1,334 results
All reviewswet roomcookiesloch nessthe main hotellovely hotelstation roadunderfloor heatingfine diningopen firelarge bathroomlovely touchfood was amazingboth nightslittle toucheslovely roomcaledonian canala lovely stay
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Last minute night away found us in the small Highland town of Fort Augustus and in the "lovin' arms" of the Lovat Hotel.

We stayed in one of the adjacent misnamed Chalets (which immediatley gets you thinking of Butlins in the 70's) which are the last word in luxury especially the wet room - which is the best I have ever seen or used.

We're going back - so be warned Fort Augustus !!!

Room Tip: Grab a chalet
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We have family in the village and often come up to Fort Augustus usually staying with them but this time that wasn`t possible and so we decided to stay at the Lovat. Our accomodation was outwith the main building and looked to be a recent addition, it consisted of a double bedroom with large ensuite wet room, a parking space for the car was positioned right outside the door. all excellent for our purposes. My only gripe with the accomodation was that the heating was controlled by the hotel and not by the occupants, i could see this may present a problem but fortunately not for us, We only ate in the hotel at breakfast time and to be honest it was very disappointing, they halved the potato scones and the black pudding, which as the full scottish wasn`t a great feed and rather dry especially the bacon, didn`t impress, i asked on the first morning for bacon, potato scone and black pudding, i also only got half as far as the potato scone and the black pudding were concerned and only one small rasher of dry bacon, very unappetising, fortunately i am not a big eater of a morning, i only had toast thereafter, butter also seemed to be rationed and i waited ages for more to be brought out. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Lovat despite the breakfast being somewhat of a let down and would most definitely return due to the high standard of accomodation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
CeeGee1, Owner at The Lovat, Loch Ness, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Many thanks for your comments, which are appreciated. As always we are keen to learn of any experience to give us the chance to improve where required.

Bedroom heating – in 2007 the hotel underwent extensive refurbishment and we installed a woodchip boiler to provide central heating and hot water for the whole hotel. At that time, the hotel controlled the bedroom and bathroom temperature however due to customer feedback, in 2011 we spent £10,000 installing a new system that allows for WiFi control of all bedroom temperatures by each guest during their stay. The bedroom folders have the following information as guidance:

“CENTRAL HEATING
The central heating is provided by our biomass wood chip boiler. Wood chips are delivered by Raddery Sawmill located on the Black Isle.

The central heating system is all computerised by a bespoke programme made specifically for The Lovat so the temperature in the bedroom & bathroom can be adjusted inter-dependently.

The bathroom temperatures are controlled by Reception & are usually kept at a higher temperature than the bedroom for your comfort & convenience so please keep the bathroom door closed to maintain this balance.

Bedroom temperature – you can control the temperature yourself by turning the dial on the wall.
Temperatures & time clocks may vary weather dependant”

Perhaps this information was misinterpreted or possibly we have some old information lurking in the background around the hotel? If that is the case then it would be really helpful if you could point me in the direction of where you read the information so we can update it accordingly. Since your review, we have re-written the information for the Studio bedrooms because these rooms have under-floor heating which is different to the main building and changes the heating dynamics. We have also altered our woodchips supplier and now use a more local business – Highland Wood Energy so thanks for bringing our attention to the guest folder which is now up-to-date!

Breakfast – I couldn’t agree more – what you received was pathetic and an insult to the food on the plate – it should be an amount that can be savoured and enjoyed. On the back of your feedback we have retrained the team and also changed some of our operating procedures. Breakfast is such an important meal of the day and also the last meal memory a guest will have so vitally important to get it right.

As always we know we aren’t perfect but we aim to push forward and maintain consistency to exceed expectations.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Another comfortable, relaxing stay at The Lovat, Loch Ness.

Excellent facilities, high class food (dinner and breakfast) and great service. The attention to detail makes all the difference. Thank you.

I'm sure we'll be back again

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Have had the pleasure of staying here twice on business recently (and once late last year). The first time we arrived quite late, and despite the bar being closed, the lovely girl on reception (who I'm sure wanted to do nothing more than get to her bed) cheerfully got us some drinks and snacks.
One of the evening meals I had was probably the best meal I've had in the past year, and, what was particularly refreshing was the waitress having an opinion when asked 'which would you recommend?'. Often, at other establishments, the same question has been answered with a bland statement like 'they are all really nice'.
I've stayed in a few different rooms there now, and they have all been excellent. On my last visit I was in the Grand Master room. My goodness! Luxury.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. The location is excellent, the food unbeatable, the style and furnishing consistently luxurious, and all this with award winning environmental credentials, but probably the best thing is the quality of the staff who genuinely seem to want to ensure that your stay is as enjoyable as it possibly can be.

Room Tip: The Grand Master room (suite?) was one of the finest rooms I've ever been in.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Having been recommended The Lovat by a friend, my wife and I found this delightful hotel exceeded all our expectations, the friendly staff, the good sized bedroom with dual aspect views (one of Loch Ness) all helped to make us feel welcome during our two night stay.

The hotel prides itself on sourcing local produce for its Restaurant and Brasserie, this ensured some quality meals, indeed we both struggled to recall a better meal than the one we had in their fine dining restaurant. As a qualified chef I initially approached the set six course dinnerl with a degree of suspicion, but the combination of ingredients, coupled with a relaxed explanation of the source of said ingredients by the waiter, all helped to deliver a great experience. The Brasserie meal and both breakfasts were similarly a cut above the normal fare.

Downsides were few and far between, the expansive lawn was cut the night before we left and I found my car - which was parked in the adjacent car park - covered in grass clippings the next morning, I did mention this at the time and the hotel offered to wash my car, unfortunately pressure of time meant this was not possible.

We left the hotel clutching the freshly cooked biscuits given to us as a parting gift for the journey home, both thinking of excuses for a return visit to the region so we would be able to return to this excellent hotel.

We would whole heartedly recommend this wonderful independent hotel to anyone intending to visit this part of the Highlands, as it provides good value for money on all fronts and superior accommodation. We loved it!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Baron_Von_Linden
CeeGee1, Owner at The Lovat, Loch Ness, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Your comments have pride of place on our staff noticeboard so thank you!

Grass cutting - as mentioned on your departure, this job is contracted out so I was pretty distressed to hear of your findings. The company was contacted immediately to inform them of your dis-satisfaction. It was a shame that you were not able to take us up on the carwash due to your neccesity to get on the road but we are thankful that the event didn't spoil your overall experience.

I guess the hotel's green ethos took on a whole knew meaning!