“Relaxed perfection!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fort Augustus
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Relaxed perfection!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Taken as a Birthday treat by my husband ! We both had a lovely time. We were given a very warm welcome and this friendly professionalism was shown by everyone we were in contact with and created a wonderful atmosphere in the hotel.
Our room was spacious and our bed was very comfortable both bedroom and bathroom was very clean and well presented. The rooms were warm and comfortable.
It is the food at the lovat that was very special, it was delicious and well presented and service in the restaurant was excellent, I enjoyed risotto, mussels, salmon and tortellini and each dish was prepared to perfection, and tasted delicious. Vast wine selection and bar menu complemented the dishes.
We stayed two evenings and choose to eat in the hotel both nights and one very slight point would be the menu was very similar on both evenings. However the staff were very particular in that they would cater to any dietary requirements and this offer was made too at the time of booking.
I loved the fact this wonderful hotel had an Eco ethos. I feel privileged to have stayed at the hotel and truly hope to return one day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Hebrew first
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Booked a weekend break away here with the fiancé to get away from wedding planning. Couldn't have booked a nicer hotel. Booked a master double room and couldn't fault it. Was very clean with a huge comfy bed. Stunning views over the loch, big bathroom with a big bath and shower.
Booked our stay in march, glad we hadn't booked it any earlier as boat trips on the loch were only just starting again.
Hotel is easy to find as coming in from south side of fort Augustus you pass right by so can't miss it.
Booked a meal the second night which was lovely. We had from the brasserie menu as the set 5 course menu looked a bit too adventurous to us. Meal was good though and very well presented.
Staff were friendly and helpful even starting the log fire for us in the drawing room.
Would stay again but perhaps go back more in season as there are more things to do on Loch Ness then.
My only gripe would be the dining room should have had some music playing at night as it was quite quiet. Would've given the place a nicer atmosphere.
Good job to the lovat.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Cowster1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and myself went back after a great stay in october 2012. Happy to say that it was still excellent with friendly staff, lovely clean room and excellent food. We look forward to our next visit and i'm sure it eill be just as good

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions for business and I have witnessed its' transformation over the last few years. I have to say that my most recent stay was excellent - the food and service in the bistro has hit a sweet spot ( great salmon starter, venison sausages and rice pudding all well cooked, well presented and served attentively). Room has most things you need (see later for minor comments later) and the beds are really comfy, room clean and bathroom clean with good toiletries. Breakfast choice plentiful -both continental or cooked options. Cairngorm ale in the bar and comfortable lounge for chilling. Great location at the head of Loch Ness and good for a run along the canal.

Only grumbles are no wifi in the bedrooms and the power of the shower could have been better.

Note. My comments are all based on rooms in the main building.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CeeGee1, Owner at The Lovat, Loch Ness, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor, it is greatly appreciated.

WiFi – all public areas & bedrooms should have WiFi access, which is complimentary – alternatively guests can use a cable to also get direct connection. Admittedly some rooms have a weaker signal but certainly no room should be without. Can I ask when you last stayed at the hotel & also what room so we can pin-point the issue and then deal with it.

Shower pressure – this is the first time someone has mentioned the pressure not being strong enough in a shower. We did have filters on each shower and if clogged with some minor water debris, this could slow down the flow. These have all recently been removed so it is concerning if you stayed within the last month and experienced low pressure. I look forward to more information so we can sort the issue if it is still present.
Dollar, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Lovely staff, very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately we both found the beds very uncomfortable and hard, both had aching backs in the morning. We were in one of the exterior rooms which had a lot of ants in the bathroom. The breakfast was excellent. We wouldn't stay again due to the beds.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Ants – did you inform a staff member about this during your stay because I am sure we would have looked into this issue immediately as it really doesn’t sound very pleasant? About 7 years ago we did have an issue with ants outside the building, made worse by the ground underneath being very sandy but to the best of my knowledge this is a new issue so something we will certainly look into straight away. I can only apologise now if you didn’t inform us during your stay.

Beds – I guess a soft or hard bed is personal preference and a tough one for us to be able to accommodate both preferences. In general we get excellent comments about the Highland Blindcraft beds which are made locally by those with vision impairments. The mattresses are all brand new from the end of last year and one aspect that we are looking into this year that will make the mattresses softer is bed toppers. Hopefully you would consider a return visit with our softer topper beds.

Again, thanks for the review and we are delighted that you found our breakfast excellent as well as the staff.
Scotland, Livingston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here 3 years ago in February, this was a surprise to me as we had just stayed at Newton Hotel from the 12th February to the 14th and I thought that we were going home until my boyfriend drove upto the hotel. The receptionist checked us in and took us to our room, we were in room 11. our last room was on the second floor and a lot bigger than the one we had however it had everything we needed, the bed was huge and so comfy. They left a card and chocolates saying thank yiu for coming back to The Lovat which I thought was lovely. Dinner was great and all staff were friendly nothing was a hassle for them, we had a few drinks in the bar then went to bed. Breakfast was lovely and again staff were great, I do like this hotel but felt the first time was just a bit better but then again we were late checking in and only stayed one night so really what more do you need? pics will be up soon

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Baghdad Province, Iraq
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I had the honor and pleasure of staying at the Lovat during my 2011 Scotland ancestral pilgrimmage and Loch Ness trip, and it was one of the reasons why the Scotland trip was my most awesome and memorable vacation ever. Great decor, comfortable rooms, delightfully friendly staff, and delicious food, particularly the Scottish breakfast (had my first-ever taste of haggis!) and seafood dinners. Also a conveninent distance from the boat cruise and the local shops and restaurants. I definitely recommend it if you're diong a tour of Loch Ness!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
#2 of 2 in Invergarry
Drumnadrochit Hotel
Drumnadrochit Hotel
#1 of 3 in Drumnadrochit

Been to The Lovat, Loch Ness? Share your experiences!