not have breakfast each day as it was 11.50, which we thought was a bit expensive, so I cannot comment on the quality of the food. There is a pub about 11 miles away at Dores (Dores Inn) which does an excellent meal - very yummy desserts! We experienced fantastic scenic drives fro Foyers throughout our stay. We recommend Foyers House and would stay again. I found the other negative reviews quite strange - yes, the owner is a little eccentric - however all I can suggest is that these other guests somehow had a bad experienced which was entirely dissimilar to ours! Keep an open mind and get to know the owners, and hopefully you will enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Room Tip: We paid less and got the shared shower and toilet - these were separate to each other so it was no t...