The Eagle Hotel
$111
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewspub lunchfood was served quicklychicken tempuracastle streetbeds were comfortablebooked this hotelfamily roomgreat roomrelaxing breakdouble roomroyal dornochgolf courseeaglesaleportionscrunchywee
Reviewed January 3, 2013

A good mix of traditional pub grub a local delicacies. Good value and served by pleasant staff, it is good to find somewhere that can serve traditional food without the need for all of the bells and whistles you have to endure in some establishments. The Eagle has recently been tastefully renovated and provides a pleasant ambiance in which to dine.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2012

After reading the review below, I was hesitant to try the food here, but after the options around the village seem either very pricy, or basically bought harvster type offerings, i gave it a go. Pleasantly surprised, ate a Paella for lunch, and wow. Sure the place was quiet, I guess thats the time of year, but went back for dinner, and tried one of the burgers, the Kahuna I think it was called. I paid full price, as was just me staying on business, and well, no complaints here. If you cant tell if coleslaw is home-made perhaps you shouldn't be posting reviews! (it is by the way). As far as I can see, the couple below were whiners, and not happy someone obviously had other things to besides sit and chat to them...like their job maybe? Have to love trip advisor, no come back if you post a crappy review, and try hurt others business! Anyway, I loved the food, and i WOULD recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 135David_P135
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed for a weekend at the beginning of November, went up to are room, we were happy.
Back down to the bar had a couple of meals couldnt manage pudding as we were both too full.
Good food for a pretty average price. Really wanted a pint of Tennants but had Carlesburg instead, oh well a good clean pint,so not a complete loss.
Staff recommended places to go to the following morning. Breakfast was really good, if you eat everything on offer you dont need lunch or so my girlfriend told me as she munched down more toast and cereal after a big fry up. We were happy with are weekend, Dornoch in the winter is just a place to chill out and relax and we did that at The Eagle, thanks.

Room Tip: We stayed in Old Putney all the rooms are named after whisky. We had a great shower!!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zac1994
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Just thought I would post a review in response to last review.

I use the eagle as my local and have done for years. Ok the refurbishment totally changed the pub I grew up in and annoyed a lot of the older locals, which I guess are the people advising you not to eat at the Eagle. I stopped eating there as well but since they employed a new head chef the food has improved dramatically and I now eat here twice a week. The homemade burgers are some of the best I have ever tasted!!!! I guess you got a rogue burger.

Best bit of advice I can give is do not listen to other people, try the eagle , you may be pleasantly suprised

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank herecomesyerman
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I decided, against all the advice of locals, to try the food at the Eagle Hotel in Dornoch. It was Wednesday (Burger Day) we ordered the special burger at £10 for two. The manager (or whatever employee he was) served us our drinks and took our orders then disappeared. No customers (other than us) and no staff to speak to. The bell rang and we knew it was our order because there were no other customers. The manager (or whatever) went for our burgers and served us (quite politely). The meal was served on a wooden board (a bit unhygeinic we thought) but we tried the burger with salad, coleslaw & Chips.
The burger bun was cheap and sticky, the homemade burger fell out of the bun,in bits, when bitten and it was totally tasteless with no seasoning at all. The salad was OK and the coleslaw may have been homemade or bought in.
The manager (or whoever) was most apologetic, and said that he and the Head Chef agreed they were disgusting, and he did not charge for the meal. We were grateful for that gesture but will not be back, unless we hear any good reports.
We were also not very happy that we were the only two in the bar and the employee disappeared, leaving us on our own at all times.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple