The Eagle Hotel
$135
$111
$141
TripAdvisor
All reviewspub lunchfood was served quicklychicken tempuracastle streetbeds were comfortablebooked this hotelfamily roomgreat roomrelaxing breakdouble roomroyal dornochgolf courseeaglesaleportionscrunchywee
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here in April 2012. Renovation work seemed to be on going, we had booked a family room. When we checked in it was as though it was a surprise to the staff. Our room wasn't ready, fair enough these things happen so we waited, eventually we were shown to our room. This was not the room we booked, when I explained again that we had booked a family room we were told that all our luggage would be moved if we wanted to go out. We done that and fair enough as promised everything was in the new room as promised.

Perhaps it was our timing but this place was a hotel of two halves, the ground floor whe the bar and restaurant are sited are very smart and obviously have had money spent. Whereas the bedrooms upstairs are tired and dated. (even after a coat of paint) the food was decent however the service was very slow and they didn't reall y seem to have a system in place for the waiting staff. Different staff asking us the same questions became tiresome. Just seems very disorganised. Breakfast wasn't much better, we we never down sharp for breakfast however always within the specified times, on more than one occasion we were made to feel like we were an inconvenience.

We eneded up cutting our visit short by a day and heading to Inverness for our last night.

I've been visiting Dornoch and indeed the eagle for many years, I expected so much but was very, very disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
EPI_Admin, General Manager at The Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of the Eagle, I apologise for the issues you experienced during your visit 11 months ago. I would hope that if you were to visit again you would see a noticeable difference in the staff and rooms.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I were booked into the 'Glengoyne' suite for our Valentines weekend. Beautiful room, very clean and all the staff very attentive and friendly. There was a problem with the jacuzzi bath in our room, reported to staff on first night and was promply dealt with and fixed the next day. Food was absolutely beautiful and service for the evening meal and breakfast was quick. This hotel really bends over backwards to make sure there visitors have an enjoyable stay and would highly recommend to anyone, We will definately be back for another stay!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
EPI_Admin, General Manager at The Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

I would like to offer my thanks for your kind posting above. It was such a pleasure to read your lovely feedback after your stay with us at The Eagle. I was particularly pleased to learn that you enjoyed your meal and that you found our staff friendly. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback, your kind words are genuinely appreciated and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Eagle in the future.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

booked in for a romantic weekend...and that's what we got! rooms 1, 2 & 3 have jacuzzi's in them (i haven't seen rm 1 or 2 but was informed of this). we stayed in the 'Glenfiddich', and it was fantastic. the jacuzzi is so powerful and room nicely decorated (could do with nicer carpet though) and an extremely comfy bed. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way when we requested anything (extra towels, wine glasses etc). The food is amazing, especially their homemade burgers and the haggis dish. Have been several times now just as a getaway when we are child-free (not too often unfortunately). Highly recommend The Eagle for a relaxing getaway. Oh and the bar downstairs is lovely and we met some really nice locals.

Room Tip: rooms 1, 2 and 3 have corner jacuzzi's....amazing!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clairewatson1973
EPI_Admin, General Manager at The Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you very much for your recent review, I am so pleased that you chose The Eagle to spend your well earned rest in. It is great to receive such great feedback from you. I share with the team all of our guests feedback and I know they enjoy a pat on the back after receiving comments like yours. I do hope the next opportunity you have to get away will be spent here again with us at The Eagle.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

visited here after it had been refurbished and i have to say the food was really nice there but we were sitting right by the bar and was really noisy and people kept banging in to my partner which was in a wheel chair. it was hard to get any staff or ordering anything at the bar. my partner asked where the toilets were and one member of staff pointed and said threw there. he went through and was totally embarressed that there was no disabled toilets . the toilets are small just for a normal person. so had to cut our night short and leave our food and go home. would not go there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank alison T
EPI_Admin, General Manager at The Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of The Eagle, although I am somewhat confused to read your comments on trip advisor 10 months after your visit. I believe we responded to all your points on disabled access by detailed letter at the time. We are a small local business and as such have no control over the planning regulations. Following your complaint we were visited by the local authority Licensing Standards Officer who had no issues with any of the work carried out during the refurbishment. I would like to point out that we are also a listed building in a royal burgh.

I apologise for your husband being bumped into but we are a busy local bar/restaurant and when busy the public areas can get crowded. As with any establishment of this type, during busy times, it is inevitable that people will get bumped into, regardless of their circumstances.

Thank you for mentioning the positive element of your visit, I was pleased to read that you found the food enjoyable.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Well I must say we have just returned having had an amazing time! Our room was clean and had all mod cons including a large tv on the wall and the mini filter coffee machine which was a nice touch. The ultimate surprise was discovering the large cornerJacuzzi bath in the bathroom! The food is amazing, we our frequent diners and we have not had a meal as good as the Eagle in a long time. They have a great menu with a wide selection including chef's choice of pie, curry, soup and a catch of the day! As well as offering a selection of pizzas, pastas and burgers along with the classic bistro favourites.The staff are brilliant and really make this hotel, they are most welcoming and attentive, a special mention to Rob he is an assest to the company! All in all we had a brilliant time and will definately be back. Thanks again

Room Tip: Request a room with a Jacuzzi bath
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed a relaxing break at The Eagle.

It is always very nice to read such a positive review such as yours and I will share this with our team at The Eagle.

We do hope you make a date during the spring or summer to visit us again!

Kindest regards