“Excellent meal”
Review of Royal Golf Hotel

Royal Golf Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Dornoch
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I had an excellent meal at the Royal Dornoch Hotel in the Conservatory. First class food, beautifully presented, and not too pricey. Very friendly staff. Excellent quick service. We've tried most of the hotels and restaurants in and around Dornoch but we found this one to be the best.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ian B
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting such a complimentary review following your dining experience recently in our Conservatory Restaurant. You are obviously a local chap so naturally I am delighted that you feel we rank as one of your most favoured restaurants in the area.
Since we re-opened just over three years ago, we have been working hard to develop a local following in addition of course to the hotel diners who visit from all around the globe.
We have certainly seen a marked increase this year in the number of local guests who come to us for meals and with the stunning view to be enjoyed from the conservatory I hope it is proving to be a memorable and enjoyable experience.
Thanks again Ian and please do call in again.

Robert

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Perfect spot for golfers visiting Dornoch.Large and comfortable room with views to die for.Excellent breakfast and innovative restaurant, chef adding a fresh twist to the best Scottish ingredients.Staff always happy to help with a smile.Cameron a good host in the Bar.
Look forward to our next trip.

Robin and Pat Brown

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Foxyrobin
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Pat and Robin,

Thank you so much for your lovely review posted recently following your stay in May.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your 3 day visit to Dornoch and really appreciate your kind comments. Cameron sends his regards.

I hope to welcome you both back to The Royal Golf in the near future.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel has a perfect location for playing Royal Dornoch. Literally 30 steps from the First Tee. Food in the hotel is fine, and they have a great barman with a fine selection of single malts. The staff was very helpful, and was very accommodating to our early departure for breakfast, help with luggage to the rooms, etc. We stayed in room 210, which was large, and very comfortable with great views to the sea and of the first hole of the golf course.

Room Tip: Room 210 has the best view, but wifi was a problem for the stay in that room. Lobby wifi worked gre...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank gtcamper
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting your most complimentary review on tripadvisor following your recent stay here.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. Your bedroom, room 210 with all its windows, is indeed a highly requested room for return guests who have stayed in it previously, having magnificent views of the great golf course and the sea beyond.
Many other rooms enjoy equally spectacular views, however they do get booked early !
Thirty steps to the first tee is about right ! I reckon it's arguably the shortest walk from a hotel reception to the first tee of a golf course anywhere in the world. I may be wrong but so far I have not heard to the contrary.
Anyway once again many thanks and I hope we can welcome you here once more in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and is stayed at the Royal Golf Hotel in the beginning of May. If you are playing golf at the Royal Dornoch it is a super convenient location as it is located a few steps away from the first tee and the clubhouse. It is a very welcoming place with friendly and helpful receptionist. There is a lovely bar with a real fireplace just beyond the reception area. The room was spacious with a golf course view and decorated nicely in a modern fashion with a well appointed bathroom.

The room was very cold in the evening. The heat was turned off after 10pm or so... why would the heat be off during the coldest time of the day? There was no answer at the reception from the internal phone and I called the outside line. I understand that the reception is not manned during the evening hour but I was told that there is a caretaker in the evening. So I called the hotel on the outside line and was assured that the heat will be back on but this never happened.

Breakfast was very average. They had music (radio) on very loud and the young staff, though pleasant enough could have been better trained.

The place has the infrastructure and the willingness so I think it can be a much better place if they tried a bit harder.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room at the far end of the corridor on the first floor - it was very quiet with a g...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blackfriarbobby

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay here at the beginning of May.
Naturally I am delighted that you found the hotel welcoming with a friendly and helpful receptionist, and a lovely bar and spacious bedroom having great views down the first fairway of Royal Dornoch Championship course. It is true to say that we benefit from a superb location just a matter of yards from the first tee of this wonderful golf course.

I am very sorry that you felt your room was not warm enough during the late evening.
To clarify the heating comes on in the late afternoon at 4.30pm until 10.30pm so by late evening the public areas and bedrooms ought to be thoroughly warm. However I regret if your room on this occasion was not sufficiently warm. We could and should have be able to provide you with a portable heater at the very least which would have offered rapid warmth to your room.

