Smoo Cave Hotel
All reviewssteak piesmoo cavethe pubhaggisscallopslively bargreat craicgreat qualityevening mealbooked this hoteltwo singlesgreat steakdidn't disappointlarge portionsmodern roomslast minute bookingcooked fresh
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have visited the Smoo Cave Hotel for a meal several times in the last two years and yet again I was not disappointed.
I cannot understand recent poor reviews because I have always been afforded excellent service and excellent food.
The staff in the bar were attentive but not overly so. The food arrived in a reasonable time, was hot and well presented, and was reasonably priced.
I will be back next month on my next trip north.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tom_Tank_Engine
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

I'd asked Scott if we needed to book a table for dinner in their restaurant.  I was told that they wouldn't be busy and there would be no problem. Scott seemed very helpful, I was optimistic. I later turned up at the bar to ask where the dining room was and was ignored by the bartender who continued to serve the guys who had just arrived.

Well.  Our visit to the restaurant was interesting.  When we arrived, we weren't asked if we'd like any drinks, just what we were ordering from the menu.  Bizarre!  We probably waited about 1 hour for each course - main and dessert.  I had drunk my wine by the time I got my main meal - bits of tendered chicken in a "Thai" gravy sauce, microwaved rice and nan bread slapped in my curry.  It was rubbish food.

The stay was pleasantly comfortable.  We experienced the same lack of good service at breakfast however.  Although they knew that we'd be having breakfast at 9:30, we must have waited a good 15 minutes before we were asked if we'd like any tea/coffee and a cooked breakfast.

No apology for our wait, either from Scott or the waitresses.  I am greatly disappointed with this place.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Hannah Y
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Drove up to the hotel after being at the caves, to be honest there isn’t much choice in Durness.
The place looked closed- went into the bar, we were the only people in. Initially ignored by bar staff however after about ten minutes our drinks order was taken, then the food. There were four adults and one child in our party.
The drinks, all soft, were warm and there was no ice available. The food took a while to arrive and the fish and chips that all the adults ordered had to be seen to be believed-the haddock was four inches long with some frozen chips and a little salad (£10.95). The child’s chicken burger on a dry roll looked inedible- a frozen burger thrown in the deep fat fryer.
The bar had no atmosphere, I felt sorry for the French family that arrived whilst we were there and hope they don’t think that this quality of establishment represents what’s available to tourists to Scotland.
The owners should be ashamed to serve up such poor food.
Top tip take a packed lunch.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank George N
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed recently with biking friends. The Inn bedrooms were well equipped, very clean with extremely comfortable beds.
We had an evening meal and a hearty Scottish cooked breakfast and can I say that the food was very good indeed.
All of the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating.
It would have been nice if there had been entertainment; however we watched the tennis on the very large screen TV in the bar lounge.
I would stay there again and recommend it without hesitation.
If you walk to the back of the hotel you directly down to the Atlantic Ocean.
We were travelling from Inverness and visited John O'Groats en route and to say the journey was spectacular is an understatement.
Well done Smoo Cave Hotel and thank you for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: The ground floor front bedroom boasts a double and single bed and is very spacious and well presented, with a very large en-suit.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We had been to Smoo Cave and fancied lunch, we saw the sign for the Smoo Cave Hotel where I have never been served such a small fish - I would have been embarrassed to bring it out of the kitchen - I have been served better fish in a chippy - when their fish are small they put in two. This one should have been thrown back into the sea!
I was embarrassed for all the tourists who come from overseas to enjoy Scottish hospitality - here they were truly being ripped off.
The bar was Spartan, bare, dark and when a party of French people came in and were ignored for ages. Apparently they get lots of tourists who may not be staing in the area, so won't return. We were staying locally, but we didn't go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple