“Spectacular view and great lunch”

The Boathouse Lochside Restaurant
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Enjoy lunch, dinner or just a drink at The Boathouse Restaurant on the shores of Loch Ness. Open everyday all day 11am - 9pm. Outdoor seating.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We went to the boathouse late in the afternoon and had a panini and a cheeseburger. Both came with nice attractive side salads and were really tasty. Hadn't heard of a haggis panini before today. Price was good, service was great, food was great. The short walk to the restaurant was well worth it. Would go again.

1  Thank Lyn T

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Took the children for an evening meal whilst staying near Fort Augustus, largely based upon Tripadvisor reviews. Things I wished I had known before: there is no parking near the restaurant, so you are going to have to park and walk (about 300 yards) to get to the restaurant. The food itself is pretty decent (good sized portions) although a slightly limited menu. Whilst I thought it was all perfectly acceptable, I did think that possible the Tripadvisor reviews had been a little effusive for a fairly standard restaurant in a nice setting.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went here twice with our young children for lunch, and then coffee & cake another day.
In a lovely location off the beaten track a little, but worth the short walk.
Great views along Loch Ness.
Good menu, and our food was good quality in a pleasant more upmarked atmosphere

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were staying in the converted fort at Fort Augustus (lovely) and decided to eat at the Boathouse for our last night. It says on its website fine dining, but didn't live up to its promise. The food was bog standard pub food, lots of fried food that was frankly overpriced. I had the calamari which although tender was tasteless and my husband had haggis which we've had much better elsewhere. Our children were happy with the chicken kebab but it wasn't better than that from a little cafe that I occasionally go to in Victoria ( central London) for half the price. Puddings weren't home made - basically bought in pub food all round. This place could be so much better with locally sourced good ingredients and a bit more thought to the menu. Overpriced boring pub food ... And at £100 for 4 expensive, so go elsewhere. This was the poorest meal we've had in our stay in Scotland !

2  Thank Towniecountrygirl
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Meal was one of the worst I've had recently. Chicken over-cooked, potatoes like bricks and yet the veg was undercooked - I can't imagine it would be possible to make a worse job of cooking what was a simple meal. I read lots of positive reviews - either it is hit or miss or maybe the chef takes a Wednesday off. I certainly won't be back.

2  Thank Traveller626