“Great hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lovat Brasserie

The Lovat Brasserie
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: 40 Seater Brasserie with modern surroundings is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner, 7 days a week - offering local produce, presented with care, creativity & flair.
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights last summer! The food at the resturant in the hotel was fantastic and the bar staff we're very friendly. Hotel was clean and very modern. Really enjoyed our stay.

Shetland isles
“fab food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

There was nothing to dislike! Great food from a very acceptable menu choice, and the service was immaculate..

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Poor service, kitch location, good food, very expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Despite good food, it was coming with too many compromises:
1. location was very kitch(that can be subjective, I know)
2. Service was pretty poor: we asked for a special French wine with a given year indicated on the menu, they brought us same wine but different year...
3. 40 pounds each definitely too much in this context

Visited April 2014
CeeGee1, Owner at The Lovat Brasserie, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor, it is appreciated and your comments have been noted.

1. Yes, service could have been a little slower than normal considering it was Easter weekend and we were over capacity – I do recall coming to the table myself to make sure all guests were happy because I was aware that we were particularly busy and wanted guests to realise that we were conscious of this fact
2. I am not too sure what kitch means in this context – we are unable to change our location aside from asking the Wizard of Oz to move us

3. It is my understanding that there were 2 wines on your table and when another bottle of wine was requested for the table - the staff member re-ordered the one you didn’t want…he should have asked which of the two you wished to be replaced, a small error on our part

4. Most of your party had steaks at £26.00 so with this + drinks, a per head £40.00 charge was inevitable
Stirling, United Kingdom
“The Loin in Winter?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stopped in the afternoon for coffee as I seemed to remember it as the 'Lovat Arms'.
A warm welcome in a modern extension but we opted to take the coffee in the Reception Lounge with a fantastic Fire Place and a plaque stating they had THREE AA Rosettes for food. So impressed we decided to have an evening meal and on booking were told they were busy 'early on' but we were OK for 8 pm.
This was fine with us - despite a 40 mile round trip .
We arrived slightly early by design and again were warmly welcomed and had a G & T in the Bistro (the main Rest. does not open till Easter).
We were seated at our table at 8 pm - SO FAR SO GOOD.
From the 'Specials' I quite fancied the 'lightly boiled egg, asparagus and wild garlic mayo' BUT not fancy a raw egg but the waiter did not know much about it and in the end we both opted for the mussels..
First to arrive was home made bread with pesto - now the pesto was described as 'with olive oil and wild garlic from the Abbey Garden'. Added to the 'Arisaig Mussels' and 'Wester Ross' Salmon we wondered where the Olive Oil came from and what would be wrong with Scottish grown and pressed Rape Seed Oil? Snob appeal perhaps?
The mussels were fine if a bit small but still very enjoyable but by no way the best I have had.
By this time most of the other eaters had left and we found ourselves alone. BUT the attitude of the servers also changed with their frantic efforts to re set the tables for what we thought was a second sitting - but no one else came in.
We were left feeling VERY UNWANTED as they made in clear they wanted to go home.
Our Main Courses arrived - mine was the Hake Fillet on a pea risotto. The fish was ligtty cooked but the bacon round it was, it follows. also lightly cooked and not very inviting. The risotto was OK but I am not sure if it was what it said on the 'tin' or was it rice and peas?
NOW my wife opted for the PORK LOIN. BIG MISTAKE. It was tough and some of it did not appear to be 'loin' - another option was pork belly on the menu - was it mixed up? Were the kitchen staff in the same mode to get finished early as the waiters/waitresses?
We are of an age who think pork should be cooked and not served RED RAW - and we are not alone.
When we eat out and have food left over we usually take a wee bag home for the 'Yorkie' - we did not feel we could give this pork to our dog.
THREE Rosettes should indicate a high standard - NOT GET RID OF THEM QUICKLY THEY ARE NOT RESIDENTS

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
CeeGee1, Owner at The Lovat Brasserie, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor in SPRING, it is appreciated as always interesting to read a customer’s experience.

Rapeseed oil - You are completely correct – why would anyone in Scotland use anything other than rapeseed oil – it’s great to SUPPORT OUR OWN businesses. Despite in-house training, like anyone who is human, our staff can make mistakes – the oil we use in the hotel is Scottish rapeseed oil but for some bizarre reason the staff in question thought it was olive oil.

Relaying tables – I am sure it wasn’t the intention of the staff to make you feel unwanted –sometimes when ‘you’ are in the zone you don’t always realise how you are acting. I guess you must have found it strange though for our staff to WELCOME YOU in the afternoon, only to WELCOME YOU again for dinner but then to suddenly turn and make you unwelcome. All staff are rota’d on to work until a certain time so they certainly wouldn’t be pushing customers out the door so I can only apologise if you felt this way.

Main Courses – can I ask if you informed anyone that you were dissatisfied with the meal?

I am so pleased you noticed our 3 rosette plate which we are EXTREMELY PROUD of achieving in January 2014. These rosettes are for the HIGH STANDARDS in the Restaurant, Station Road & should not be confused with our Brasserie. Despite the kitchen servicing both dining areas, the experience in both is totally different. Whilst I am sure the Brasserie would gain rosettes, it is not possible to have 2 dining areas, both with rosettes that is serviced by 1 kitchen team. However, I am sure that IF YOU ARE EXPERT DINERS who enjoy such 3 rosettes meals you would have realised that the Brasserie isn’t of this ilk.
Amsterdam
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I was eating here every week as part of my job last year, the food was always excellent and Caroline (manageress)was most welcoming. She has transformed this old building into a more modern feel whilst retaining that old character. If I had to make a complaint, it would be that sometimes the staff were slow or forgot something.

• Visited July 2013