“Not your typical "Hampton Inn" Will not be back....”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed July 19, 2011

When I arrived at this Hampton Inn, I was surprised to see that this was not your typical Hampton Inn Hotel and was more like a motel with outside entry to all rooms. When I arrived at the front Desk, I was greeted by a disheveled manager who told me that my suite was not available due to a hot water tank break down and the room did not have hot water. Sensing my disappointment, he then said, "Well, if you want the suite, that's up to you, but there's no hot water" Sarcastic and unprofessional as far as I was concerned. Being that I am a woman who travels for business, safety is definitely a priority. I was located in the back of the hotel and noticed that there were no cameras located anywhere through out the corridors. This made me feel very unsafe with my surroundings. The phone was not working in my room, there was no movie rentals nor any exercise facilities. When I told the front desk that my phone was not working, the lady behind the desk just laughed...I also feel the room was very sub par. I noticed some small bugs which I was not sure if they were bed bugs or not. I pulled the mattress back and although I did not see any, I still felt uneasy about the room. I did pull the couch out away from the wall and noticed dead bugs, which were beetles and lots of dust and dirt. I was booked in for two nights, but cut my stay short and decided to go to the Comfort Inn and Suites located in Manchester. I always make a point to stay at the Hampton Inns when I travel, but I will definitely make sure that I delve a little deeper next time. I will certainly make sure that this is communicated when I receive my survey.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Having worked in hotel management for years, including Front Office Manager and Executive Housekeeper at 3, 4 and 5 star hotels, I have found the three most important things in a hotel stay are cleanliness, service and a good bed. To be honest, from the outside appearance (exterior entrances) and lobby, I was uncertain about the quality as it is an older, somewhat worn hotel. As area rooms were filling up and I did not have a reservation, I decided to give it a try but with a full inspection. First off, the lady at check-in was wonderful. Fast, courteous, friendly and professional. OK, that passed. Breakfast area did look outdated, so I was still skeptical. Onto the room. Fresh smell - check. Furnishings - slightly worn. Tissue test - wiped all areas of bath, including toilet base, bath tub and particularly floor behind toilet. Spotless. Carpet edges, seating, sheets - clean. Coffee pot, bottom of iron - all good. On a 100 point system, received 100. Again, furn. had some nicks, bathroom could use some work, but CLEAN! Lastly - the beds were very comfortable, mattresses felt new. Good pillows. LASTLY, I want to mention the breakfast lady...she was FANTASTIC! Friendly cheerful, went out of her way on everything. My granddaughters LOVED her :) Housekeepers also very friendly. Have to give it five stars in spite of appearances only because they got it RIGHT! =) (Stayed in seven 3-4 star hotels over 12 days, all the others were brand new, looked great...but cleanliness was horrid and service from poor to just acceptable.)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I've stayed here numerous times over the years on the way to Florida and back. It's what I call a "functional" Hampton Inn. It's only adequate. The price is right, it's well located just off the highway, but if you're expecting anything extra, forget about it. I don't understand the comments about exterior doors, no hallways, as many, many Hamptons such as this one have that feature. The breakfast is adequate, the staff is adequate. Actually, I was able to get upgraded to a large king room this outing so I was satisfied. The heater is a minus as the fan won't turn off and it just runs all night. All and all, it meets average needs.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2010

On our way to Florida, we always stay at either Hamptons or Holiday Inn express. This particular Hampton had to be on the top 5 of worst hotels in their chain. Dirty linen, bad smell in the room, air conditioning worked when it felt like it, and noone likes to step on bugs in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom. So much for the 100% satisfaction guarantee. I did respond to Hamptons on line survey and did express my displeasure as well. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Stopped in to see if they had a room. Associate at the front desk said they did. She said if the room needed anything to call her and she would take care of it. Room was clean and the TV had a lot of channels to watch. The cracker barrel next door was great. Very quiet hotel for being next to I24. Saw a bunch of crickets outside, They did not make any noise. Breakfast was average and the morning staff was great!. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I sit her at 4:45 in the morning typing, been up since 2am - can't sleep crickets chirping, talked to front desk, night clerk, said "oh honey all the rooms have crickets, the bug man is trying to get rid of them" WOW....I'm a Hilton Honors Member and only stay at Hilton Family Hotels on business and leisure....This is not a typical Hampton. Stay Away...the other ratings are consistent - pool and hot tub were dirty...bathroom not clean, soap wrapper in my ice bucket....not my normal experience with Hampton.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on a visit to Lynchburg, TN. THIS IS NOT YOUR TYPICAL HAMPTON!! This MOTEL does feature exterior corridors. The latch lock on our door was a little loose. It also has 1970's model air conditioners (which kept me awake all night, but was too hot to turn off). The hotel is in a quiet part of town, it is easily accessible to the main highway to get to Tullahoma and Lyncburg. There is not a lot of dining to choose from; it is adjacent to a Cracker Barrell (which is the wise choice…my husband and I tried the Oak Restaurant across the street…thats another story. As far as cleanliness, our room was clean. It does have the new Hampton bed, although after sleeping on that one, one night and a different Hampton the next, I believe this motel only has the mattress, not the same boxed springs as the rest. This bed to me was very uncomfortable, compared to most that I have slept on.

This motel seems to be in need of renovation and a little updating. I probably wouldn't stay here again. As the only reason we did in the first place is the Hampton in Tullahoma is under renovation and was $40 higher in price.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Ambassador Inn & Luxury Suites
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manchester
Red Roof Inn & Suites, Manchester, TN
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#2 of 17 in Manchester
The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins
Hampton Inn & Suites Manchester

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!