“Dont mention the War”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Drumnadrochit
Lancashire
“Dont mention the War”
Reviewed August 16, 2006

All that was missing from this awful establishment was Basil Fawlty himself.. I thought Fawlty Towers was a fiction hotel untill we stayed at "The Loch Ness Lodge Hotel" (I think they may be chargeable under the trades descrption act) . My wife, my 7 year old son, my 6 year old niece and myself stayed here for one night on the 9th August.
Let me start with the room. I have checked my Thesaurus and I am still at a loss of how to describe how awful the room was. The television was from at least the 1970's the decor from several decades earlier and the view as from a tower block in the inner city. The staff also appeared to go out of their way to be unhelpful. (with the exception of one polish lady who I believe leaves at the end of the month) . For example, the receptionist (who only seems to be there 1 or 2 hours a day) didnt even know the owner or managers name, and the staff at breakfast were worse. They had a hot buffet trolley for breakfast, and as no-one was there I picked up a plate only to be shouted at...yes shouted at.."Get to the other side of the trolley" from an older lady who apparantly was there to serve. Also it was raining and we went to the bar for a drink we were told it was closed and we would have to wait outside in the rain, and those of you with young children can imagine how awful that can be.
Now I have stayed at hotels around the world and I have to say this is without the question the worst I have ever encountered and at a rate of £120.00 per night....yes you read correctly £120.00 per night ...the value is an utter disgrace.
I cannot stress enough DO NOT EVER stay at this hotel as you will find your pockets a lot lighter and your blood pressure a lot higher.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — DO NOT STAY HERE
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
10 Thank Vernoso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
scotland
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Oh how I wished I had looked at Trip Advisor before booking! Unfortunately, I was on business at fairly short notice and had little choice but to stay in this hotel as everywhere else was booked up.

The room was dirty, damp, noisy and the decor would give you nightmares (including the 1970's 'en-suite' and shower that scalded you - oh and the bin that hadn't been emptied). Luckily, we didn't have dinner here but when we came back for a nightcap, discovered that the beer was £3.50 a bottle! Come on, this isn't a five star in Edinburgh city centre...

After retiring to the dire bedroon, there was a set of doors that kept banging until at least 1:00am and you couldn't even get a reception on the crummy old TV in the room. The breakfast was done on the cheap and you were lucky to get a piece of fatty bacon and a gristly sausage.

Being a Scot, this hotel is an absolute disgrace to my nation!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Tips/Secrets — Basically, just don't go there!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank anteallach

Travelers are raving about these Drumnadrochit hotels

Las Vegas
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My wife and I joke about the decor in this place. Plaid on Plaid (not even matching) is a great conversation peace.

Our stay here was comfortable and the place was clean, which is the highest priority, but it is clear that the owners are squeezing every penny out of this place pretending to be a first class place with second-rate facilities.

Staff was nice and really worked hard at making it work, but it takes a lot more than friendly staff to make a great stay.

First, this place was way too expensive and the location is only so-so. Breakfast was so-so and dinner was so-so and the choices were limited.

The rooms were tacky, but large. We had a good view out the front window. As they had no internet access, we were forced to call home via their phone. Ouch. Talk about a crazy premium. It cost us nearly $80 for a fifteen minute call. That is unreasonable under any circumstance in our day and age of high tech and cheap talk.

The bathroom facilites were large as well (another plus).

I cannot recommend this place unless they put some serious money back into facilities and bring it up to date -- then charge a reasonable price. If the price were lower, I would be okay with the tacky decor, but we paid waaaay toooo much for this level of quality.

Someone over here needs to wake up and take a serious look at what they are and how they need to start from the foundation up and restructure. Until then, they don't deserve our business.

My recommendation - the Holiday Inn Express in Inverness. Much better pricing and close enough to get to the tourist sites.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank nvlawyer
Belfast
Reviewed May 17, 2006

We spent a week at Loch Ness a couple of weeks ago for our Honeymoon, and had an absolutey fantastic time!!!! but....

