“Friendly Pub, Great Burgers”
Review of The Eagle Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Eagle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Dornoch
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My Partner and I stayed here last week with another couple of friends, and from reading the previous reviews I would have thought we stayed in a totally different place.

We were greeted at reception by a very smiley English woman who showed us to our room, Glengoyne, all the rooms are named after whiskies, we were very pleased with the room, it had a big screen tv, king size bed and best of all a jacuzzi bath : ).

When we came down at night the bar was very quiet, which suited us as we got served very quickly for our meal and drink. The bar has obviously been recently refurbished and they have done a lovely job of it, my only concern would be we are in Scotland but they have nothing Scottish on draft, except the occasional guest ale.

Our order was taken by a young girl who again was very smiley and the food was served quickly, I had the 'Kahuna' Burger which was a monstrous plate of food and very tasty, in fact I struggled to finish it. My partner had House Burger, which she informed me was also lovely.

We stayed for most of the night in the bar and finished the night with a few malt whiskies, they have a reasonable selection and were served these by a very knowledgeable gent behind the bar, I was introduced to the Glenlivet Nadurra which I had never tried before, superb whisky even though it is cask strength and I will be heading to Gordon and McPhail's to get a bottle when I get home.

Breakfast , was served by the smiley English woman, bit of a buffet affair, help yourself to tea/coffee, juices, toast and cereal with a ample cooked breakfast being cooked to order, again we are in Scotland where is the haggis or black pudding!!

Overall, a pleasant stay and would gladly stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a jacuzzi room :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 26, 2012

we arrived in dornoch on friday 21/9/12 at 7,50 asked for a table for 4 was told they were busy but they could give us 8,20 so we came back in then and the waitress walked past us 3 or 4 times we then asked for our table that we booked she sat us down took a drinks order then our meals order then after over 1hour and ordered an other drink they said sorry but there is a problem with our order with the till and the kitchen getting our order we where then told that we only had to pay for our drinks but when our starters come my daughter had ordered natchos you couldnt lift out an natcho with out the whole plate coming with it so we sent it back my husband help her eat them so we could get our main meal when it come my husband and daughter ordered burgers me and my brother ordered the days specail Roast Beef with Roast Potatoes well burnt was an under statment the roast potatoes were black mash hard and lumpy our knife wouldnt go through the yorkshire pudding even when covered in gravy we told the waitress she just shrugged her shoulders gave us the bill no conversation from her we had been here before and had a grat meal but they must have big problems with the staff to send food out like that i would not advice any one to go there if want a nice meal we did have a nice 3 course meal in the Dornoch inn just up the road much nicer staff and meal was great

Room Tip: dont go unless you enjoy burnt food
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

£79 for B&B for 2 is too expensive for this standard. Room shabby eg cracked bathroom tiles
WiFi security out of date so modern laptops can't connect.
Plus point was quiet upstairs, no noise from the bar.
Breakfast comes with compulsory Sky TV :-(
Dornoch is a lovely town but look for somewhere else to stay

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We spent one night at the Eagle hotel and frankly that was enough.Our room was above the kitchen and the smell was none to inviting,the view out the window was like a scrapyard,with old landrovers and an overgrown garden.Breakfast was a chore as you had to queue to make your toast,and tea,when my cooked breakfast came the fried egg was hard.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We spent last week in Dornoch on holiday. Last Tuesday we met with friends and had lunch at the Eagle hotel. The food was lovely, the portions were huge and staff were the friendliest I've ever experienced.

We were so impressed we returned on Thursday for dinner and Friday lunchtime. The hot sandwiches (of roast lamb with a jug of gravy) were a delight.

Great value for money and will definitely take some beating on taste!

Many thanks to all the pleasant staff. Next time we travel to Dornoch will definitely pay them a visit!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We have just returned from an amazing holiday in Dornoch,
We went for a drink on Thursday and enjoyed the atmosphere so much we returned for a bar meal yesterday.
The menu is extensive and is great value for money.
We placed an order and when it arrived there had been a mix up and my son did not recieve what he ordered, the staff apologised and said that they would rectify this.My son tucked into rustic chips whilst he waited for his chicken burger this was served within 5 mins and my son was delighted with it, we recieved another apology and complementary onion rings.
When I went to pay for the meal I was informed that the chicken burger & chips had not been charged for, we could not believe this gesture as the apology and attention we recieved was superb.
I am delighted with the quality, food,drink,service and lovely staff in this hotel and would thorouglly reccomend it to anyone visiting the beautiful town of Dornoch.
My 1 1/2 year old granddaughter agrees with me.
A big thankyou to all the staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Booked for two nights on impulse as had a little trouble finding accommodation during "dornoch" festival week. ( no festivities to be found however)!
Flies buzzing around reception put me off eating the for dinner.
Shown to the room ( via stairs and at the top of the stairs the cooking smells from the kitchen were awful) and it was large but no attention to detail. The valance on the bed was all awry and the bathroom was very shabby. We can cope with shabby but it just wasn't clean enough for us. The loo, basin and bath were clean but the floor and around all the edges were really poor.
Coffee/ tea mug was soiled on the outside.
As we had paid for breakfast we decided to have it there. The tables were grimy and one of the juice glasses had lipstick on it. The vacuum cleaner was sitting at the end of the room.
We helped ourselves to tea and coffee from a thermos of hot water then very little choice of cereal and no fruit at all either tinned or fresh.
Then we had to cook our own toast which we did while waiting about 1/2 hour for our cooked portion to arrive. Apparently they had to go out and get more eggs!

Most disappointing as Dornoch is a lovely town.

I had the feeling that staff were in short supply and the poor lady trying to run the place was under significant pressure and couldn't do it all herself.

Overall way too expensive for the quality of the rooms and food. Bedrooms and bathrooms in need of major overhaul.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Hotel
Royal Marine Hotel
Royal Marine Hotel
#1 of 2 in Brora
Morangie House Hotel

Been to The Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!