1,330 results
All reviewswet roomcookiesloch nessthe main hotellovely hotelstation roadunderfloor heatingfine diningopen firelarge bathroomlovely touchfood was amazingboth nightslittle toucheslovely roomcaledonian canala lovely stay
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just back from an overnight stay at the Lovat. The room (no21) was very nice, massive bed, and the bathroom was very spacious. We had dinner in the Brasserie, and the food was wonderful.
I feel i shouldn't write a good review because it may be fully booked the next time i try to go !!

My wife and i loved the Lovat and will definitely be back.
Friendly staff and free cookies on departure was a lovely touch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Just took the extended family on a grand tour of the homeland and decided to stay here again for the second time, my experience was consistent with my earlier visit 2 years prior.

The food here is really good, which is important as your alternatives are extremely limited. Dinner choices while narrow were absolutely delicious and there was nothing but praise from the eight guests in our party. I enjoyed the breakfast black pudding so much I immediately rushed round the local butchers (most of the produce is locally sourced) to buy some to take home to London.

The room we had was clean, decorated in a modern style, comfortable and cozy. There was an oversized shower in lieu of a bath tub which suited us well. Knocks would be the 19" TV was almost too small to be useful and the room wasn't very big. Please note that as is the norm with older more traditional style hotels rooms come in all shapes and sizes with a variety of bed options; one of our party was unhappy but this was quickly rectified by the extremely attentive management. I would suggest that you communicate clearly in advance because if the hotel had been busier rectification may not have been possible.

Fort Augustus itself is an interesting town to walk around and wake up in, the highlights being the views, the old abbey and a series of locks that link the Caledonian Canal to Loch Ness; my five year old was fascinated by the process of lowering the boat to Loch level and the road bridge swinging through 90 degrees, unfortunately not having being Thomas Telford's sidekick I couldn't manage all his questions!!

I would definitely return, hope this is helpful.

Room Tip: Be specific about bed and bathroom requirements. Views to the front over the Loch are at a premium...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank slj_10
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights at the Lovate in August, We found the staff to be very friendly and helpfull, our room was superb with lovely views and the standard of cleanliness was excellent. The full Scottish breakfast is not to be missed the brasseri menu gave us a superb choice and proved to be delicious. As this was our first visit to the Highlands we found the staff very willing to offer us advice on places to visit we found this very helpfull when planning our days out.We hope to return to the Lovat next year to continue our memorable Highland experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I recently spent part of our honeymoon at this wonderfully luxurious hotel overlooking Loch Ness. We arrived late in the evening and were very warmly welcomed by all available staff. We were shown to our room promptly and were blown away by the honeymoon suite - it was beautiful and very well furnished. The bed was absolutely huge and very comfortable - we both slept soundly during our visit. The bathroom was spectacular with a double walk in shower and a huge Victorian rolltop bath tub. There were also double sinks, a wall mounted hair dryer and a TV!
The antique wardrobe within the suite was beautiful, as was the huge ornate bed stead.
The hotel's restaurant was open on the night we arrived and we had the six course dinner which was exquisite - the chef is a culinary genius! Each course was hand crafted to resemble miniature meals, including a full English breakfast and a coffee interlude! The food was absolutely delicious and the service was impeccable throughout.
During our stay we became very familiar with the small, friendly staff who provide a very personal service and we spent one evening having a very enjoyable conversation about European travel with the sommelier.
When we awoke after our first night we were blown away by the breathtaking views of the Loch and surrounding area from our bedroom window, which we had missed as we had arrived late in the evening. Loch Ness is a mere 3 minute's walk from the hotel and is stunningly beautiful in the Autumn sunlight.
We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay at The Lovat and were incredibly sad to leave. We will definitely be returning many times! Thank you!

Room Tip: We stayed in the honeymoon suite, which was incredible and very good value. The hotel has external suites located to the left of the car park for more privacy. Ask for a room with a view of Loch Ness!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were travelling up west coast and decided to stop off for one night.Because we had two dogs we were put into room 31.Room was clean,well presented with all that was required.Under floor heating in a medium budget hotel a bit of a surprise(the dogs loved it).
Used the restaurant in the hotel and I have to say it compared well with some of the better restaurants in Glasgow. Good varied choice well priced and really well presented.Nice staff with just the right amount of attention.
The lounge with the roaring log fire was great ,superb place to chill out in.Staff were happy to let you feed the fire (within reason)

Breakfast.was probably the best I have had in the UK.Take the full Scottish,no grease on any of the eggs,bacon or sausage. Wonderful .........

Checkout was laid-back,and then a couple of cookies given to you to nibble on.
I have stayed in a lot of hotels that could do with taking lessons from The Lovat..

Would be good for a romantic stay.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff and tell/ask for what you want.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple