“Not 5 Star in my books”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bishopton
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Perhaps it has all the facilities for 5 star award but the standard of room was not the best I have stayed in. It was a large room but the bedroom was pretty constricted. In fact the TV and Tea making facilities were in a large wardrobe that could not be opened as the doors were obstructed by the bed. Had a great view though overlooking the golf course and River Clyde over to the Craggs in Dumbarton.
Bathroom was suitably large with seperate bath and walk in shower. Also had issue with the lights which when switched on at door put the bedroom lights on. There was a table lamp but could not operate on its own, so wife was non too pleased when i woke her up.
Breakfast was good though let down by serving tea and coffee rather than giving you individual pots.
The bed had a joint in the middle which made it rather uncomfortable and sagging.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The staff are friendly, it is spacious and the rooms are great. It is an all round winner and I would definitely stay again. One of my colleagues thought he had been possessed by a ghost in the table tennis room, though if anything it only improved his usual grumpy personality. Apparently it used to be a military hospital.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy C
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Mar Hall the night after our wedding before flying off on honeymoon and loved the idea of sheer luxury to relax after the busy couple of weeks we'd had!

On arrival, excited as we were, we tried chatting to the receptionist who could not have been less interested in the fact we were newly weds (or any chat in general). In our bubble, we weren't too bothered so trotted off to our room. The room itself was lovely with a HUGE bathroom and a gorgeous view over the golf course - I'm not sure it was delux room we'd booked (I'd expected the bedroom to have been bigger). I had also ordered fizz to be in the room on arrival - it wasn't - so after waiting 30 mins in case it was coming I called reception and had to argue the fact that I'd paid for it already (never mind anything complimentary for our special occasion!) which didn't really feel like 5 star. We had a wander and the grounds are lovely and bar staff were great. We had a delicious meal in the restaurant and the staff there were brilliant and made us feel really special. We spent the next morning in the 'spa' before boarding our long haul flight but have been in nicer spas in 4 star hotels. The pool itself was fine, but felt more like a standard swimming pool to a spa and the changing rooms were tiny. All in all, I'd recommend the hotel if you get a good deal and aren't celebrating anything special as they certainly won't make you feel like they are pleased you have shared the occation with them! I don't think I'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HannahM0406
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with Mar Hall. We were given as a Christmas present a 5pm co.uk voucher. The voucher is valid seven days a week. When I called a short time after Christmas to book I was advised that every classic room was booked between now and 31st March 2014, with the exception of 7th February 2014 or a week day which for child care and travel reasons was unsuitable.
I was told I could get a better room for a £60 supplement.

For there to be so little availability Mar Hall must have over sold the deal.

When I spoke to reservations I was greeted with a very dry response. This was after she failed to return my call. There seems to be an expectation that I would fit in with Mar Hall's plans, you could tell from her tone that the 5pm bookings were an inconvenience to her.

If Mar Hall cannot provide a classic room to a customer on a reasonable range of dates, they should either upgrade or refund.

When I said I would contact 5pm to discuss a refund the member of staff sniggered and said "good luck with that".

Behavior akin to a dodgy car salesman. Very disappointed.

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank william c
Jemima T, Marketing Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

We always endeavour to accommodate all guests and deal with all enquiries in a professional manner - I can only apologise if you feel that either was lacking when you contacted us. At the time of writing (10/01/14) we have good availability mid-week and limited availability for Fridays and Sundays remaining for this offer. I'm sure you can appreciate that Saturdays are very popular and therefore tend to get booked up first. Our T&Cs on the 5pm deal do clearly state that the voucher is "subject to availability and allocation". We also advise on the voucher "the beginning and end of validity period is often busiest" and to "please book early to avoid disappointed". If you would still like to book a stay for one of the dates we do have available please email reservations@marhall.com and we will try our best to help.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was my wife's birthday treat to herself, and as I am not such a romantic soul, a treat for me as well.
Mar Hall and the estate sits right alongside the Erskine Bridge on the doorstep of Glasgow (as you travel to it from the south west corner of Scotland).
A fascinating history is attached to this state-listed building and which has played a significant role in the lives of many war veterans. A real 'Google' must 'Google'.
We've stayed in various stately homes before, (e.g Balbirnie House, Markinch, Nr Glenrothes, Fife ) however, this hotel differs in that it does not bring with it all the trappings of wealth and upper class pomp. Instead it provides the comfort and service of a non pretentious good quality hotel which can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone. It felt like home from the minute we walked through the grand entrance door and were warmly greeted by the staff. The staff were attentive, friendly and genuine. Brilliant.