The reception desk and phones are manned until 11pm everyday by the receptionist on duty after which the duty manager is responsible for answering the telephone and looking after our guests. I sincerely apologise if you were unable to alert someone to your needs at the first attempt.

I am disappointed to hear that you felt breakfast was only average by which, apart from the radio being too loud, I presume you are referring to the service offered.
The radio, which is tuned to BBC Radio 2, is actually pre-set to a specific station and volume level which I would describe as marginally above background level and includes half hourly news and weather bulletins which most of our guests find useful and informative especially golfers who take a keen interest in the weather situation. However I will certainly review our practices and service delivery with my colleagues as we are always keen to improve and maintain levels of guest care. I would suggest that breakfast is possibly the most important meal in an hotel because not only is it the one meal that all my guests take, but also the last one before departure therefore hopefully leaves a good impression, hence my disappointment in your case.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both to the Royal Golf Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Nice staff, beautiful view, warm and welcoming hotel.

Starters were delicious. Chicken caeser main was perfect, but could have done with a bit of veg to go with the Cajun chicken.

The white wine was warm which I loathe.

We would definitely return though as the prices were very reasonable, despite a few small tweaks needed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank barkwilde
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Feffster,
Thank you for your kind words following your recent vist to The Royal Golf Hotel. I regret that your glass of wine was insufficiently chilled - this is a pet hate of mine too and is most definately something that should not have happened. I hope you mentioned it at the time so we could put this right !
Having said that I am delighted that you would return. If you do and choose the Chicken Caesar Salad again please don't be afraid to ask for some seasonal vegetables !
Once again many thanks for your feedback which is truly appreciated.
Hope to see you again.
General Manager.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Came on a golf break and stayed at this hotel. From the start, it was amazing. The receptionist could not do enough for us...thank you, Gayle. She even brought in some gel from home for my sore back.

The hotel is so comfortable and spotless. We ate in the restaurant where the food and service were both excellent! The views from the dining room are spectacular. Breakfast was in another room, equally comfortable and attractive.

Our bedroom had six windows overlooking the golf course. I was so sad when darkness fell. The room itself was large and very nicely appointed. We wanted for nothing and, if we had, it would have been provided.

We shall return! Hopefully very soon !

Room Tip: Upstairs and overlooking the golf course and Dornoch Firth! To die for!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marilyn R
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Marilyn R,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I hope your back is fully recovered and feeling better.

I look forward to welcoming you to The Royal Golf again in the near future.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The room keying is a golf ball, the (free) wifi password is a famous golfer and our room had a fantastic view over the famous and beautiful Royal Dornoch golf course. Plus the first tee and clubhouse are just metres away. The sun was shining and my other half was like a kid on Christmas Eve, looking forward to his round the next morning. Paradise for golfers! I personally don't golf but I still liked those little golf touches of the hotel and the view. Our room was very plush and modern, having recently been renovated, including a swanky, modern Porcelanosa bathroom. It had two large windows and that lovely view of the course and Dornoch Firth beyond. Dinner and breakfast were both very good. The bar was great too - very comfortable, local art and local whisky too. The Glenmorangie distillery is very close by but the barman recommended a Balblair, also local and wonderfully light in colour. For the non golfers there are some good shops in the village (including one in what was once the Jail!) plus some sight-seeing. The beach is gorgeous and a fairytale castle (Dunrobbin) is just a short drive away and makes for a great family outing. It's a lovely part of the world that I'd never been to before and really enjoyed visiting. Some of our party were staying at other Dornoch hotels but it sounded like this was definitely the best one.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the golf course, ideally first floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank SaraNoel

Dear SaraNoel,

Thank you very much for posting such a complimentary view on tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel.
I am naturally delighted that you both enjoyed your visit to Dornoch and the hotel. Sixteen of our bathrooms were reburbished in January 2012 and have definately enhanced guest comfort and experience. It is very pleasing to receive such wonderful feed back and I can assure you the team do read all tripadvisor comments and take alot of encouragement from guests positive remarks.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both to Dornoch again in the near future.

Robert Ratcliffe

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Castle Hotel
The Eagle Hotel
The Eagle Hotel
#4 of 6 in Dornoch
Mansfield Castle Hotel

Been to Royal Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!