We decided to try the Loch Ness Lodge Hotel one night for dinner, it looks very nice from the outside, and it was AWFUL!! It was a 3 course set menu, at £16.00 per person. My husband for his main course ordered the steak (which was an extra £6.50!!) so for £22.50 he was expecting something special, it arrived extremely well done after my husband asked for medium rare, a few oven chips, 1 lettuce leaf, 1/2 tomato, and a mushroom. I ordered pasta cabonara for my main, and it was just as bad. The pasta was actually burnt, 1 tiny piece of mushroom, 1 tiny piece of ham, loads of frozen peas, and a sauce that tasted like something out of a jar!

Aside from the food the decor of the restaurant looked quite quaint, with tartan carpets and wooden panels, but throughtout our meal, a door somewhere upstairs kept slamming shut, making a loud bang and causing the lights and pictures to rattle. The girl on reception came over to take our coats when we sat down, and when after a bit I realised my purse was in my pocket I went to fetch it, I found our coats not in a cloakroom, but in the other lounge that wasnt staffed, on a coat stand right beside the door, anybody could have taken them or our pocket contents!!

There seemed to be only 3 girls trying to do everything, reception, serving pints, serving food etc, there was no one in a position of authority to complain to.

The following night eating out in another establishment, our waitress told us that she'd heard loads of bad stories about Loch Ness Lodge Hotel.

Loch Ness and Drumnadochit is a fantastic place to go, just not Loch Ness Lodge Hotel!!

• Stayed April 2006
10 Thank Oula
Darlington
Reviewed November 6, 2005

Do not under any circumstances stay at this hotel. EVERYTHING was simply awful. Faulty Towers should have been filmed here, it really was that bad!!!

Dated, cold and unpleasant staff including the hotel manager.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed September 2005
10 Thank JulsieMOss
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 12, 2005

We had a comfortable stay at the Lock Ness Lodge, although the room seemed somewhat tired. We were able to check in early but, as the room was cold (an electric heater was supplied) we decided to do some sight-seeing and give it chance to warm up. The bed was clean and comfortable but the tea pot had mould in the bottom of it and the shower curtain was stained which took the edge of an acceptable bathroom. Beware of the coach parties as the coaches seem to wait, with engines running outside the guest rooms. This was not condusive to an afternoon dooze! One major peculiarity is the lighting for the corridor on the ground floor, this seemed to be controlled with a timer switch, where you enter the corridor and also a sensor which worked when the corridor door was opened. The lights were not on long enough to get to your door and put the key in! Unfortunately, when comming out of our room the lights were not on, leaving my husband to walk to the end of the corridor to push the time-switch so I could lock the door. This said corridor could also be cold at times. On the plus side is the general public rooms which are well furnished and what looked like new tartan carpets throughout giving a definite feel of a country lodge. The best thing has to be the evening meal & wine, the only let-down being the cheese board - with only one choice of cheese!

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dartford, UK
Reviewed January 3, 2005

We never even made it to the Loch Ness Lodge! Having booked our January weekend break in August, we were concerned when, by December, we had not received any confirmation of our booking. We contacted the hotel and were told by a dis-interested waitress (reception was closed!) that the hotel was closed on the dates that we had booked. We contacted them again the following day and were still unable to get through to either reception or the Hotel Manager. Only on the third day did I get to speak to the Manager, who explained that he had tried to contact us but had the wrong address (telelphone???) to inform us that the hotel needed to close for plumbing work.

The hotel did at least arrange alternative accomodation and agreed to pay the extra cost, but this did little to redeem them.

16 Thank Ginge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drumnadrochit
The Lovat, Loch Ness
Glenmoriston Arms Hotel
Glenmoriston Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Invermoriston
Glenurquhart House Hotel

Been to Loch Ness Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!