Dornoch Castle Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsfour poster bedtower roomlog firewhiskey barbar areavenisonno liftmusselslovely hotelmalt whiskyreal alesuperior roomresidents loungelocal producedining roomone night staycooked to perfection
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 10, 2009

We have just had a wonderful Hogmanay break at the Dornoch Castle Hotel - and what a way to start the New Year!!
We arrived on Dec 30th and stayed until Jan 2nd, and from the moment we set foot in the castle until the sad moment we had to leave, we were thoroughly spoiled!!
The hotel is magnificent . The old building has been superbly renovated, and all the rooms and public areas including the restaurant and bar areas are of a very high standard and tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. The staff are friendly and polite, helpful and hard working, and it is extremely well run and managed by the owners Ros and Col and their sons Simon and Phil.
The food in the restaurant was amazing and throughout our break we were given super choices with an extensive wine list to select from.
We loved walking out from the hotel straight into the little town of Dornoch and exploring the shops and streets, especially the Jail shop -an experience not to be missed.
Opposite the hotel is the old cathedral and only 5 minutes walk away is the golf course and the wide sandy beach which was a wonderful place to walk off the calories!!!!
We also had lovely short drives out , and explored the quiet areas around, including the Harrods of the North at the Falls of Shin, the Black Isle and the towns of Inverness, Ullapool and Dingwall.
The Castle Hotel has got us hooked, and we have booked again for February this year - we can't wait to return, and we have already reserved a room for next New Year.
We just loved everything about the hotel and location.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2008

As a group of 4 people celebrating a 50th birthday, we would like to express how we thoroughly enjoyed this winter break. The staff were extremely helpful, accommodating and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The restaurant menu was superb and we felt the whole experience was wonderful We would love to return some time in the future and to reacquaint ourselves to this endearing, charming and nostalgic place. Thank you very much to all including Charlie the cat.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2008

Dornoch is a small community with little choice of good hotels. This hotel would attract more customers if improvements were made. Staff come from the local community and seem to lack any international experience. A good food menu but lacking in what i would call local dishes which would be interesting to foreign visitors. All in all a bit overated.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2008

I just thought I’d take a few minutes to write a short review saying thank them for the wonderful service received by the Dornoch Castle Hotel staff on our short stay with them last week. The staff were very courteous at all times; extremely helpful and above all very easy to get along with! My job takes me all over the country and I can honestly say I’ve never felt so comfortable in a hotel.

The hotel itself was magnificent. We found our room (Room 1 – Nairn) to be exceptionally well appointed. The bar area is also most welcoming; I really don’t know why they aren’t a 4 star hotel! I informed the hotel in advance that this was a special trip for my partners birthday and that I was planning on proposing to her... they then made sure that I was given one of the nicest rooms in the hotel, set in the castle part - which made the ambience all the more special. I would love to have had the Old Courtroom, but unfortunately it was booked out at the time.

I will most certainly recommend the establishment to friends & family and I'm sure we will be back there soon enough to visit Charlie the cat and everyone else at the hotel... maybe we'll even get married there!

Thanks once again to Dornoch Castle Hotel for an A1 short break!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keithcrane83
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Although it is called a castle, there is not much 'castle.' Most of the rooms and breakfast area are located in a more modern extension in the back. Nice view of gardens in the back of the hotel.

The shower pressure was poor.

Had Wifi, though limited to front of hotel.

Very good breakfast.

Location was ideal in this charming town, and nice walk to the beach (~10-15 min). We happened to be visiting on a Friday when they had a farmer's market.

• Stayed: August 2008