“No worries stay”
Review of Inch Hotel

Inch Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fort Augustus
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights. Granted, I'm not very picky: a hotel for me is not a destination per se, rather its where I pass out at the end of the day, but I had no complaints about this hotel. Yes, it's "quirky" and not static like a chain hotel, but it's got character and is neat and well kept. It's a short (15-20) minute walk from the village center. I never saw a staff person who did not smile and greet me. Even when I ran into them "downtown" they smiled and said "Hello!" There are several walks you can take if you have a few minutes, and the woods behind the hotel are a nice quiet scenic hike with a small brook. There's not much traffic passing, so it's pretty quiet even in the loch view rooms facing the road. I regret to say I did not eat in the restaurant (I eat at odd hours) but the food smelled delicious! My only other regret is that I did not take advantage of the outdoor activities offered by the hotel. (I had my own agenda to attend to this trip) but when I return in the future, I will be sure to take advantage of this service. It's a good place to use as "base camp" to explore the highlands as there are many attractions with a driveable range. For a first trip to Scotland, I was not let down or disappointed.

Room Tip: I stayed in the "Loch Tarff" room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Captain_Adventure
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Hi there! Marian, Michelle an the team say 'thank you' for making the effort to review your stay. You were an absolutley charming guest and welcome back any time. Hope your trip and projects went well. Best wishes.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

This lovely hotel enjoys a fantastic location overlooking loch ness! We were shown to room 11, a large room with bathroom en suite and a fabulous view over the loch! The bed linen was fresh and clean as were the towels, however the room itself was very tired and could have done with a good clean! Another disappointment was that there was a large dressing table completely covering another window which would have given us another good view. The staff at the inch were very warm and friendly and the breakfast was amazing! We did return to our room one evening and were totally confused because the door suddenly had a name and not a number! We left the Inch feeling optimistic that the owners are starting a refurbishment programme, please don't lose the old fashioned charm of the place but just a good clean and a fresh paint job would transform this stunning building! We will return in the future because we did enjoy our stay!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Dubmobile
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

On behalf of the team, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review. You are right - refurbishment is a constant process. We bought this ancient lodge with a vision, and it is really heartwarming that you noticed, and remarked uopn, what we are trying to do. It warms our hearts further that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Visited the hotel in December of 2011 with my boyfriend, using a Groupon voucher for a 2 night stay. We arrived at the hotel and were delighted, the room was lovely and traditional, plenty of room and even had a jacuzzi bath. There was even a dusting of snow outside to set the place off beautifully.

That evening we popped into the village for dinner, with a view to have our dinner in the hotel the second evening. When we returned to the hotel later that evening there was no electricity - the place was in darkness. There had been bad weather a couple of days before, so we weren't too concerned - we expected it would be back on shortly and went off to bed. That's when things started to go downhill.

By morning the electricity was still not on and by now our room was decidedly chilly. I popped down to see if there was any news and whether breakfast would be available (as there was gas - cooking was still possible). I was grumbled at by the male member of staff, who clearly wasn't happy at the prospect. I was told to come back in an hour and he'd see what he could do. The chef hadn't turned up because of the power issue.

We went down an hour later and again were grumbled at when we asked for cooked breakfasts and hot tea. We changed our order to just bacon and eggs because we were told we'd have to wait a very long time for a full breakfast. Then when other people came in, we saw they were getting better treatment and there was no effort required to supply them with cooked breakfasts. Maybe this was because we were using a voucher? The breakfast arrived undercooked.

We put it down to bad luck and went out for the day. On our return later that afternoon, the power was still off. (The power was on in neighbouring properties and the rest of the village, so we did find this a little strange). We cuddled up in the bedroom for a while, feeling a bit depressed at the idea of showers in a room where you could see your breath. We had been given an extra duvet for the bed, that had been put in the room while we were out. As we were frozen, I asked my partner to ask for a pot of hot water to make tea in the room (as the kettle was out of action). He went down to reception and the same man gave an absolute 'NO'. I couldn't believe it! I felt that with the disruption to our break that a pot of hot water shouldn't have been a bother.

