“Avoid Rare Breed Farm - Round Worms Everywhere!”
Review of Fort Augustus

Full-Day Trip to Loch Ness and the Scottish Highlands
$63.45*
Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands Small-Group Day Trip from Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: This imposing old fort, which was incorporated into the Benedictine Abbey in 1876, is bisected by the Caledonian Canal, where to the north the canal enters the famous Loch Ness and into the village itself through a series of locks.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Visited the rare breed farm with my 3.5 yr old and 5 month baby. This farm is advertised as 'fun for all ages' and I'd agree there are an interesting selection of farm animals. However, upon my travels round the paths I noticed a number of round worms on the ground!! In their hundreds/thousands next to the sheep pens. I know we should all wash our hands after visiting such farms,(which is provided at this farm as a cold water wash station), but I cannot believe they obviously neglect to worm their livestock. With my toddler quite happy to kneel down in the grass to pet the animals I find it quite distressing to think that she could have easily ingested a worm or it's eggs. I grew up on a farm and make no mistake I can easily identify a round worm! I have had enough experience of them in dogs and horses. Needless to say, upon seeing the roundworms everywhere I disinfected my pram and all of our shoes on our return home. The farm is unmanned so I could not complain on site. Pretty disgusting really as described as a family petting farm and was recommended to us by the tourist office in Fort Augustus.

1  Thank Louisa M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,011)

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Beside the famous Loch Ness, this tiny village has not much to offer. a few little shops and restaurants. You can visit the full village in 30 minutes...

1  Thank dubmar
Reviewed November 6, 2013

a nice place to visit, great the locks and view towards Lochness. Weekly Ceilidh, although unfortunately not the night we were there. Plenty of facilities.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

A lovely place to come and see Loch Ness, the locks on the Caledonian Canal and the stunning Scottish countryside.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

A lovely little village overlooking the beautiful Loch Ness. A trip on the loch on one of the many excursions offered is a must!