“Very interesting”

and up
Loch Ness Sightseeing Cruise Including Urquhart Castle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover 1,000 years of drama, experience a glimpse of medieval life and enjoy stunning views over Loch Ness from the ruins of the greatest castle in the Highlands. Climb the Grant Tower that watches over the iconic loch, peer into a miserable prison cell, said to have held the legendary Gaelic bard Domhnall Donn, and imagine the splendid banquets staged in the great hall. A more comfortable view of the iconic ruins, against a backdrop of Loch Ness and the hills of the Great Glen, can be enjoyed from the café. Urquhart’s stories are also told through a remarkable collection of artefacts left by its residents, historic replicas, including a full-sized, working trebuchet siege engine, and a short film. The castle has a distinctly Highland heritage and the site has witnessed some of the most dramatic chapters in our nation’s history. This is where St Columba is said to have worked miracles in the 6th century, where acts of chivalry and defiance provided inspiration during the Wars of Independence and where the MacDonald Lords of the Isles struggled with the Crown for power.
Reviewed October 16, 2012

it was freezing and the foreign tourists climbing all over the castle was rude, however we enjoyed it and long may castles like this stand.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,999)
All reviews
in 749 reviews
"tower"
in 177 reviews

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

The castle - or what's left of it - is very beautiful! I thought it would be pointless but it was really good. The best way to see it is getting the boat tour - jacobite - which gives you a view of the castle from the loch and let's you go into the castle too.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Amazed at the review by the woman with the baby demanding to use facilities, I have to ask, why drive 3 hours from Aberdeen with a small baby in the pouring rain in the first place and expect to have everyone bend over backwards for you? Very odd. You could have stopped en route and fed your baby surely?

I am no fan of Historic Scotland, but actually, in this case, they have improved what was becoming a run down, tatty, muddy, and decrepit corner of the loch. The castle is now safe and you can get all the way to the top, if of course you're happy with the original and worn spiral staircases!!

Kids have a wonderful time. My nephew was in seventh heaven playing out a mishmash of Braveheart and King Arthur I think! Fantastic views from both the castle and the surrounding land. Someone stated that there was no longer a photo opportunity from outside the attraction. That's just not true. There are plenty of places to get great views down the glen, you just have to be on the look out for them, and to be honest, the car park view isn't THAT bad, it's just not the best.

Do watch the film in the centre before GOING to the castle, and just enjoy walking about, and imagining it in its heyday!

Well worth a visit, but dress appropriately, as the weather can be very changeable down the glen, and the wind can be distinctly cold.

2  Thank Scots L
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I visted the castle. We do not believe that the information centre spoils the castle in any way as it has been purposely built away from the historical ruins. The short film at the beginning was very informative and interesting just unfortunately you can't buy a copy. As for the castle ruins they were intriguing and would highly recommend

See more reviews
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I drove for over 3 hours to get to this place with my 7 month old baby, hubby had meetings in Aberdeen all week so thought I would head off & see the sights. Baby was screaming for a feed & a nappy which I couldn't do in the car park as it was raining. Ran from the car to the visitor centre with just the nappy bag only to be informed I had to purchase a ticket to use the facilities.....baby / I were desperate. I was so disgusted by this lack of basic common sense that I changed baby in the rain / car. Out of principle I refused to buy & ticket. Absolute joke.

2  Thank Seashimmer
ByHistoricScotland, Quality Services Manager at Urquhart Castle, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are sorry that you were disappointed that you couldn't use the facilities without paying admission. We are bound by planning permission conditions meaning we can't allow access to any of our facilities without the admission fee being paid. We understand this can be frustrating for visitors however we hope you can appreciate that we are bound by these conditions.

We hope that if you are back this way you will take the opportunity to visit and we'd hope that you would have a similar experience to the majority of other TripAdvisor reviewers.

Quality Services Team, Historic Scotland