“Gem of a place”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fort Augustus
Gold Coast Qld
“Gem of a place”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Had a great 2 night stay here at the Lovat on our trip from Oz showing our Grandson some of his Heritage. Everything about the Lovat was cosy. My Husband and I are well world travelled and we both agree that the food and presentation is one of the best we have seen for a long time for such an establishment! So our compliments to the chef! The owner 8 think called Caroline works her butt off a very enthusiastic person!!!! Incase Management from the Lovat do read this, can I suggest, that, although the you g lady on the front reception desk appears very professional in her mannerisms .... Being pleasant and more approachable I feel would be more advisable for this position!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CeeGee1, Owner at The Lovat, Loch Ness, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor, it is greatly appreciated.

I will pass on your compliments to the Chef and have also noted your mention of me! Can I ask what the girl on reception looked like? We get so many comments on the friendliness of our team so I would like to get a better understanding of who the person may be and seek an explanation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Hebrew first
york,
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Our first stay at The Lovat but we have stayed at the other Gregory family owned hotel, The Torridon, many times. The Lovat is fully up to the Gregory standard. Our room (no 7) was excellent, very comfortable with an excellent bathroom. The meal in the dining room was spectacular and excelelemt value for such exciting food. Caroline Gregory is a wonderful, friendly and very hard working hostess. Extremely good value for money and a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2012
Aberdeen
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have just returned from my second stay at The Lovat. My boyfriend and I love the area around Fort Augustus, and stumbled upon this hotel about 6 months ago (when we had another completely 5* experience). When planning our next holiday, it was the first place that popped into our heads - and we weren't disappointed.

When we arrived the staff were lovely and smiley (I think the manager, Caroline, was the one who showed us to our room - carrying my bag and chatting all the way). We booked in for a Brasserie dinner and myself and my boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed our food - a real gourmet experience that lends the most luxurious feel to your stay. We stayed 3 nights (and got 30% off our room bill!) and ate at the hotel every single night; we purposely chose different dishes and The Lovat never failed to impress.

Our food and drinks bill at the end of our stay came to £200 (6 two-or-three-course dinners, wine, beer and liqueurs and several lunchtime coffees) which we both thought was more than reasonable for the quality of our meals. We chose one of the more expensive (although not the highest-priced) rooms, which had such a lovely huge bed which was spotlessly clean, and a gorgeous bathroom with a bath and shower. The TV had plenty of channels and the WiFi was faster than our Broadband at home!!

By our second night the staff knew what we liked to drink (sparkling water with ice and cucumber for me, Tennents for my boyfriend) and knew which room we were in so that we didn't have to keep reminding them about our tab. We made full use of the drawing room with the log fire and played many a game of chess and cards in the evenings before dinner.

The staff were knowledgeable about the surrounding area and offered to book us a tee-time for the local golf-course and ring them to ask if we could borrow a bag-trolley. When we left, the lovely man on reception (I've unfortunately forgotten his name) went on the internet and printed out driving directions for us to get home with no fuss at all, and gave us two extra of the complimentary home-made biscuits as we had a long drive ahead of us.

Finally - I work as a marine ecologist and I'm so, so impressed by The Lovat's efforts to be green. They do a cracking job at no cost to the experience of staying with them. I cannot praise this place enough - any negative reviews should be dismissed; this place has to be the best hotel myself and my boyfriend have stayed in.

Room Tip: I emailed The Lovat immediately after booking to ensure we had a bath in our bathroom; they responde...
West Wittering, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Upon arrival, we were greeted with some free hairdos [the hearts from Star Mix] in reception. Then, for some reason, we were checked-in at a makeshift reception which was a freestanding desk, despite there being an official reception next to it. The receptionist asked us whether or not any of us smoked [no], and then showed us to our rooms, which although adjacent in number were actually quite far apart.

We were greeted by various "freebies" including 330ml glass bottles of Highland Spring still and sparkling water, some shortbread, a copious amount of square paper and a lovely bag. The rooms were a decent size, they had televisions (one of them even had a television in the bathroom), Sky, and you can borrow a DVD player and DVDs for free from reception. The bathrooms were very big too.

Dinner was very good quality. Unfortunately we were unable to try the 5-course tasting menu which we had been looking forward to, as it turns out that this is not served on Mondays and Tuesdays, but the 3-course dinner which I enjoyed in the brasserie was very interesting and presented very nicely, and probably done in the same style as the tasting menu restaurant. I was amazed by the fact that the £23 steak was included on the "2 courses + half a bottle of wine for £20 deal"! I was very sad to only be dining there on one occasion, as I found that there were several gourmet options for each course which I wanted to try. Coffee and petit-fours was available after dinner, but we declined these as the very tired 8-year-old among us wanted to watch a film in bed, and given that one of us had to supervise her, only half of the family could have sampled this anyway.

