“Really tiny, but some beautiful sights”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Fort Augustus

Fort Augustus
Book In Advance
More Info
$26.21*
and up
Canoeing on Loch Ness Taster Trip from Fort Augustus
More attraction details
Owner description: This imposing old fort, which was incorporated into the Benedictine Abbey in 1876, is bisected by the Caledonian Canal, where to the north the canal enters the famous Loch Ness and into the village itself through a series of locks.
Leicester, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Really tiny, but some beautiful sights”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I didn't really visit on the best of days. It was a wet and blustery September day and quite miserable throughout. In dryer weather i'm sure Fort Augustus would be lovely to spend a day in but when wet, i couldn't handle more than two hours. Yes it has the famous Loch Ness and some stunning scenery all round, but apart from seeing the loch and taking a cruise if desired, there is not much more that can be done.
Worth a visit none the less, but don't expect to be entertained for hours on end

Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Avoid Rare Breed Farm - Round Worms Everywhere!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Visited the rare breed farm with my 3.5 yr old and 5 month baby. This farm is advertised as 'fun for all ages' and I'd agree there are an interesting selection of farm animals. However, upon my travels round the paths I noticed a number of round worms on the ground!! In their hundreds/thousands next to the sheep pens. I know we should all wash our hands after visiting such farms,(which is provided at this farm as a cold water wash station), but I cannot believe they obviously neglect to worm their livestock. With my toddler quite happy to kneel down in the grass to pet the animals I find it quite distressing to think that she could have easily ingested a worm or it's eggs. I grew up on a farm and make no mistake I can easily identify a round worm! I have had enough experience of them in dogs and horses. Needless to say, upon seeing the roundworms everywhere I disinfected my pram and all of our shoes on our return home. The farm is unmanned so I could not complain on site. Pretty disgusting really as described as a family petting farm and was recommended to us by the tourist office in Fort Augustus.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Louisa M
Dusseldorf, Germany
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Not much to see.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Beside the famous Loch Ness, this tiny village has not much to offer. a few little shops and restaurants. You can visit the full village in 30 minutes...

Visited November 2013
1 Thank dubmar
Florence, Italy
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“a nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

a nice place to visit, great the locks and view towards Lochness. Weekly Ceilidh, although unfortunately not the night we were there. Plenty of facilities.

Visited August 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasant place to visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

A lovely place to come and see Loch Ness, the locks on the Caledonian Canal and the stunning Scottish countryside.

Visited October 2013