“If this is Heaven then I'll be happy”
Review of Royal Golf Hotel

Royal Golf Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Dornoch
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Royal Golf Hotel is simply in a class by itself in terms of service, style, food & location to base a highlands golf adventure. The first tee of the Royal Dornoch Golf course is only a pitching wedge away from the front door of the hotel. The breakfast room is one of the classiest places I've enjoyed breakfast. The dining from in the evening served the best beef filet & duck breast I've ever sampled. If here is any negative to be said it is that golf clubs any luggage need to be lugged up stairs, but the help at the hotel was more than willing to lend a helping hand for those who needed it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the golf course.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank johnnyjumpstart
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Johnny,

Many thanks for your most complimentary remarks following your stay here recently. Due to the close proximity of the first tee to the hotel reception, and our splendid location over-looking the world famous golf course and Dornoch beach beyond, it would be understandable if a visiting golfer believed he or she had arrived in heaven ! We are flattered by your kind comments regarding your stay. Worth mentioning that we do have a very good golf club storage room on the ground floor to save you lugging your clubs upstairs. I am sorry if you were not made aware of this facility. Sadly we don't have an elevator, but we are more than willing to carry luggage/suitcases up to bedrooms.
Once again many thanks for your valued feedback.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

My group of six golfers enjoyed a fabulous dinner here. We had drinks and ordered in the comfortable seating area overlooking the first tee. Our table was also nicely situated with a view. We agreed that this was probably our best meal of the trip, and we had plenty of wonderful meals! We would rush back, for sure!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wendy48254
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Wendy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your most complimentary review on tripadvisor following your recent meal at The Royal Golf Hotel. I am delighted to read that this was your most enjoyable meal during your trip.This is indeed a high tribute to my kitchen team and restaurant staff. Please do rush back !

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Loved this hotel. Old style luxury and attentive friendly staff. Views all around we're beautiful and many rooms have sea views across the gold course. Restaurant was pleasant and extremely good food. Service was still good even though there was a large party at the far end of the room. The bar was comfortable and choice of single malt whisky was impressive. Rooms were comfortable and clean.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan S
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Alan,

Many thanks for posting your most complimentary review following your recent stay here. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. It is always a pleasure to respond to such positive remarks and the team takes enormous encouragement from guests kind comments.
I hope to welcome you back to The Royal Golf Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is a bit late.....w e stayed here on the 15th August. Room was quite adequate, great shower and lovely fluffy towels. We ate in the restaurant and I had on f the best steaks ever! It was fabulous. Cameron looked after s in the bar and introduced us to the most fabulous whiskey! It was a one night stay, my partner played the 2nd course and it was great. Really a fab stay. Lovely staff.

1  Thank Lisa P

Dear Lisa,

It's never too late ! It was only a couple of weeks ago that you stayed with us.
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely review. We all do really appreciate your kind remarks. I am delighted you enjoyed your steak and I will of course mention to Cameron that you have recognised his hospitality and whisky knowledge. Next time you visit us, your partner ought to play the main attraction - The Championship Course, however the Struie is a fine course in its own right.
Once again, many thanks and we hope to see you in the near future.

Director and General Manager

Reviewed August 26, 2013

4th Night of our trip and another lovely place.

Lovely room with stunning views over the course & our to the sea.

Friendly staff.

Although we were not there for the golf, If was nice sitting watching them while enjoying a malt or 2.

Food was good, (Lovely fish & chips)

Nice selection of malts.

Barman was good value too.

Nice breakfast with good selection. poached eggs were spot on.

\would recommend to golfers & on golfers.

1  Thank shane m
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Shane,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind review following you stay here recently.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your visit. The barman you mention would have been my esteemed colleague, Cameron, who I shall thank on your behalf for providing such a good service and recommending some nice malt whiskies.

Once again, many thanks for staying with us, and hope to see you again before long.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Royal Golf Hotel is directly opposite the first tee of The Royal Dornoch Golf Club. It is full of golfers enjoying a holiday in a hotel that offers every comfort. We booked a suite for a two day stay, and were put in the Tom Morris suite which has a sitting room, bedroom and generous bathroom. It was most comfortable and very nicely decorated with wonderful views of the golf course and the Dornoch Firth.

