“Charming place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fort Augustus
Yucaipa, California
“Charming place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

My daughter & I and two cousins stayed for two nights in Oct. We found the Inch to be a welcoming place. We loved the little bar under the stairs and had a nightcap of Port both nights. the manager made my daughter a hot toddy when he knew she wasn't feeling well. Yes the rooms are a little outdated, but that is part of the overall charm of the Inch. Breakfast was good, we didn't have dinner here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gini A
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Hi California from a cold and sunny day at the Inch! Your review has convinced me to take a small port in front of the fire this evening after a long walk. We're all delighted you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for reviewing the Inch.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
renfrew scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I got a deal through laterooms which stated said check in at 2pm however on our arrival were we confronted by frosty faced women who said check in was 3pm, that's fair enough it appears then that laterooms got the details wrong. What you don't need is the cheeky attitude when I apologised and pointed out that was on our booking form, she didn't even say sorry but laterooms got it wrong she was not nice at all infact if it wasn't for the fact that we couldn't cancel I would have left there and then. I went outside to explain to my partner when a Romanian employer approached us and asked if everything ok , we said we were a bit bit early he was so nice and helpful and sayed we could have drink or tea and coffee infact it was his hospitality and manner that made me say I may return to this hotel. Later on in the evening the frosty faced and mannered female was serving in the bar and again her attitude was not inviting, I don't run a business but if I did I would seriously be having a talk with the female and get her to think about her manner. We ate in the hotel and the food was lovely, again the romainian chap was lovely , helpful and made our stay enjoyable. So I would like to take the time to thank him it was a pleasure dealing with him and I hope the owner appreciate this employer, thanks again to him.

Room Tip: I gave service excellent as Romanian chap made it so.
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you for such a lovely review - we are all delighted you enjoyed your stay. Marian (the firendly manager you refer to) says 'hi.' Hope to see you again sometimes and warmest wishes from us all.
glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

The entirety of the email I have just sent the manager:

To whom it may concern,

I'm not particularly sure how to address this email, unfortunately I do feel the need to report what happened a few nights ago.

While staying on our boat in Fort Augustus a few nights ago, my friend and I decided to walk from the town to your hotel for something to eat. We checked your website and at no mention of reservations being required we set off on foot, in the dark, looking forward to some well- reviewed food at the other end. However at the end of our half hour walk, we were greeted by the most unwelcoming staff member we have ever come across, and having worked in the hospitality industry for a combined 20 years, that's saying something.

We were informed that a) we needed a reservation to eat here and b) no, we couldn't make a reservation to do so, all the while the young 'lady' who had received us looked anywhere but at us and at one point, had a conversation (in Polish, my friend informed me) above our heads with another member of staff.

As it was around 7.30, and there were a mere four people in the restaurant at the time, I have to say I was, and am rather baffled at this behaviour; Perhaps you are managing to do what many of us can't, and are defying the recession and therefore don't need business, or perhaps this particular staff member just couldn't be bothered with a couple of people who were looking for nothing more than some good food and wine?.. The latter was certainly the impression I was given on this visit.

I'm sure that the food we had in one of the pubs in Fort Augustus wasn't nearly of your standard, but in terms of warmth, attention and basic customer service we will most certainly be going there, or anywhere else in the region before gracing your doorstep again.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank taintedrainbow
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Hi. Thank you for taking the time to write in. I have checked the roster for the day you came, and the restaurant was indeed fully booked that evening, as if has often been of late. We are sorry that you had to walk so far only to find out we were full. Michelle, the lady you did not take to, says she is very sorry if you were offended. She was speaking Romanian to her partner to try and get you a table, which he could not manage. It is a shame you did not get the chance to try our well reviewed local produce. Best wishes, Alan.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed in the Loch Ness room for our honeymoon. The room itself is lovely, but the bathroom/toilet let it down. It was in major need of a deep clean and updating. As the building is old, there was limited ventilation and this had an effect on the ceiling and walls. The paint was coming away and there was mold growing on the ceiling. The door to the room was also very hard to lock. These were the only negatives and they were with the room itself.
The staff were friendly and the food was lovely. The bar had a range to pick from and it was nice to have on location. The building was amazing and the view beautiful.