The wow factor of the breakfast was the orange juice - freshly squeezed and unlimited! I have to have a good orange juice in the morning, and this was a bonus after having suffered cheap concentrated orange juice at the other hotels which I had recently visited. I was slightly disappointed that there were no pastries available at the breakfast, but they did have some interesting items such as banana chips, and hearty portions of smoked salmon were included. Their filter coffee was quite standard for a hotel breakfast, but I would have expected something slightly superior at this hotel. Perhaps I should have ordered a cappuccino!

When we sorted out the particulars, there were a few little problems, although these were easily corrected (they had not included the steak on the deal as promised, and they 14-year-old among us' soft drink despite him declining his half bottle of wine [for legal reasons, of course!]), and they gave us a bag of fresh cookies for free.

All in all I think that this is a very cosy little hotel, with gourmet food and friendly staff. I have every confidence that I will be returning again in the near future to try their 5-course tasting menu.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CeeGee1, Manager at The Lovat, Loch Ness, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback on Trip Advisor. We pay close attention to all of our reviews as they allow us to see where we can make changes to improve our guest experience. You make a number of interesting points which we would like to respond to.

Firstly, to avoid confusion for any potential future guests reading this review, we would just like to point out that we offer “Haribo” sweets rather than a “hair-do” in reception!
With regards to reception, we are actually in the middle of refurbishing and renovating our reception area. Work won’t be completed until January and we do accept that in the meantime the set up is a little confusing.

We are pleased to hear that you liked the rooms and their extras as well as being able to enjoy dinner in the brasserie, taking advantage of our great £20.00 deal before 6:30pm. We would like to add that steak is not normally included in the meal deal so to avoid confusion we have decided to clearly print the terms of our offers on the menus. We had slight confusion over the number of people within your party eating on this deal, so us tightening up on staff training will also help us avoid any of the minor problems you then went on to encounter on check out with your invoice.

Our orange juice is squeezed freshly on site every day so it’s lovely to know that our efforts are appreciated! Regarding the pastries – we do offer fresh croissants every day and feel that we offer an extensive continental buffet breakfast with cappucinos etc available on request at an additional charge.

We are delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay at The Lovat. We are a small team who work hard to provide a high standard of service to our guests so it is lovely to be recognised as being “friendly”. We very much look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future and hopefully to our fine dining restaurant as well!

Emma
Glasgow
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights in the Lovat on a short Highland break and were really impressed.
A lot of hotels in this part of the country are a bit tired and exude an air of faded grandeur. Not the Lovat. Even when we visited at the end of the season there was a sense of energy about the place.
We had a lovely meal in the Brasserie. Our room in the 'motel'(described as a studio) was on the small side, but was very modern and comfortable with a superb en suite wet room. The staff were helpful and courteous throughout and, a nice touch, gave us a cookie for our journey when we left
The Lovat isn't particularly cheap, but it is good.

Room Tip: Apparently there are great views from some rooms in the main hotel.
Crieff, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel many times over the past few years. It's a great base to explore the North West from and a very comfortable hotel to sit and relax in. Food is good and I've always found the staff helpful and attentive but not obtrusive.

Room Tip: If you're not going to be spending much time in your room, the chalets offer comfort and quality...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Crieftan
Thatcham, UK
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed for 1 night DB&B and our whole experience was wonderful. A small error when booking over the phone was handled so well it turned into a positive experience, including a room upgrade. The room itself (in the main hotel) was very comfortable with a massive bed and a lovely view across the mountains. All of the staff were extremely warm and friendly and made us feel very special. Scottish breakfast in the Brasserie was a treat, comprising local ingredients cooked and served with care. However the star of the show was the dinner we had in the fine dining restaurant. The food was spectacular: a five course sampler menu with unexpected and amusing combinations, beautifully presented and tasting just wonderful. We have had the fortune to eat a couple of times in Michelin-starred restaurants and this experience was at least as good, if not better.

A big thanks to all the staff, especially the chef, for giving us such a great weekend. We will be back!

1 Thank Berkshire_tripper
#2 of 3 in Drumnadrochit
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
#2 of 21 in Fort William

Been to The Lovat, Loch Ness? Share your experiences!