The Hotel restaurant also overlooks the course and Dornoch Firth. Our meal was delicious, although it was a long wait for it, as we didn't order entree. We have been touring Scotland for nearly a month and just can't sit down to entree and dinner every night. There is also a bar area adjacent to the restaurant in the hotel, and it is most attractively decorated with a Scottish whiskey theme. You can actually order your dinner here while enjoying a drink, to lessen the wait in the restaurant.

Breakfast is served in a smaller dining area adjacent to the reception area, and is included in the tariff. This delighfully elegant room, is where you can enjoy a cooked or continental breakfast. It is open from 7am to accommodate early tee times.

This is my second visit to Dornoch, and I wasn't let down. The golf course is one of the most challenging links courses in Scotland, and the most picturesque. The hotel carpark is adjacent to the hotel and so convenient to the golf course. After golf we enjoyed a light lunch in the clubhouse where the atmosphere was friendly and lively.

The only small hiccup was inadequate wifi coverage in the hotel. I could not get this in my suite so I joined a number of other early risers in the reception area, where we all huddled around our devices, and it was rather fun chatting to the other hotel patrons. I am assured this is only a temporary glitch by their provider.

The reception staff are most helpful and welcoming, and provided us with maps and suggestions for touring. I recommend a trip to Dunrobin Castle which is only a half hour drive north of Dornoch. The walled gardens are beautifully maintained and were full of blooms in late August. Don't miss the excellent falconry display which happens only a couple of times daily. We attended the 2pm session. These times are well publicised and extremely well attended. It is a remarkable experience and most entertaining and professional. Further afield is the Castle of Mey, famous as the Scottish holiday home of the late Queen Mother.

1  Thank charlie282000

Dear Charlie,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel following your visit in August.

Unlike the previous review you were staying in our other Suite - The Tom Morris Suite, with identical wonderful views across the golf course and Dornoch Firth.

From my point of view it is incredibly satisfying to read that my guests have enjoyed every aspect of their stay, and you certainly appear to have done that.

We do all read Tripadvisor reviews and I know the team here take enormous pride in the positive feedback gained.

Interesting you mention the falconry display at Dunrobin Castle. I have spoken to several guests recently who have attended and thoroughly enjoyed the display. I believe it takes place at 10.30am and 2pm. The chap who runs them, like me, is a Bolton born man and injects his talk with many interesting facts and good humour. The Castle is immaculately maintained and the falconry display certainly not to be missed !

I know you travelled along way to be here so I am delighted you both had a great time whilst in Dornoch and hope we can see you again sometime in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed one night with my partner, son and dogs. Contemporary feel mixed with traditional Scottish comfort. Lounge area with wooden floors with large rugs, leather sofas, chairs and a touch of tartan. We had the best afternoon tea and cream scone I have ever had. Warm freshly made scones were delicious. I would go back to the hotel just for this! We stayed in a suite which had a double sofa bed for my son. It overlooked the First Tee at Dornoch and the Clubhouse and beyond to the beach and sea view. Very nicely decorated, light and airy room, comfortably large bed with linen bedding, bathroom which is built in a turret so round inside with large stand alone bath, separate shower, two washbasins. It states that the hotel was refurbished in 2012 and this is quite evidence. We didn't have an evening meal as we were visiting friends but the breakfast was excellent with wide and varied choice. Very comfortable and do hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Suite was wonderful, quite expensive, at £250.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WinnieOnHoliday M

Dear Winnie,

Thank you very much indeed for your extremely kind and complimentary words. My staff will be highly encourageed by your remarks. I am delighted that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and what better place to enjoy than in our conservatory with its splendid views. You were obviously staying in our Ross Suite with its turreted bathroom and stunning views. I am really pleased you had a nice time. You must visit us again soon - Elgin is not a million miles !

Director & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Castle Hotel
Morangie House Hotel
Kincraig Castle Hotel
Kincraig Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Invergordon

Been to Royal Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!