Room Tip: As a honeymoon room the Loch Ness was not as nice as I thought it could be. This is mostly down to t...
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us - much appreciated. We are glad that your stay was 90% positive, and have already turned our attention to the details you mentioned. The entire hotel is being redecroated top to toe in January (the end of a four year restoration project) ao maybe we will see you when it has all been refreshed. Thanks again for your time, you were charming guests and a joy to have around.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

On arrival the exterior look of the Inch Hotel was good, however inside was a different tale.
The old and worn decor was in need of a lot of upgrading to make it welcoming and old cooking smells pervaded throughout the downstairs lobby.
At reception the girl on the desk was abrupt and indifferent to the fact that we had requested twin beds in the room but in fact had been supplied with a double bed.After 3 requests another duvet was finally sent to the room.By this time we had discovered that there was no hot water to be had in the room and when we reported this at reception the answer was "We have sent for a plumber who may come tonight but if not he'll come tomorrow".We asked if we could have a different room but were told that as the hotel was full this could not be done tonight but arrangements would be made for us to be moved to another room the following day(- in the evening it seemed that we were staying with about 4 other couples so where were all the other guests?).
It seems that the hotel is being run by a couple from the Eastern Block who appear offhand,curt, inefficient and clearly out of their depth at running a hotel.
At the evening meal the food was overpriced and not good at all my wife had to send a "well done" steak back because it came to the table pink inside.It was at this point that we told the waiter/manager that we would not be staying a second night as previously had been planned - this was received without comment.
During the night it soon became apparent that the walls were far from soundproof as every sound (and I mean EVERY sound ) could be heard.In the bathroom the light brought on a very noisy old extractor fan which woke us both up at every visit to the wc. The windows were dirty and there was a strange smell in the wardrobe (like a lavender draw freshener had been left inside.The room was cramped and the decor quite scruffy.The continued lack of hot water made life very unpleasant for us and we could not wait to leave this hotel.
In the morning on checking out my wife asked for a reduction in price for the room which resulted in a rather unpleasant exchange between her and the manager.Finally a grudging 33% reduction was offered which we took and immediately left never to return.
The hotel would benefit from a makeover in all areas and some staff training in interpersonal skills if not a different set of employees.
We will never return to this hotel nor would we reccommend it to anyone else - the whole experience ruined my wife's birthday treat.

Room Tip: Use another hotel
2 Thank CPB50
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Oh dear. From the minute you stepped in the door, we seem to have got everything wrong about your stay. Absolutely everything, and that makes us very sad and apologetic. It is simply awful that your holiday was ruined and we hope that you found a building and people more to your taste when you moved on. For the record, the management couple are from Romania (The 'Eastern Bloc' has not existed for 25 years), and our team have staff from four countries, including Scotland. They are extraordinarily hard working, talented and fun and I will always stand up for them, particularly when someone chooses to use their ethnicity as a cause for criticism in any forum. I believe your wife is Russian, so am surprised you saw fit to mention this. That aside, I can only apologise that you such a terrible ordeal in our generally well received establishment. I'm genuinely sorry. A.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

A wonderful hotel. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They do everything they can to make sure you have everything you need and have a great trip. The rooms are lovely. Comfy beds, beautifully decorated, great en-suite facilities. A delicious Scottish breakfast accompanied by stunning views of Loch Ness from the dining room. Perfect location for walks in the forest, wildlife watching (bats!!), spotting the loch ness monster and relaxing in fort augustus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lucy R
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Well hello there batgirls! As always, your charming company is enjoyed by everybody who works at the Inch. I hope we will see you again soon, and will do our best to help keep the bat count, and the rest of our natural environment, conserved. You rock!
Leek, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel was an experience, the staff made us feel very welcome, the rooms where a little tired but the food was outstanding ,we could not complain about the three course meal and the massive breakfast we recieved.
The bar had plenty of local whiskey and ales we really enjoyed our stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nichola E
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to visit Tripadvisor and mention the Inch. You were charming guests and we really appreciete your custom as well as your feedback. Kind regards from the team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Augustus
#1 of 3 in Drumnadrochit
Invergarry Hotel
Invergarry Hotel
#2 of 2 in Invergarry

Been to Inch Hotel? Share your experiences!