“Lovely staff and simple, comfortable, homely accommodation”
Review of Morag's Lodge

Morag's Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at Morag's Lodge for two evenings whilst touring the Highlands with Haggis Adventures. The experience was so lovely that I could have happily stayed there much longer. The accommodation was simple and comfortable, giving the lodge an extremely homely atmosphere. Dotted around the lodge were objects and items- a stack of books for exchange, a piano, laptops with free wi-fi, bean bags, cards and board games etc.- which really made our group feel comfortable and at home. What really made the experience so great was the attitude of the staff. They were always present and approachable, and went beyond simply doing their jobs to ensure we had a great time. They provide fun activities in the bar in the evening- bar trivia, karaoke- and, when our tour group got snowed in one morning, put a good movie on and brought out bowls of popcorn and chips, to make sure everyone still had a great start to the day. This was a wonderful place to base ourselves while we explored the Highlands.

Room Tip: The rooms are all well separated from the bar and communal areas, so you should get a good night'...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had a room in Castle section. It was small but we had our own bathroom which is really great. And the shower, wow! Hot water and the water flow was perfect! Bed was comfy. Many electric plugs in the room. The main problem with the room was the bunk bed.It was pretty scary for the one that had to sleep on top because there is no bars at all and the ceiling is so close.

Wi-Fi didn't work in the common areas as promised but the is 3 laptops all guests can use. We had lasagna and a delicious salad for dinner. For breakfast, we bought things in town. It is just a little walk away.

We were not lucky because at 2am we had been woken up by a fire alarm... A false alarm I think it is unfortunate that nobody took the time to explain or apologize for the inconvenience. Oh and about the roof being close, if you didn't understand what I meant: when she heard the alarm, my sister, sleeping above my bed, violently hit her head on the ceiling.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Great people good times a really nice cozy place to stay everything you need in the one place I highly recommend staying here the atmosphere is everything you want after touring the highlands and its just a short walk away from town

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had a great time at Morag's. We stayed here for a Haggis Tour. We were treated with a quiz night and a Tartan Toga party. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Our rooms were neat and clean. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm with an adjoining bathroom, again clean. I beleive you can request a private room. Shower was hot and water pressure good. The 2 dinner meals we at were delicious. Although a round-a-bout drive to get to Morag's Lodge, it is only a 2 minute walk to the town.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room that is not above the bar as you can still hear the music...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Friendly staff, a quaint feel and atmosphere to the place, an excellent bar with decent prices and on some nights live entertainment. I spent two of the drunkest nights of my life in that bar. There was also decent affordable food. A very good hostel. Would stay here again if I came back to Scotland and I intend to.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had really loved the place until we found rat poop on one of our bunk beds. Until we saw it, the rooms and bathrooms were clean, the hostel staff was great, the breakfast/dinner options were cheap and the late night entertainment was fantastic. If it just hadn't been for the rat poop, we would have rated this place quite high. Oh well...

Room Tip: Try to get the Skye room at the far end which has a dedicated bathroom and toilet for two 4-bed room...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Moragslodge, General Manager at Morag's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Hi there and Thanks for your review.
We are very sorry that you feel your room was not to the high standard we promise our guests. We do try to ensure our staff are always on hand resolve any issues raised with us at the time and I hope you did not also have problems in this respect.
I can assure you we have regular pest control checks and have had no other incidence of this nature.
I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.
If you feel there is anything further we can help you with, please feel free to contact me at peterd@moragslodge.com.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was at this hostel as part of a tour I was on. From the moment I arrived I knew it was going to be great. The staff were really friendly and helpful. You can also buy an affordable dinner on site and there is always a veggie option. The rooms were really clean; mine had an en-suite too. The internet was pretty good and there were lockers (bring your own lock). I wish I had longer here, the place had a great vibe.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
#2 of 2 in Invermoriston
Highland Club Scotland
Highland Club Scotland
#2 of 10 in Fort Augustus

Been to Morag's Lodge? Share your experiences!