Amalfi Bed & Breakfast
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsmarelle and edwardb broyal dornochgolf coursewarm welcomehaggisgreat location for golfhomemade breadperfect hostsconvenient locationsurrounding townscomfortable roomeast coastlovely hometown squareplace to stayfour nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 15, 2012

After 25 years of talk, my brother and I finally made the trip to Royal Dornoch and their two fabled golf courses. The golf exceeded our expectations and we are dying to get back soon to this northernmost "Royal" golf outpost.

But, even more pleasant was our stay at the Amalfi B&B in Dornoch. The small guesthouse only has three rooms but they are immaculate and nicely appointed. Breakfast is authentic Scottish in every way and delicious--a choice of cereals, porridge, bacon, sausage, toast, potato scones, eggs (cooked to order), haggis, and black pudding plus the best coffee that I have ever had in my four trips to Scotland.

The location is amazing. Your are literally a few hundred yards from the Royal Dornoch clubhouse and their property actually is next to the 16th tee of the Struie course at Dornoch.

Setting all these superlatives aside, what makes this place wonderful are the hosts, Edward and Marelle Sierra. Edward is a Los Angeles native while Marelle actually hails from Dornoch. They are fun, funny, hospitable, interesting and very gracious. They gave us unerring tips on where to eat and even had great suggestions for two aging but enthusiastic golfers taking on the fabled links of Dornoch.

Over the years, I have stayed at perhaps hundreds of inns and B&B's. None comes close to the Amalfi in being such a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hayekapostle
14foxy, Owner at Amalfi Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

The pleasure was as much ours - we really enjoyed your stay here, and feel we have made new friends! Thank you!

Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is the way they pronounce PERFECT. In all respects Marelle and Edward were the perfect hosts. Very Clean and excellent breakfast. Highly recommend! Easy walking distance to village and golf course.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sharon C

Thank you for your kind words! Maybe you were the parefect guests!

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Although I am not a usual reviewer I do feel compelled to comment on the Amalfi B&B. In short everything that you would want, good clean and well appointed room, welcoming, friendly (especially to my 2 chiledren who wanted to stay forever !) and within a stones throw of the 2 Dornoch courses (and others in the area). Both Ed and Marelle were great hosts and the breakfast was one of the best ever provided. Finally for the golfers Ed`s golf knowledge is second to none and always usuful ahead of a round on the Championship course. If you need a B&B in Dornoch look no further.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Always nice to hear comments such as yours - we appreciate the time taken to write your review!
Thanks!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Nice location for golfers playing royal Dornoch. Rooms and bathrooms are nice. Breakfast was great. Now the negatives:
No other rooms (living room, etc) are available to guests. We inadvertantly left on a light over night and we told under no uncertain terms that what we did was unacceptable and that we need to be more careful and not repeat that. "try to do better today" In addition my son made the mistake of walking through the kitchen the first morning. He was told that he shouldn't do that. He quickly apologized, but the response that came back was "well, it's too late now."

We felt on edge the whole time there after that.
If you can handle the personality of the owner the accommodations are ok enough. I would not go back there, though. We did not feel welcome, just tolerated.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Jointdoc1
14foxy, Owner at Amalfi Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

As the owner of Amalfi I am always grateful when a guest takes the time to review my bed and breakfast. I am happy that they enjoyed their breakfasts, and the rooms and bathrooms were satisfactory.
However I do feel some of this guest’s remarks have to be put into context. Firstly, my website makes no mention of a resident’s lounge - if guests require this facility they should look for (and expect to pay for) a guest house. Typically B&Bs do not provide this facility. Secondly, and I am sure all b&b owners will empathize with this one, the issue of the light left on overnight. This was not simply a light but the shower room light, which meant the extractor fan was whirring away for some 10 hours. I was concerned the motor might overheat after that length of time. We knew the guests were in, and hoped they would put the light off, but it obviously didn’t concern them sufficiently. There was no big issue made of it but it was mentioned, just hopefully to prevent a repeat of this on the next evening. Thirdly, I do not recall the exact wording used when one of the guests used the kitchen as a shortcut to the dining room, but I think he took it rather too seriously. This often happens, and if it bothered me I would put a ‘Private’ sign on my kitchen door, so I think he was being rather over-sensitive.
These guests were only booked in for 2 nights, and playing36 holes of golf each day, so feeling ‘on edge the whole time after that’ given that we hardly saw them again until breakfast the next morning seems a little exaggerated. They omit to mention that a cooked breakfast was placed in front of them at 6.45 am, which is something that should not be expected from every b&b.
I have never had my personality questioned in the past, and I feel hurt by this comment, especially as at breakfast the following morning the atmosphere was very jovial, and at no time was there any indication of discord.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

An excellent B & B, ideally situated for the beautiful and challenging golf course.
B & B's like this one are so much better value than overpriced hotels. The breakfast itself was worth the cost of staying as indeed was the sunny disposition of Marelle. She makes a mean bowl of porridge and her poached eggs are unimpeachable.
Although our small golfing group viewed ourselves as urbane, men about town, it was er, interesting to receive a coffee tutorial on the difference between the various manifestations of the Italian brew. It was kind of Ed to bring us up to speed.
To sum up - a great place, nice people and we would return if they would have us, which is moot.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for your kind words - and you are more than welcome to return any time! All is forgotten already!