The Room.
We had a Junior Suite. which was No 7. and overlooked the front concourse, the golf course and reaches down to the River Clyde. Across the river lay the southern hills of Lomond. Size was magnificent while not over bearing. Warm and very comfortable. We could easily have stayed a fortnight here (though I doubt we could have afforded to as our one night special deal was £200 including evening meal and breakfast).

Now for the food.
The food in the restaurant (Grand Hall) was well prepared and presented and really great value for the quality.
Extra portions of home baked speciality bread rolls without asking is always high on our list of pointers to any service level.
Tender Ayrshire lamb rump on a potato mash with the most freshest veg along side suited me to a 'T'. The poached salmon fillet on a bed of crayfish risotto was not too much to my wife's liking as she felt it was and smelt too fishy, possibly from the stock base used in the cooking.
The desserts were original and well executed variations on popular puds such as Cappuccino creme brulee and Bakwell tart.

After breakfast we enjoyed a most delightful hour long easy walk along the side of the Clyde, taking in the bird life, the wide span Erskine Bridge towering overhead, and the golfers tee-ing and putt putt putting their way around the golf course. Very relaxing and fresh.

Sadly, even with a mid-day check out, we did not have enough time to take in the Spa - so perhaps another visit will be called for in the near future, I hope so.
Top marks for staff friendliness and best wishes from Manx Viking.

Room Tip: Junior Suite No 7 is excellent especially if for a special treat; failing that ask for a river facin...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We attended a family wedding at Mar Hall November 30th this year.
This hotel is falling short of it's 5 star award. It is certainly not luxury or exclusive.
Pros - nice location and lovely food.
Cons - the place was over-run with people on an afternoon tea deal which cheapened the whole experience.
Rooms okay but again expensive for what you get.
Hotel itself could be doing with some smartening up and something more glamorous than a tent for the wedding reception. Overall not worth the money.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Erasurette

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and thank you for your positive comments regarding our food and location. Regarding our rooms, we are continuously investing in the property and are currently refurbishing many of our rooms with more planned later in the year, and our rates are competitive with similar hotels in the area. I can appreciate that a marquee might not be to everyone's taste, but I can assure you our marquee is a permanent structure of excellent quality which provides an wonderful setting for large weddings and functions.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We booked a last minute getaway for Hogmany on the 30th and were delighted to get a space at Mar Hall for their Great Gatsby night.
The building is grand and the grounds delightful. Such a a great location with a short drive into Glasgow City Centre (25 minutes). Loch Lomond and The Trossachs just the same distance in the opposite direction.
Lets be honest this is not 5* but could be. We were greeted at the door by a lovely friendly gentleman, bags were carried to our room if we wished. I would say it felt as if I were walking into an old friends house. Welcoming but not too in your face.

Rooms were clean,tastefully decorated, well equipped and much larger than I was expecting. We were in room 31 ( I think) which is a classic as all delux were full . I personally think it just missed the minor finishing touches to let it go the extra distance. (bathroom was starting not look as sharp as it should, taps were leaking as needed new washer, bath sealant messy etc.) This however DID NOT DETRACT from what was a lovely stay.

Wine list was fantastic and in my opinion not over priced. A great selection of Chablis did us fine! Food was a set menu (to be expected) and was delicious. Only minor slip up I felt was we should have had a steak knife with our meat.
They certainly hosted a fantastic party. People from across the globe seemed really enjoy themselves.

The staff really make this place. We had a lovely waitress whom I believe in normally a chamber made. She was fantastic. A real asset to the hotel. (She needs a raise!)

All in all I felt that this was a lovely place. Really picturesque and fantastic team who really made the evening. Just the smaller attention to details would help bring this up to the higher standards people may be expecting. However I fell that the service and feeling made this a nicer place to be than say Cameron House. Worth a visit. I shall be back for afternoon tea!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LJMurray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 2 in Bishopton
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#12 of 93 in Glasgow

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!