“A great location”

and 1 more site!
Caledonian House
Ranked #15 of 27 Fort Augustus B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I was looking for somewhere to stay on my way from Glasgow Airport to up near Cape Wrath and this suited well. I had a room overlooking the Caledonian Canal and the flight of locks. The room is small (which I knew from the website) as is the bathroom but I wanted a view across the locks. It was clean and the bed was very comfy. There was a good welcome from the owner and the breakfast was excellent.

I think I paid a little too much for my room. I was my own and I believe the room was priced for double occupancy. Still, I should have queried the cost had I been that concerned.

Room Tip: Book room 1 if you want a view of the locks.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank alan_uk_8

Reviewed May 8, 2012

My boyfriend, his parents and I stayed here on a recent trip through the highlands.

First of all, it is in a great location, right along the canal. My boyfriend and I enjoyed watching boats go through the locks from our room.

The rooms and bathrooms were small but clean and had everything we needed.

Breakfast was great-- I highly recommend the continental if you are tired of full Scottish breakfasts-- 2 warm flaky croissants, crisp grapes and beautiful sliced cheeses.

Only complaint was a bit of weird noise from 10:30-11:00 at night when we were trying to go to sleep-- loud music sounding like a live band was playing underneath our room and someone's msn was left on with full volume. But, it all stopped around 11:00/11:30pm.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We had a great stay - allowed to bring our dog in, parking was easy, great breakfast, very friendly host - even sent me my pyjamas later, all washed and ironed (I left them behind). One minute from the locks, Loch Ness, and several pubs serving food. What more could you want?

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Spotlessly clean, welcoming and with a hearty breakfast. If you're walking the GGW, be sure to include this in your itinerary. Recommend the Lock Inn (50mtrs) for evening meal.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Artesia_10
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here last weekend (30 March to 1 April), room very comfortable and clean with fresh flowers. Breakfasts were superb, location fantastic and view of Caledonain canal stunning and luckily sun shone the whole weekend! But best of all is landlady Carol who is so genuine and friendly and we came away feeling like we had made a new friend. We would love to go back again and can recommend this lovely home from home.

Room Tip: We had the room on the ground floor which suited us very well. Bedrooms on first floor at rear bene...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This was our second stay here and it was just as good as last time. We stayed in the room overlooking the canal and it was a lovely view each morning. Carol gave us advice on where to eat, where all the local amenities were and she made us feel very welcome on our arrival. Breakfast was superb and kept us going all day whilst we out walking along the caledonian canal. I would recommend this place and would return again

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Arrived at approx 6pm on a Friday night for our two night stay we were here as part of a larger group for our annual 350z car weekend we were the only ones of our group who stayed here.

Carol welcomed us so warmly we felt we'd known her for ages she is such a warm and friendly person always smiling :-)

We had the room overlooking the Bank bed and breakfast it was small and comforable the bed was very very comfortable ample space in wardroe for our clothes and yes I'd too much with me for two days!!! The en-suite shower room was very small but perfectly adequete.

Carol recommended the Boat House and The Lock Inn for food and we tried both, both were good and we were impressed by the staff in both coping with the large party of 21 of us the portion sizes were huge!!

However we still managed our fantastic cooked breakfast both days back at Caledonian House it was perfectly cooked and piping hot only sorry I had to leave some of it as I just couldn't finish it :-(

Lastly we had to leave straight after breakfast on the Sunday as we were going on a long drive and also heading home afterwards the lovely young girl who was serving breakfast said she would get Carol for us as we still had to pay our bill, so right in the middle of the breakfast service Carol came and sat with us for a good ten minutes chatting :-)

Oh nearly forgot my husband was extremely happy to be allowed to use the hose to wash his pride and joy before our Sunday drive sorry he didn't do yours too !!

Hoping to return someday soon thank you Carol we had a lovely time

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple