“Highland Adventure” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Loch Ness Lodge Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Loch Ness Lodge Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Drumnadrochit
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Highland Adventure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Step back to the Victorian age with reams of Tartan, the historic art collection and lots of wee nooks and crannies. The staff were just great and the whole place had a relaxed feel, nothing modern and perhaps slightly dated but it has a wee glint in its eye which is just lovely.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LochNessLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Loch Ness Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I like the bit about the Hotel having 'a twinkle in it's eye' I will pass on your review to all staff who work hard to make our guests' stay a real home from home. Nice to know we are getting it right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was the perfect location for us as we wanted somewhere close to the Loch Ness Exhibition and we had a cruise booked picking up from the shop next door.

Yes the room was dated but it was clean and decent sized all we needed for the night. Shower was good and we had plenty of hot water. The only real problem was the bed was really quite hard and not the most comfortable so it wasn't the best nights sleep.

We really liked the bar/restaurant and had a really lovely meal. All the food was really enjoyable and it had a nice atmosphere. The staff were really nice and friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed spending time there.

Would definitely return if in the area again.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and thank you for staying here with us. Sorry that you found the bed a bit hard, but glad to hear that everything else met with your approval. I will pass your review on to the Bar/Restaurant Staff, it's always good to hear from our guests that they are doing their job well. Thank you again.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed one night here as a part of a pre-booked tour. The outside of the hotel is quaint and the lounge is very comfortable, which is good, because it's the only place you can access the free wifi. We spent several hours sitting and visiting there because the rooms are dated and, for lack of a better word, tired. Overall, the hotel seems pretty dated. The beds were rock hard and uncomfortable, the rooms were musty and dim, and the drapes let in a lot of light in the morning.

There were about 54 of us in the tour, and all stopped at the bar at the same time. While the bar tenders were nice, they were totally swamped and actually ran out of glasses. I drank my scotch out of a wine glass.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a quaint, boutique hotel, this place is for you. Otherwise, move on to a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your Review. I'm sorry you didn't have a comfortable night with us but happy to hear that you found the lounge accommodating. The issue with the Wifi I'm afraid is due to the age of the building and it's construction. Our router is at reception but because the walls are two feet thick and built of solid stone the signal can't pass through, you will have noticed that this also affected your mobile signal. Thank you also for bringing the light curtains to our attention, I personally will check this out. I hope you enjoyed your holiday and especially the Scottish Highlands.
Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Loch Ness Lodge Hotel failed to meet our expectations in every way. It was horrible. We had a two night prepaid, nonrefundable package deal through a travel agency. It was so bad that we just forfeited the money for the second night and went to Inverness.

We should have taken a taxi right away, but instead we tried to find other accommodations in Drumnadrocit for the first night. Being unsuccessful, we decided to try the Loch Ness Lodge.

We were walking the Great Glen Way and had to stage for the final 18 miles out of Inverness after that.

We looked at multiple rooms, the beds were horrid, some were even roll-away, with thin worn out mattresses on all that we saw. The best room we found had black mood growing on the walls, was damp as if we were on a boat and very, very loud. Several rooms left their TVs on all night wand we got no sleep.

Had to wait 30 minutes for a couple scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast. Then the eggs were not edible.

I can think of nothing good to say about this place. The public spaces were overheated and full of coal smoke from the fireplaces, there was only hot water in our shower, so we were forced to take baths, the rooms were moldy and not clean.

Bad, bad, bad.

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else, or perhaps sleep under the bridge.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MuddyMike
LochNessLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Loch Ness Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review The Loch Ness Lodge Hotel. I'm sorry that you found your stay so unpleasant. I personally check the bedrooms regularly but as yet have not found any signs of damp, however I'm sure if this had been flagged up at reception we would have moved you to another room more to your liking. I apologise for your poor experience at breakfast. Our breakfast room does provide a full continental buffet which you can enjoy while waiting for your cooked breakfast, I'm just sorry the cooked breakfast didn't live up to your expectations. Again, had this been flagged to reception at the time steps could have been taken. I trust that your Great Glen Footpath experience was a positive one as the scenery along the way is just breathtaking.

Travelers are raving about these Drumnadrochit hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I had an overnight stopover here in October 2013, and I am legitimately in two minds about what direction to take with this review. Do I let my big 'no no' experience outweigh the goods of this hotel? Or am I able to forgive it this once and rate the hotel on its overall merits..

On the one hand, the positive side of things, the hotel is unique. Decorated nearly completely in tartan, I was surprised to find that just about the only things not tartan covered were the bedspreads and shower curtain. It's cheesy, but it's fun. I enjoyed the theme throughout the hotel. The bar and lounge area were fantastic, warm and inviting with ample seating for our group on very very very comfortable chairs and couches. I had a solid night of sleep, no disturbances from adjacent rooms or outside influences. Free wifi, always a plus.

HOWEVER..

The locks to the hotel room doors were a joke. Fair enough this is a building trying to keep its heritage but to have to carry around a cumbersome key that still takes a solid minute or two of jiggling to open the room, not good. Totally unnecessary really. At least I knew nothing was going to be stolen easily. The dinner/breakfast, not terrible, but far from great. The hotels own brand of beers in the bar were dreadful.

And the showers. My biggest gripe. I tried to shower before retiring to bed for the evening, and the water was either as cold as the Loch Ness or with the tiniest variation in the taps position was as scolding as pouring a freshly brewed jug of coffee over myself. I gave up on it and decided I'd try to shower in the morning. The water choices the following morning had been halved; only Loch Ness coldness was on offer. The hotel had run out of hot water. When inquired about at the front desk after learning many of my fellow travel buddies had the same dilemma, the lady on reception just shrugged it off and said something along the lines of "that's just how things are in an old building". Not good enough whatsoever. She made it sound that our lack of hot water wasn't an isolated issue and something that is a common occurrence. If your hotel isn't equipped to provide enough hot water to every room for a morning shower whether it's at capacity or not (and we weren't staying when the hotel was at capacity I'd like to point out), it has issues. I have never ever come across a hotel running out of hot water, not even in developing third world countries where water is scarce.

And ultimately, unfortunately this massive and completely unforgivable negative is enough to outweigh the few positives this hotel provides. The Loch Ness Lodge has a unique Scottish charm, it's cozy and the couches are comfy. But it also doesn't have much in the way of hot water. And when you're waking up and about to head out for a full day in a cold Scottish autumn, this simply isn't good enough, not in this day and age. It is due to this that the Loch Ness Lodge has the dishonour of receiving my first ever one star review on TripAdvisor. If it wasn't for the shower issue, this hotel would have likely received a 3 star rating from me. Other minor grievances as mentioned are that the food is mediocre and the 'home brand' of beer only serves to get you drunk rather than be enjoyed.

It is absolutely like no other hotel I've ever stayed at, in both a good and bad perspective, mostly bad.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BradFraser
Thank you for your well written review, it actually made me chuckle! It sounds like on the whole you enjoyed your stay but you weren't keen on old fashioned keys or the lack of hot water. Firstly, yes the keys are old fashioned but as you say they keep the rooms safe. The hot water, I can only apologise. As a Three star hotel we don't provide hot water throughout the day, the water is heated on a timer which should allow for showers or baths up until 11am and from 5pm in the evening. I'm sorry that the receptionist didn't take you seriously as it is possible to override the timer and boost the heating. Happy to hear you enjoyed the bar area and had a good nights sleep. Thank you for your review.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed in the family room while walking The a Great Glen Way, lovely warm welcome despite arriving soaked. More than adequate room and great hospitality. Breakfast cooked to order and just what we needed.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for reviewing The Loch Ness Lodge Hotel. I'm glad we provided some warmth and cheer when you arrived in soaked and gave a good breakfast to get you out on your walk. I hope you had some good weather walking the Great Glen Way and got to enjoy the spectacular scenery along the way. Thank you again.
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Pulled up in the carpark - looked great. Checked in and headed to the room - impressive heritage building decorated tastefully. Went for a drink in the Bar/Lounge - very cosy and nice. That's where it ended.
A busload of under 35's on tour managed to set off the fire alarm by running hot showers with the bathroom door open - in the words of the fire warden "it happens every week when we get a busload in". Strange that busloads aren't briefed upon check-in and warned of the consequences where every occupant is forced into the carpark in line with fire evacuation procedures! Funny that when you keep doing the same things you keep getting the same results.
On return to the premises after the weekly fire drill sat down for a few drinks and a quiet romantic dinner with my wife (while the busload ate buffet in another part of the hotel). All was shattered when the busload came into the Bar/Lounge to take it over with a quiz session where it was impossible to hold a conversation over the table - exit the romantic dinner. If we had of known that we were going to be subjected to this we would have eaten and given our patronage to a competitor.
Have to agree with other reviewers - our room window was opened when we arrived - not far from the chimneys and room reeked of smoke.
The establishment has so much potential - it is very nice apart from what you have to put up with as a paying guest - time they realised that busloads don't come back and travellers who are able to enjoy their hospitality and environment may. We travelled from Australia to put up with a busload of under 35's - coming from Queensland in Australia we couild have stayed home and spent a night in town to experience what we went through - we came to enjoy what Loch Ness has to offer not what we can get at home.
When we return we will be looking elsewhere to avoid the dissapointment we have endured on this visit to the Loch Ness Lodge - as is the view of other dissatisfied guests that will not return.
Get "fair dinkum" or stick with your busloads as we and other guests feel poorly done by!

Room Tip: Make sure you don't share with a busload that take the place over - avoid mid-week. Avoid rooms...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike R
LochNessLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Loch Ness Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here. It has taken me some time to reply as I wanted to make sure that I could update on the steps we have now put in place to make sure that private guests are not inconvenienced by tour groups. Tour groups are a vital part of our seasonal business and therefore the requirements of both private and tour guests are of equal importance. You are all paying guests and all on a hard earned holiday.
We are informing tours about the sensitivity of our alarm system when they check in to avoid setting the fire alarm off, also we are no longer allowing quizzes to be run in the Pibroch Bar/Restaurant until dinner service has finished.
I apologise on behalf of the Loch Ness Lodge Hotel but I do hope that it didn't spoil your enjoyment of The Scottish Highlands.
It was good to read in your review that you liked the Building and the Decor, it's a bit like a giant shortbread tin and a lovely place to work.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drumnadrochit
The Lovat, Loch Ness
Inch Hotel
Inch Hotel
#2 of 2 in Fort Augustus
Loch Ness Country House Hotel at Dunain Park

Been to Loch Ness Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!