“Great experience!”

The Lovat, Loch Ness
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fort Augustus
Reviewed August 15, 2013

On my first trip to Scotland, I stayed one night at The Lovat at Loch Ness. The hotel is lovely and my room was very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent and the staff was welcoming. A very nice place to stay for a reasonable price!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Allie P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,260)

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked the Lovat as a last minute trip with my husband and after looking at the website and reading the reviews I thought I was getting a great deal.

All though I cannot fault the staff who were all lovely and attentive (all though there was never anyone at reception!) and nothing was too much hassle, I was mortified when they showed us to our room or should I say cupboard! The spare room in our house is bigger! For the price we paid per night we should have been shown to an extremely bigger room! I have stayed in four star accommodation for a lot less and been offered a lot more.

However, we did not let this deter us from our trip, we still had a fantastic holiday with stunning views and a beautiful cruise on the loch and I must mention the boat house we went there for a quick bite to eat, it's a lovely little place great value for money and great service.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
CeeGee1, Owner at The Lovat, Loch Ness, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor – which has given us an insight into your experience whilst visiting the Loch Ness area.

Bedroom - I wish we had known of your dissatisfaction during your stay so we could have looked to rectify the situation. We do have some rooms that are smaller and some with no particular view – I would be interested to receive more information from you so we can double check the rate you paid to make sure it matched your room type – perhaps we made a mistake.

Yes, the check-in desk is often un-manned because it is difficult for us to have someone standing at it 24/7 – we are looking at different ways to manage this area and at the moment are trying out a motion detector system which seems to work. Hopefully this will reduce the time guests are left unattended.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have stayed at the Lovat several time before and this occasion was no different. Excellent service from the minute you walk in the door. All of the staff are friendly and efficient and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well decorated. The food and ambience in the bar is lovely, and drinks by the fireplace after a day hiking is always something to look forward to. I am usually quick to find flaws in hotels but there's nothing I would put this hotel down for at all. Definitely wouldn't hesitate to recommend friends and family to try it out.

Room Tip: The rooms which look out towards the loch are the nicest but even if you are looking out the front o...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank monkeyrocket
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is within walking distance of all there is to do in Fort Augustus.

I paid for the breakfast + dinner option, and dinner by itself is £45 - which means the B&B part of the stay was £144. The room is definitely not worth that much. Very 70's, with a view of the car park, and a bathroom that smelt like it needed some disinfectant.

The welcome was non-existent; I had to go hunting for staff, whose first sentence was 'check-in is not until 3pm'.

I would go back to the restaurant, but not the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank kiwi089
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a really friendly yet professional hotel. It is not cheap but believe me it is worth every penny. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff cannot do enough for you. To top it all the food is excellent, you will travel a long way to beat the quality and price of the food and drinks. In fact don't dare stop here without dining otherwise you will regret it! The location is great with local walks by the canal and Loch Ness, and the views are second to none. A first class place with a friendly welcome for everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Grand Master suite, a little more expensive but go on, treat yourself!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here with lots of colleagues on a three peaks challenge. Yes, crazy!

The rooms, setting, friendliness of staff, food and basically everything was top notch. You are less than 5 mins walk from Loch Ness and right in town. If you're in this area it is the only place to stay.

The only downside was having to leave to half kill myself trudging up mountains!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PTimm
Reviewed August 6, 2013

perfect in every aspect. beautiful rooms, great cozy lounges and public spaces, perfect service, amazing restaurant and food.
the food was delicious, the Breakfast super generous, and the Malt selection exemplary.
tough to do better. the crown of our stay in scotland.

Room Tip: ask for the room N 21. it is huge, with a very nice view !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 2 in Invergarry
Cluanie Inn
Cluanie Inn
#1 of 1 in Glenmoriston

Been to The Lovat, Loch Ness? Share your experiences!