“fabulous wedding venue”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fort Augustus
Pickering, United Kingdom
“fabulous wedding venue”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just returned from our son's wedding here at the Inch hotel. What a faboulous place, stunning views, fantastic food and great rooms. An "old fashioned" well run venue which ticked all the boxes for a superb experience, we will be back to visit again as the food was exceptional and the manager and staff gave superb service

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank clark_june
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Congratulations from all of us here at the Inch. It was a pleasure serving you on your special day. So glad you had a memorable occasion!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
glasgow scotland
Reviewed November 13, 2012

my husband and i are just back from a 2 night stay at Inch hotel. It was a lovely old fashioned lodge with character . our room was room mhor , it was a nice room , very clean with comfortable bed , only downside was the sink in the bedroom as opposed to the bathroom and the view of the fire escape . Otherwise a very clean and nice room . Dinner was superb, very good quality ingredients and lovely presentation. Lovely dining room too, very fresh and clean. breakfast was also lovely and a nice relaxing start to the day.
The front sitting room looked in pictures and literature that it was warm and cosy but to my disapointment it was a cold and seemingly unused room , i would have loved to have sat there in the morning with a pot of coffee , reading my newspaper and taking in the views but it didnt feel very welcoming to be honest..
the bar was lovely , characterful and snug , a bit dated but really just a nice place to have a nightcap . Marian the manager was very nice , friendly and efficient whenever we saw him.
we will be back in the future though .

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time out to review us in such a positive way. We are all delighted you enjoyed your stay and Marian says 'hi!' The lounge is lovely and warming when the fire is on, which we will ensure for your next trip, it's being redecorated in January too, so we will look forward to serving you a cuppa with the view next time you want to chill in the morning. Best wishes from the whole team.
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this Hotel for my husband's Birthday and we had a fantastic stay. Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean. Bathroom had piping hot water and the bed was very comfortable, what more do you want? The meal was beautiful and could not be faulted. The staff were extremely friendly and during our superb breakfast went out of their way to make sure we had everything we wanted. Warm, cosy and welcoming. Spot on!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 27Scotland
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank your from the whole team for such a lovely review. It really warms the heart on a frosty morning! So glad you had a good trip, and hope to see you again. Best wishes from us all.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I got a deal through groupon the main bonus was a dog friendly hotel, this was certainly the case,we where greeted by a very friendly manager Marian who could not wait to see the dogs even giving them a welcome treat, the room was really clean and well equipped, the hotel is a wee bit tired but this adds to its charm and the location looking down to the loch is lovely. This may be 3 star but the food punched well above its weight, with local venison and salmon that were delicious. Marian worked really hard to please guests and was extremely accommodating. Just returned back and already planning our next visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Well, thank you so much for your charming review. Marian says 'hi' as he runs out the door for his first day off in ages. He's going to inverness - bright lights, big city! Paul and Ali, the chefs, are delighted you enjoyed the food and the whole team are looking forward to seeing you again. Warm regards from us all.
Yucaipa, California
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My daughter & I and two cousins stayed for two nights in Oct. We found the Inch to be a welcoming place. We loved the little bar under the stairs and had a nightcap of Port both nights. the manager made my daughter a hot toddy when he knew she wasn't feeling well. Yes the rooms are a little outdated, but that is part of the overall charm of the Inch. Breakfast was good, we didn't have dinner here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gini A
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Hi California from a cold and sunny day at the Inch! Your review has convinced me to take a small port in front of the fire this evening after a long walk. We're all delighted you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for reviewing the Inch.
renfrew scotland
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I got a deal through laterooms which stated said check in at 2pm however on our arrival were we confronted by frosty faced women who said check in was 3pm, that's fair enough it appears then that laterooms got the details wrong. What you don't need is the cheeky attitude when I apologised and pointed out that was on our booking form, she didn't even say sorry but laterooms got it wrong she was not nice at all infact if it wasn't for the fact that we couldn't cancel I would have left there and then. I went outside to explain to my partner when a Romanian employer approached us and asked if everything ok , we said we were a bit bit early he was so nice and helpful and sayed we could have drink or tea and coffee infact it was his hospitality and manner that made me say I may return to this hotel. Later on in the evening the frosty faced and mannered female was serving in the bar and again her attitude was not inviting, I don't run a business but if I did I would seriously be having a talk with the female and get her to think about her manner. We ate in the hotel and the food was lovely, again the romainian chap was lovely , helpful and made our stay enjoyable. So I would like to take the time to thank him it was a pleasure dealing with him and I hope the owner appreciate this employer, thanks again to him.

Room Tip: I gave service excellent as Romanian chap made it so.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you for such a lovely review - we are all delighted you enjoyed your stay. Marian (the firendly manager you refer to) says 'hi.' Hope to see you again sometimes and warmest wishes from us all.
glasgow
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The entirety of the email I have just sent the manager:

To whom it may concern,

I'm not particularly sure how to address this email, unfortunately I do feel the need to report what happened a few nights ago.

While staying on our boat in Fort Augustus a few nights ago, my friend and I decided to walk from the town to your hotel for something to eat. We checked your website and at no mention of reservations being required we set off on foot, in the dark, looking forward to some well- reviewed food at the other end. However at the end of our half hour walk, we were greeted by the most unwelcoming staff member we have ever come across, and having worked in the hospitality industry for a combined 20 years, that's saying something.

We were informed that a) we needed a reservation to eat here and b) no, we couldn't make a reservation to do so, all the while the young 'lady' who had received us looked anywhere but at us and at one point, had a conversation (in Polish, my friend informed me) above our heads with another member of staff.

As it was around 7.30, and there were a mere four people in the restaurant at the time, I have to say I was, and am rather baffled at this behaviour; Perhaps you are managing to do what many of us can't, and are defying the recession and therefore don't need business, or perhaps this particular staff member just couldn't be bothered with a couple of people who were looking for nothing more than some good food and wine?.. The latter was certainly the impression I was given on this visit.

I'm sure that the food we had in one of the pubs in Fort Augustus wasn't nearly of your standard, but in terms of warmth, attention and basic customer service we will most certainly be going there, or anywhere else in the region before gracing your doorstep again.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank taintedrainbow
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Hi. Thank you for taking the time to write in. I have checked the roster for the day you came, and the restaurant was indeed fully booked that evening, as if has often been of late. We are sorry that you had to walk so far only to find out we were full. Michelle, the lady you did not take to, says she is very sorry if you were offended. She was speaking Romanian to her partner to try and get you a table, which he could not manage. It is a shame you did not get the chance to try our well reviewed local produce. Best wishes, Alan.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Augustus
#2 of 3 in Spean Bridge
Cluanie Inn
Cluanie Inn
#1 of 1 in Glenmoriston

Been to Inch Hotel? Share your experiences!