We had originally booked only one night at The Lovat to break our journey from Inverness to the west coast. However we decided to stay longer almost as soon as we arrived and we eventually stayed for three nights.
Having looked at the reviews on Tripadvisor, we had decided we definitely wanted to be in the main house. Our room was on the top (second) floor with small sash windows overlooking the Caledonian Canal. Although we were in the eaves, most of the room had a good ceiling height - no problem for my tall husband. We had a huge en suite bathroom, with separate bath and shower. We found the room very attractive and cosy. The beds were slightly squeaky and the floor creaky, but this didn't bother us - and I hope not the guests beneath. Creaking floors are inevitable in an older building.
The public rooms downstairs are gorgeous. There is a large pale blue drawing room with huge windows overlooking the gardens and plenty of comfortable sofas. Next door, off the Reception, is a large red room, also with plenty of sofas and reading material plus a grand piano, complete with photos of the Queen meeting staff on a recent visit to the town. One morning we were in Fort Augustus was cold and rainy, so the fire was lit and we enjoyed curling up with a book and cappuccino in front of it. (By the way, all rooms contain umbrellas for guest use!)
The most important thing to mention is the staff. We must have met most of them during our three days there and all were excellent and appeared to really enjoy working at the hotel. They were very happy to chat with guests, although did not intrude. We don't think we have ever met such a delightful group of people working in a hotel and we hope very much to return.
We were not staying while the main restaurant was open, but we ate twice in the brasserie, which we found very good. Breakfasts were also good, although you needed to arrive earlier than we did for the croissants!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian property that delicately balances tradition & contemporary. The dedicated team has a drive & passion to deliver an outstanding visitor experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Lovat, Loch Ness reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lovat, Loch Ness Hotel Fort Augustus
- The Lovat, Loch Ness Fort Augustus, Scotland