“Tranquil location !!!!!!!!”

The Boathouse Lochside Restaurant
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy lunch, dinner or just a drink at The Boathouse Restaurant on the shores of Loch Ness. Open everyday all day 11am - 9pm. Outdoor seating.
ballater
“Tranquil location !!!!!!!!”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Had a superb meal looking up Loch Ness.We decided as it was such a tranquil dry and warm night to sit outside to enjoy or meal of traditional haddock and chips in a superb crispy batter and the chargrilled chicken with peppers,lovely food and very well presented.Only downside was wrong drinks order,which was quickly sorted and not the warmest of welcomes and the mindless moron who decided to take his noisy jet ski out from the mooring below the restaurant whilst we were in the middle of our meal.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Polmont, Scotland
“So good we went back”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Visited here on a short break to the Abbey, and then again when we cruised the Caledonian Canal, with Caley Cruisers.

The venue is excellent, right on the banks of Loch Ness, and on both occasions the food and the service was very good.

The menu was a strange mix of Scottish and Turkish, but all the dishes we had were of a very high quality, and the wine wasn't bad either.

Would certainly recommend to anyone in the area.

Visited June 2014
northampton
“Between average and very good...3.5!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

As we were staying at the Abbey, The boathouse was an obvious choice for a meal in the evening. Although i did have a hesitancy after reading mixed reviews. The decision was made, and probably on its stunning location more than the expectancy of excellent food and service.

We booked early in the day and requested the best window seat if possible. maybe the answer was lost in translation but we were told that the table was not available and they did not save specific tables in advance. (?).

So to our surprise we were shown to our chosen table when we arrived! The views of the Loch on a sunny evening were superb. Three of us chose the Nessie hotpot and one the steak. The food was very nice, if maybe a little expensive, but this i suppose is to be expected with such a prime location in a tourist hot spot.

I maybe old fashioned, but i still look at how staff are dressed as a measure of the management standards and how this approach may affect other aspects of the business. Personally i think it is a shame that such a nice place allows its staff to wear jeans and trainers, albeit with uniform tops.

The food was good, the service ok, the place just lacks the passion for interacting with its customers to make them feel valued. Maybe enough "one time visitors" mean they dont have to try and win repeat business. If we are this way again I think our take will be..been there, done that, lets try somewhere different.

If you are not on too tight a budget, I say..give it a go, but keep your expectations in check.

4 Thank NorthamptonPhil
“Disappointed with it all!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

What a shame, my boyfriend and I came out from Inverness to eat here as a little treat to ourselves. We are £52 worse off and none the better for it.
We were awkwardly greeted by waiting staff (who hardly spoke at all) and was served our drinks. Instead of a pint of lager with a dash of lime, I got 2 halves of lemon instead! Strange, but I laughed it off and drank it anyway, as it's no big deal really...
Oh this was a sign of things to come! We were told the soup was mushroom, so We both ordered the battered haggis with pepper sauce to start. It literally arrived within 5 minutes of our order being taken. It wasn't particularly hot, it wasn't particularly good and the pepper sauce was exactly the same taste as the powderd packet stuff! It was two halves of haggis in batter, nowhere near as nice from the local chippy.
Anyway, our plates were promptly taken away and it wasn't even a further 10 mins before our mains came. We both ordered a sirloin steak at £17 a piece. The steak was tasty and cooked how I like but there was so much fat on my boyfriend's steak that, when he cut it off, his steak was HALF the size!! We saw the return of the awful pepper sauce, 2 very small onion rings, a mound of chips and an actual plate of salad on the plate itself! The salad was boiled cabbage, carrots, courgette, parsnip with garden peas. Not my choice of salad with steak. No fried tomato, mushrooms or anything! £17 for that steak dish was £10 too far!
As I was eating, I saw a chalk board with the SPECIALS written on it! I couldn't believe it! It was on an A frame, pointing straight down the centre of the room. We couldn't see it from our seats. It annoyed me as they had a dish on there that I would of ordered instead of the steak. No waiter had told us about the specials board and nobody came and asked us how we were getting on with our meal. I was gutted. After we finished up, we asked for the bill. There was no conversation attempt made to us by any of the staff, it felt akward and we left feeling very dissatisfied. It was such a shame because the setting is stunning and we were lucky to have a window seat. You'd expect more from this place though, but I felt as if they just wanted to feed you and get you out so they can fill more tables and get more money. It wasn't relaxed, the food was OK at best, it was over price and we won't be coming back. We thought the high rating on Trip Advisor would of guaranteed this place to be a hit, but it was far from it.

3 Thank Chineapple-punk
“Best views ”
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Great location! Great views!
We were on a table in the centre of the room, but they layout isn't too cramped so we could happily look between the gaps between other tables and take in the views (although I'd still have preferred a window table)
My wife had the rump steak (although it seemed exactly like a rib eye...) cooked as requested. We did ask about the steak being a rib eye, the chef came out and explained he had thought the same when he saw them, but was now sure it was a rump (read into that what you will)!
They did bring us flaming sambuca's and seemed genuinely concerned that we might not have enjoyed our meal!
Food and service was good.