“Superb Stay!!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Dornoch
inverness
“Superb Stay!!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Well I must say we have just returned having had an amazing time! Our room was clean and had all mod cons including a large tv on the wall and the mini filter coffee machine which was a nice touch. The ultimate surprise was discovering the large cornerJacuzzi bath in the bathroom! The food is amazing, we our frequent diners and we have not had a meal as good as the Eagle in a long time. They have a great menu with a wide selection including chef's choice of pie, curry, soup and a catch of the day! As well as offering a selection of pizzas, pastas and burgers along with the classic bistro favourites.The staff are brilliant and really make this hotel, they are most welcoming and attentive, a special mention to Rob he is an assest to the company! All in all we had a brilliant time and will definately be back. Thanks again

Room Tip: Request a room with a Jacuzzi bath
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EPI_Admin, General Manager at The Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed a relaxing break at The Eagle.

It is always very nice to read such a positive review such as yours and I will share this with our team at The Eagle.

We do hope you make a date during the spring or summer to visit us again!

Kindest regards

Nick McCabe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Walked in past a young man at the front door, who i can now assume was the manager, smoking and had to find out own table and wait for menus as the other young girl on shift was busy, the man came in and just sat at the bar and played on his phone, did not wash his hands after having a cigarette and instructed the young girl to "see to us". she explained she was busy so he reluctantly took us menus. he then went back to playing on his phone. the girl was very polite and helpful. the food service was slow which was quite shocking as there were only a few tables dining at the same time. the wooden board the skimpy bits of haddock goujons was served on was split and you could see residue and dirt in this crack. we complained to the manager and got no sort of compensation, barely an apology as he was eager to get back to his phone and talking to people at the bar, using, may i add vulgar language , the whole -experience was unpleasant and will not be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Louise M
EPI_Admin, General Manager at The Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Hello

Thank you for your honest and candid review of our hotel. I welcome all reviews regardless of their nature as it allows us to tweak our business to keep improving for the future.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies to you for your recent experience, and I can assure you that the young man on the bar was not the manager (I am not a young man by any stretch of the imagination).

We have reviewed CCTV footage and have identified staff on duty at the time. I can assure you that all necessary action has been taken to guarantee that a repeat of this cannot happen again.

I hope that you will try us again on your next visit.

Regards

Nick McCabe
General Manager (not a young man)

Travelers are raving about these Dornoch hotels

Tannum Sands, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

A good mix of traditional pub grub a local delicacies. Good value and served by pleasant staff, it is good to find somewhere that can serve traditional food without the need for all of the bells and whistles you have to endure in some establishments. The Eagle has recently been tastefully renovated and provides a pleasant ambiance in which to dine.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow
Reviewed November 22, 2012

After reading the review below, I was hesitant to try the food here, but after the options around the village seem either very pricy, or basically bought harvster type offerings, i gave it a go. Pleasantly surprised, ate a Paella for lunch, and wow. Sure the place was quiet, I guess thats the time of year, but went back for dinner, and tried one of the burgers, the Kahuna I think it was called. I paid full price, as was just me staying on business, and well, no complaints here. If you cant tell if coleslaw is home-made perhaps you shouldn't be posting reviews! (it is by the way). As far as I can see, the couple below were whiners, and not happy someone obviously had other things to besides sit and chat to them...like their job maybe? Have to love trip advisor, no come back if you post a crappy review, and try hurt others business! Anyway, I loved the food, and i WOULD recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 135David_P135
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed for a weekend at the beginning of November, went up to are room, we were happy.
Back down to the bar had a couple of meals couldnt manage pudding as we were both too full.
Good food for a pretty average price. Really wanted a pint of Tennants but had Carlesburg instead, oh well a good clean pint,so not a complete loss.
Staff recommended places to go to the following morning. Breakfast was really good, if you eat everything on offer you dont need lunch or so my girlfriend told me as she munched down more toast and cereal after a big fry up. We were happy with are weekend, Dornoch in the winter is just a place to chill out and relax and we did that at The Eagle, thanks.

Room Tip: We stayed in Old Putney all the rooms are named after whisky. We had a great shower!!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zac1994
Dornoch, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Just thought I would post a review in response to last review.

I use the eagle as my local and have done for years. Ok the refurbishment totally changed the pub I grew up in and annoyed a lot of the older locals, which I guess are the people advising you not to eat at the Eagle. I stopped eating there as well but since they employed a new head chef the food has improved dramatically and I now eat here twice a week. The homemade burgers are some of the best I have ever tasted!!!! I guess you got a rogue burger.

Best bit of advice I can give is do not listen to other people, try the eagle , you may be pleasantly suprised

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank herecomesyerman
Embo, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I decided, against all the advice of locals, to try the food at the Eagle Hotel in Dornoch. It was Wednesday (Burger Day) we ordered the special burger at £10 for two. The manager (or whatever employee he was) served us our drinks and took our orders then disappeared. No customers (other than us) and no staff to speak to. The bell rang and we knew it was our order because there were no other customers. The manager (or whatever) went for our burgers and served us (quite politely). The meal was served on a wooden board (a bit unhygeinic we thought) but we tried the burger with salad, coleslaw & Chips.
The burger bun was cheap and sticky, the homemade burger fell out of the bun,in bits, when bitten and it was totally tasteless with no seasoning at all. The salad was OK and the coleslaw may have been homemade or bought in.
The manager (or whoever) was most apologetic, and said that he and the Head Chef agreed they were disgusting, and he did not charge for the meal. We were grateful for that gesture but will not be back, unless we hear any good reports.
We were also not very happy that we were the only two in the bar and the employee disappeared, leaving us on our own at all times.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emboalex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Hotel
#3 of 6 in Tain
Royal Marine Hotel
Royal Marine Hotel
#1 of 2 in Brora

Been to The Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!