We went back into the village again for dinner, as we couldn't eat in the hotel, and thankfully when we returned (as late as possible) we were pleased to see that the power was just back on. In the morning the next day, at least the breakfast was better now that the chef was back.

We were meant to receive a bottle of wine as part of our deal, but this was never offered.

On checking out I was going to mention the fact that I wasn't happy that we couldn't have hot water & the wine, but no one was there at reception. I waited for some time and no one appeared. It would have been nice to have been able to review our stay.

We absolutely understand that these things happen, and was outwith the control of the hotel. It was the fact that at no time did we get an apology or the offer of a hot cuppa in the freezing cold. We were just given 1 small candle for our room, so if one of us needed the toilet one of us would have to be in the dark! It wouldn't have taken much effort to have made our stay more comfortable and something to just have a laugh about. Lovely setting, lovely hotel, just a shame catering to us seemed a bit too much of an effort.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Th1rsty_K1rsty
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Hi there. Thank you for the positive comments, and apologies that the detail of the rescue effort did not meet your expectations. I remember that weekend well - the sight of the staff cooking breakfast by torchlight was one I will never forget. It was a challenge indeed and we tried to make it a 'Whicky Galore' experience rather than the outright disaster it could have been. Sorry that you didn;t have quite as much of a laugh as some of the other guests. We will probably be extremely nice to the gentlemen from the electricity board so that, if there is ever a repeat, they do us first!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Having visited this fine establishment before I was anticipating my return, along with 2 friends visiting from Canada. I have to say I wasn't disappointed and my Canadian friends were absolutely delighted. The staff are so friendly and welcoming. They work very hard but always have time for you.Nothing is ever a problem. The chef must be congratulated for providing a culinary experience to match any Michelin restaurant.The added benefit is you will never leave here hungry! The breakfast is amazing. My bedroom was situated overlooking Loch Ness and the view was stunning.Is there a better view in this area? I doubt it.! The decor is traditional and might not be to the taste of those who prefer modern and plastic. However for me it remains one of the most endearing features and in particular the Lounge with log fire.
Here's to my next return

Room Tip: try for Loch facing
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank hcmcc
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Your place at the bar is awaiting, as well as a full bottle of Macallan! great to see you again!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a night on our way to the West coast for a holiday. At first we were disappointed that the decor was needing some upgrading and some of the furntiure was tired, but once we'd settled in, we loved the quaintness of it all! The hotel was very cosy and homely. We stayed in the Loch Ness suite which was very spacious with a huge comfy bed! The staff were very friendly, the service was excellent and the food was delicious. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denise2111
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to review our quaint establishment. You're right - keeping the ancient 'feel' is a challenge, and we are constantly trying to get it right. We're all delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope the rest of your tour went well. The West Coast is stunning!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

What a great location! Stopped here recently for business, but will be coming back for pleasure. Overlooking the banks of Loch Ness, the hotel has a really nice homely feel about it. Great food, great people and nicely decorated rooms, this old hunting lodge has a welcoming feel about it and a range of outdoor activities to keep everybody busy, try the Loch Ness boat tour, think we saw Nessie!

Room Tip: Grab the Bridal room if possible, big room, big bathroom and great view over the loch.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Flipflop201213
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thanks for such a lovely review - hope to see you, yet again, soon!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

I stayed at The Inch hotel recently, the hotel is situated ideally for my recent business trip, The scenery from my front facing bedroom was gorgeous looking out onto Loch Ness (didnt see Nessie)

Inside the hotel was also lovely, very friendly and helpful staff.

The food was very good, only negative point was it was a limited menu. I can recommend the chicken.......

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Terry D
Alan C, Owner at Inch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

Marian says hello and best wishes. Thanks for making the effort to review our house and people - greatly appreciated. Hope to see you again. Best from us all. Alan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Augustus
#1 of 2 in Invergarry
Invergarry Hotel
Invergarry Hotel
#2 of 2 in Invergarry

Been to Inch Hotel? Share your experiences!