“relaxing”
Review of Old Pier House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Augustus
Old Pier House
Ranked #11 of 27 Fort Augustus B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2011

have been here twice.First time 2008 in a cabin,for 5 days,very cosy big place,at Loch ness river,
there are cows and horses,amd quiet.In the cabin there are cooking and bathing facilities.
This time we were 5 adults,an"old couple",and 3 "boys"20-30 years.We had a db room with bath,and the boys a triple room with 3 beds and bath.The brekfast was ok,but we are vegetarians,so we got eggs and bread and cheese.The "boys" enjoyed the place,and the town Fort Augustus,and to sail on the river.Unfortunately we only had one night there,but we will come back

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ting2012

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Although it has been a while since we stayed here, the location of this farmstyle B & B has stayed with me. The B & B is down a long drive way leading to a finger of land that protrudes out into the southern end of Loch Ness. The views are magical with picnic tables that encourage you to kick back with some nibbles and a glass of wine, just to take it all in. There are horses busily cropping the grass and highland cows pastured nearby if you'd like a close up look. The accommodations are simple yet clean. If you are after 5 star luxury then this isn't the place for you - but if you want comfortable surrounds with a lovely hostess, then this place will fit the bill. Jenny is an amazing woman with incredible energy. Widely travelled she speaks a number of languages also. Breakfast in the morning was both filling and tasty. The accommodation is close to the centre of town yet its location lends itself to a feeling of privacy and seclusion - highly recommend!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rena13
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed here for one night while walking the Great Glen Way in May 2011. I had a double room with ensuite.

My hostess was Jenny MacKenzie and she saw me walking in down the drive and was at the door to welcome me in. Jenny was friendly, informative about the Old Pier House (which is historic and in a significant historical location right on the shores of Loch Ness) and concerned throughout that I felt welcome and comfortable.

My room was spacious and comfortable. The bed was good. It was warm with good heating.

There is a lovely dining/breakfast room with views over the Loch and a comfortable lounge with a fireplace where Jenny and I sat and chatted for a while in the evening. Yes, Jenny lit the log fire for me.

Breakfast was very good.

Jenny indicates the ability to speak several languages and I witnessed first hand her ability to swing fluently into Spanish when two travellers from Spain arrived.

If you are on foot it is important to note that the Old Pier House is just a little way out of the centre of the village - about 700m of level walking.

The weather was somewhat cold when I was there but this would be a lovely private spot to stay in summer right on the shores of Loch Ness.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Group of 10 stayed at Jenny's B&B also her home, while doing the Great Glen Walk ( half way stop between Inverness and Fort William, we done it backwards). The location was great and only 10 min walk into Fort Augustus. The weather was fabulous only rained at night twice and only for a very short period. We had the run of the whole lower floor and her beloved AGA to cook on which was all very much appreciated. The log fire was put on every night for us by Jenny or her grandson Ossian and Jenny made us cookies one night and lovely millionaire shortbread Mmmm. We also got the use of the BBQ 2 nights on the trot, and some dipped their poor blistered feet in the Loch by the pier which is at the bottom of Jenny's huge garden, never seen the monster. The 2 dogs, 3 horses (Jenny's lawn mowers) and 1 cat were entertainment on there own. Jenny was very knowledgeable and spritly for a 70+ put us to shame when reading news paper clipping about her 70th birthday she walked up the Himalayas. Jenny's Jenny a lovely warm welcoming lady who will tell you what's what with a no nonsense approach, but with a twinkle in her eye and wicked scene of humour but that's what made her so special and I would stay at hers again and also recommend her B&B and breakfast. 1 of The Glen Wombles (Orinoco alias Janette) ; - )

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We are a walking team from Kilmarnock who had a fantastic time at the Old Pier House. Jenny was so welcoming when we arrived on day 8 of a charity walk of The West Highland Way and The Great Glen walk. The weather had been atrocious and we were all soaked through so she invivted us all to dry off our boots and clothes around the huge Aga. She offered to drive us all to our meal at night to save us walking any more then opened up the lounges to us and told us to have a party and make the biggest noise we could with lots of music and fun. We all sat around the log fire and had a great sing song. Just a pity we were so tired and still had 2 days walk to do or the party could have lasted all night. The views at breakfast were amazing although she did say anyone who didn't eat the haggis would have to have a dip in the Loch.! Jenny had a couple of little house rules, no smoking in the house(which was fine as none of us smoked), no chewing gum and NO feeding her dogs which we were all okay with. We would recommend this to anyone as it was very good value for money and soooo welcoming

