“Very poor service”

and 1 more site!
The Eagle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Dornoch
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We waited over an hour for food, on a very non busy night. The staff kept telling us our food was just being plated up and wouldn't be more than 2 minutes, 15 minutes later we were still waiting. When the food did arrive we were very underwhelmed, the food was bland and under seasoned, if it wasn't for the in-laws I would have complained there and then but they just wanted to pay up and get out of there. My wife sent an email the following day with no response or apology from the hotel. Needless tosay we won't be eating there again and we would not recommend the place to anyone else.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at the Eagle for three nights and I enjoyed my stay very much.
I found the room to be spacious and the bed to be comfortable.
The food was of a high standard with the portions of a good size.
The staff at the hotel were polite and efficient with nothing being to much trouble.
Overall a cracking hotel which I look forward to returning to.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Alimac19803
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at the Eagle for two nights on a golf vacation. The room was basic but quite spacious for a small hotel. The restaurant had good food and breakfast was very good, and they opened it up early for us since we had to leave early on our day of departure. A small quibble was the bathroom. It was clean and spacious, but the layout made it difficult to use the shower without getting water on the floor, and the toilet seat wouldn't stay up ( a minor problem for the two of us male golfers on this trip). A good value hotel, and very close to Royal Dornoch links. It was also a short walk into the center of the city for other restaurants and good shopping.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank gogiandtom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Having just stayed at the eagle for a number of nights I must say I thouroly enjoyed it.
Eating there for 3 of the 4 nights I stayed, I never had a single issue with the food. The burger was delightful and the steak pie is a joy to the taste buds.
Breakfast is well balanced between self service of tea/ coffee toast and cereal with a choice of freshly cooked dishes. The eggs Benedict were a lovely wake up.
Rooms were well layed out and decorated to nice standard. Jacuzzi bath was a nice touch.

Found all the staff very approachable and friendly from the management to the bar/ waiting staff. Even the chefs will have a chat/ joke with you.

All in all I would definitely return to the eagle

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My Partner and I stayed here last week with another couple of friends, and from reading the previous reviews I would have thought we stayed in a totally different place.

We were greeted at reception by a very smiley English woman who showed us to our room, Glengoyne, all the rooms are named after whiskies, we were very pleased with the room, it had a big screen tv, king size bed and best of all a jacuzzi bath : ).

When we came down at night the bar was very quiet, which suited us as we got served very quickly for our meal and drink. The bar has obviously been recently refurbished and they have done a lovely job of it, my only concern would be we are in Scotland but they have nothing Scottish on draft, except the occasional guest ale.

Our order was taken by a young girl who again was very smiley and the food was served quickly, I had the 'Kahuna' Burger which was a monstrous plate of food and very tasty, in fact I struggled to finish it. My partner had House Burger, which she informed me was also lovely.

We stayed for most of the night in the bar and finished the night with a few malt whiskies, they have a reasonable selection and were served these by a very knowledgeable gent behind the bar, I was introduced to the Glenlivet Nadurra which I had never tried before, superb whisky even though it is cask strength and I will be heading to Gordon and McPhail's to get a bottle when I get home.

Breakfast , was served by the smiley English woman, bit of a buffet affair, help yourself to tea/coffee, juices, toast and cereal with a ample cooked breakfast being cooked to order, again we are in Scotland where is the haggis or black pudding!!

Overall, a pleasant stay and would gladly stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a jacuzzi room :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2012

we arrived in dornoch on friday 21/9/12 at 7,50 asked for a table for 4 was told they were busy but they could give us 8,20 so we came back in then and the waitress walked past us 3 or 4 times we then asked for our table that we booked she sat us down took a drinks order then our meals order then after over 1hour and ordered an other drink they said sorry but there is a problem with our order with the till and the kitchen getting our order we where then told that we only had to pay for our drinks but when our starters come my daughter had ordered natchos you couldnt lift out an natcho with out the whole plate coming with it so we sent it back my husband help her eat them so we could get our main meal when it come my husband and daughter ordered burgers me and my brother ordered the days specail Roast Beef with Roast Potatoes well burnt was an under statment the roast potatoes were black mash hard and lumpy our knife wouldnt go through the yorkshire pudding even when covered in gravy we told the waitress she just shrugged her shoulders gave us the bill no conversation from her we had been here before and had a grat meal but they must have big problems with the staff to send food out like that i would not advice any one to go there if want a nice meal we did have a nice 3 course meal in the Dornoch inn just up the road much nicer staff and meal was great

Room Tip: dont go unless you enjoy burnt food
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

£79 for B&B for 2 is too expensive for this standard. Room shabby eg cracked bathroom tiles
WiFi security out of date so modern laptops can't connect.
Plus point was quiet upstairs, no noise from the bar.
Breakfast comes with compulsory Sky TV :-(
Dornoch is a lovely town but look for somewhere else to stay

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Castle Hotel
Mansfield Castle Hotel
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#4 of 6 in Tain

Been to The Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!