“Loch Ness Highlight”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fort Augustus
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Loch Ness Highlight”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Fabulous stay at The Lovat, friendly staff, lovely rooms, perfectly clean, great food and wine, comfortable seating areas with roaring files and views of Loch Ness, couldn't wish for anything more. Fort Augustus is a perfect base, thanks to all at The Lovat, a great trip.

Room Tip: Views of the Loch so well worth asking for a room with a view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Hebrew first
Wirral
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed just one night on our way further north and deliberately chose this hotel because of previous experience. A warm welcome with even a Welcome Back card in our bedroom and the room as ever spotlessly clean. All the staff are friendly, willing to help and efficient. This hotel stands out for its efforts to do everything it can for the guests and attention to detail is obviously what they strive for. Try it and enjoy it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Highlands, Scotland
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had a 2 night stay at The Lovat Hotel. It's a lovely hotel set in an an ideal location. We chose this one as we were taking our dog with us. Our room was in an annexe adjacent to to the main hotel. They provided 2 bowls, a chew stick and a towel for the dog. The room was perfect in size with underfloor heating, including the wet room. We could take our dog into the main hotel in areas with no carpeting only. This included the bar area and drawing room. The staff were welcoming and friendly. Meals were of a high quality. On checking out we were given a homemade cookie each which we thought was a really nice gesture. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a great hotel, modern mixed with a traditional hotel. Great service, lovely rooms and an easy walk into Fort Augustus.
We stayed in one of the outside rooms, which was very nice, rooms were really warm with the underfloor heating, all very cosy! Would highly recommend this place, we would definitely go back!

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My second trip to The Lovat with my daughter in October 2013 was just as memorable as the first one by myself last year for 10 days - unfortunately only we could only stay 4 nights this visit.
Caroline and her team excelled at every aspect of customer service - you couldn't ask for more from any hotel. And the food - amazing - Sean and his team excel with every plate they produce, and the experience in The Restaurant is one not to be missed - 5 courses of pure indulgence and enjoyment for the palate - to be honest I've never eaten better in any hotel I've stayed at, and I travelled overseas 14 times last year!
The location is amazing with views to Loch Ness from our room (No. 9), and it's easy access to many nearby tourist attractions as long as you have a car.
We made sure we were back at the hotel every night however so we could sample more of Sean's inventive and creative menu.
What more can be said - I'm sure you'll definitely love it at The Lovat as well - enjoy the experience!

Room Tip: Some rooms on Level 1 and 2 have views of Loch Ness
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is such a lovely hotel. I celebrated my 50th birthday there recently and would go back in a heartbeat. The public rooms are gorgeous and comfy. I loved hanging out in them and having a drink with my friends. The rooms are very comfy and the bathrooms are downright luxurious. Shower and bath with plenty of room in which to pamper yourself. In room tea service is nice as well. Sewing kit and shower cap provided which are niceties that I really appreciate.

Staff is super friendly and helpful, if a bit disorganized, but that almost added to the charm, honestly.

The food is exquisite. Presentations are eye popping and the flavors tend to be on the delicate side, but scrumptious. I'd like to see the chef have a bit more of a generous hand with his seasonings, but in general, YUM.

My one real criticism is the toiletries provided. This is a hotel which prides itself on its eco-friendly profile and I was thrilled with that. However, the toiletries they stock are full of harmful chemicals like sodium laureate sulfate and disodium EDTA. I bring my own natural toiletries with me everywhere I go (and I must be honest here and say that I make my own and sell them) but it was still very disappointing to read the chemical mess in the toiletries provided.

Room Tip: stay in the main building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Homely, comfortable and welcoming Highland hotel in an idyllic setting. Personable and friendly staff. Thoughtful extras and attention to detail made for a memorable experience. Will be back. Thanks and Best. Nicola

• Stayed October 2013
#2 of 21 in Fort William
Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel
Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Spean Bridge

Been to The Lovat, Loch Ness? Share your experiences!