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank gordon18
Reviewed January 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed a couple of nights, and although overall the experience was ok, the behaviour of the owner Jenny was somewhat odd. Se could be charming and a great source of information, but then at other times was off hand and rude. As an example, after breakfast one morning we placed our cup and saucer on tiop of the bread and butter plate only to be told that people shouldn't do that. When asked why, she said she would then have to wash both sides of the saucer! The breakfast was rather sparse. In a way staying there was a bit like being back at boarding school. Jenny insists on cash payment and we did not get a receipt.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Parrp
Reviewed September 10, 2010

To preface this review I should point out the following: my partner and I both identify as being gay men and are, therefore, protected by the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2007; regulation 3 states that a person (“A”) discriminates against another (“B”) if, on grounds of the sexual orientation of B or any other person except A, A treats B less favourably than he treats or would treat others (in cases where there is no material difference in the relevant circumstances).

My partner and I booked a double room for a two night stay at this B&B between Monday 26th - Tuesday 27th July. I had read through most of the current reviews on this site at the time and was very much looking forward to staying at Old Pier House, especially as the owner, Ms. Jenny Mackenzie, came across as a welcoming and friendly host. I did not see the need to mention in my original booking that my partner is male; this is the 21st century after all.

On our arrival, Ms Mackenzie seemed visably surprised and shocked that we were two men having booked a double room. She apologised and asumed she had made a mistake with the booking. I subtly corrected her by pointing out that we had indeed booked a double room, which she agreed was indeed the case. We were left in the kitchen for about 10 minutes while she finished dealing with a couple (heterosexual) who had arrived shortly before us.

She came back and took us to a room; however, the room she took us to was not a double room we had booked but in fact had three single beds. When I questioned this, she agreed that we did book a double room however they “did not do double beds for men” and suggested this room was better for us. I pointed out that we had booked a double room and did not want to stay in this room, she again said that they “did not do double beds for men” and said that we were not a couple anyway so why would we want a double room. I politely informed her that we are a couple and that we wanted a double room as this is what we had booked. She again reiterated that they "did not do double beds for men” and walked out the room and shut the door.

Both my partner and I were truly shocked at Ms Mackenzie's behaviour; it made us feel deeply humiliated and uncomfortable. Neither my partner nor I have ever received treatment such as this and after talking to my partner, we decided to leave; in fact it felt like we did not really have an alternative. When we told her we were not happy that she had changed our booking and we were leaving, the only reply we recevied was “good!”

I feel my partner and I were discriminated against because of our sexual orientation. Regulation 4 of the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2007 protects against discrimination in provision of goods, facilities or services. Regulation 4 (2)(b) specifically mentions accommodation in a hotel, boarding house or other similar establishment as being an example of somewhere that is covered by the Regulations therefore I feel that the Old Pier House B&B has acted unlawfully by denying me access to a double room because of my partner and I’s sexual orientation.

We were not offered any explanation as to why Ms Mackenzie had changed our booking only that her personal preference was to not offer double rooms to two men. There was never once a suggestion that there had been a mistake with the booking and that all the double rooms were taken, it was evident that it was her own personal prejudice that prevented her from offering us a double room.

I subsequently emailed Stonewall and Stonewall Scotland, who informed me that the Old Pier House B&B had indeed acted unlawfully and advised me to complain to Visit Scotland which we did. They stated that as they are not a regulatory body for tourism operators and also, as the B&B in question was not a participant in any of the Quality Assurance schemes they run they cannot take the complaint further although they will be keeping our comments on file should this B&B make a future application. They recommended however that I should take my complaint to the Equality and Human Rights Commission, which is now where our complaint lies.

This was a horribly distressful start to our holiday and we both feel very strongly about this issue. I would never recommend anyone to stay at this B&B and I would strongly suggest that the owner(s) take up another occupation: if you do not want certain sections of society staying at your house, then do not open it up to the public. What a shame this website is forcing me to award it even one star.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple