“Two Pounds Well Spent”
Review of Rare Breeds & Children’s Farm - CLOSED

Rare Breeds & Children’s Farm
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I arrived at dusk and thought that it was closed. Instead we found an honor donation box and the gate was unlatched. We dropped in our two pounds each and tentatively walked inside.

It was a bit creepy being the only visitors as it was getting dark. We didn't see a single staff member and even encounter a sheep who had escaped it's enclosure and was desperate to get back it its friends. Unfortunately, as there was no workers around, we couldn't help the poor sheep. It was freaked out by the sight of us and we couldn't get anywhere near it.

I think this was more of a farm, than a petting zoo. With the exception of one nippy goat, all of the animals skittered away when we came near the fences. It's a great place to see animals, but don't expect much interaction. They really do have some beautiful creatures!

I don't agree with the reviews that the croft was run down or that the animals seemed unhappy. It felt more like a working farm, than a kids farm or something for entertainment. Maybe since it was dark, we couldn't see that it was run down? In any case, I've worked at a zoo and there was nothing about this place that seemed bad for the animals.

I enjoyed my visit here and would recommend it.

Like my review? Check out my blog!

1  Thank Karen H
There are newer reviews for Rare Breeds & Children’s Farm

Reviewed October 8, 2013

there's a story behind this one, we really wanted to see the old railway piers close up, as we both enjoy history, and this was how to do it, we got down to the farm and it was a £2 entrance fee, all toward the upkeep of the animals, so we thought, yes we want to come on your land we'll pay the fee it's only £2 each all goes to a good cause, then we said well we might as well have a look, no it's not very big, don't really know what people expect, this isn't Edinburgh Zoo, don't do thinking it is, it's not some super safari park, don't go thinking it is, it's largely a rescue centre, but the animals are all in good condition, and looked after, we both love animals so to us they were cute, beautiful etc, the pigmy goats, the daft chickens with feathers all down their legs, braken the little rescued roe dear, the pig fast asleep in his pen, rabbits, if you like animals and take it for what it is you won't be disappointed go and see it

Reviewed October 2, 2013

It's a nice walk up the river and you are left to your own devices once there. Our two year old had great fun looking at the chickens and rabbits, but it's a pretty lacklustre set up. A bit more info on each enclosure and animal would be good. The animals looked in good condition, and basically this is someone's smallholding that is open for public to walk round rather than a proper tourist attraction. But for 2 quid, you really can't complain. Plus you can see what you're going to get from the entrance hut so if you don't like what you see there, don't bother as it doesn't get any better! It was sunny when we went, but would be pretty dreich in the rain. There are no toilets on site.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Been here twice, 1st time was in April, thought they just started the farm because of the state of it. I went again last week with my husband and nothing changed, this farm is a disgrace to tourism, animals look really sad and not cared for. The disclosures are a danger to both animals and visitors and the Shetland pony's are the saddest creatures I have ever seen.
I am from Holland originally, a place like this would be shut down immediately down there. Maybe some rescued animals down there, but are they really better of? Not the best advertising for animal welfare in Scotland unfortunately

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My family and I visited this attraction purely to kill some time whilst waiting to take a boat cruise tour in Fort Augustus.

Had the honesty box have been at the end of the trail rather than the start we felt we wouldn't have paid anything such was oarea disappointment.

The pens that the animals were kept in all require major work, in some instances what appeared to be sawn off scaffold poles were used and in our opinion presented a possible danger to the animals.

Some pens had not been cleaned out for a considerable period of time, in particular the pen which housed the donkeys and ponies. This pen was full of the animals excrement, the floor of the shelter was deep and compacted with the stuff. Little wonder the animals looked so depressed.

One pen housed a young deer, which the sign stated had been found by a member of the public. In our opinion an animal like this shouldn't be housed in a manner such as this place, the deer should have been taken to people who are experts in dealing with such situations.

The deer even ran up to the fence to be petted, this was so out of character for a creature that should be timid of human interaction by nature.

In our opinion this "attraction" is in need of some major work to entitle it to charge members of the public to view the animals kept there. More so, improvement is essential for the welfare of the animals housed there.

A huge disappoinment given the area's commitment for wildlife conservation.

2  Thank 6a1dr1ck