“Saturday Night in Mar Hall”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bishopton
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Booked the Romance Package which included a spa treatment, bottle of Champagne on arrival, dinner and breakfast. Room was comfortable and cozy. Couples mud room in spa a must with your partner. Staff and service were exceptional. Bit disappointed in dinner especially as we had chosen to pay the extra for a la carte menu. Had venison for main course and in my opinion two very small 50p size pieces of meat are not good value. Good hearty breakfast with lots of choice.
Great location and despite dinner would go back again

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear John

Thank you for leaving a review and we are very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I wholeheartedly agree that the Rasul Mud Treatment is an absolute must and one of my favourite spa experiences. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the restaurant - consistency and continual improvement in our offering is very important to us so all feedback is very useful and much welcomed. We look forward to seeing you again next time you stay with us.

Warmest regards,

The Team at Mar Hall

Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I booked a night as a present for 18yo son. I booked a twin room but in arrival was given a double.
I explained this to the receptionist who changed our room stating our new room was made up as a double but would be changed to a twin when it was turned down at 6pm. The room ,Room 33 is definitely not a room that would be given to someone paying full price, we only paid £125.... It was basically below ground level our window looked under the cars parked at the front of the hotel.
The room itself was large and comfortable. Why anyone would want to watch a TV in a cupboard is beyond me.
We went for dinner at 7.30pm food was just okay and atmosphere totally non existent
On returning to our room at 9pm the bed still had not been changed to twin.
I again contacted reception. The receptionist himself came down as housekeeping were away home. He changed the bed to twins leaving my single bed with a double duvet on it with it trailing the floor on both sides.
Breakfast was excellent.
I don't believe for one minute if you turned up in your Bentley you would be treated the same.
It is my opinion they have rooms they couldn't justify the top rate for so they give them to Laterooms etc. Subsequently if you purchase these rooms the staff treat you differently.
I did not complain to the hotel as I just will never go back.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Dhalartl63
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam

I am disappointed that your stay was not more enjoyable and that you did not feel like you could raise it at the time of your stay, although I appreciate not everyone is comfortable with this. Had you brought up your concerns to a member of staff when you were first shown your room we may have been able to offer you another if one had been available. While we do offer different grades of room, I can assure you that our staff aim to provide the highest levels of service to all our guests. I am sorry if you felt this was not the case on this occasion and we will be investigating accordingly the breakdown of communication between reception and housekeeping as to why your room was not changed to a Twin by the time promised.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

always mixed feelings going here but this time great rooem and first rate service.
golf course is exceptional though quite difficult for beginners and probably a bit wet in the winter. views spectacular.
barional living given you get a good room.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
EveInglis, Public relations manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear David,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We choose Mar Hall for my mums 60th Birthday celebration. This was a rare treat for all my sisters and mum to be together. Like 'Alison M' mentioned the food was exceptional, but the facilities were poor. We stayed in room 50 beside the Spa which is a lift and what felt like the longest walk ever from reception (don't shut the bathroom door in 50 you'll be locked in for days). The room was just ok. Big hole at light in bathroom. Wonky toilet seat. We found a contact lens on the bedroom floor and a big toe nail on the hall carpet. Ok, these are hard to spot and we should have mentioned them at the time, but we didn't want to make a fuss. The bed was horrible. We were on a special rate because we booked the spa deal, but on leaving the bill was incorrect. Not very family friendly. Very quiet in the restaurant, lacking atmosphere. Staff in Spa were amazing.

Room Tip: Don't go near the Spa.
3  Thank AuldKirsty

Dear Kirsty

Thank you for your feedback – we value all the comments we receive as it helps us continuously improve our offering. We have just started refurbishments, with the Spa and adjoining rooms next on the schedule we hope if you choose to stay with us again you will see a huge improvement. Please rest assured that we will be bringing up all the points you have noted with the housekeeping and maintenance teams as we agree that this level of upkeep is totally unacceptable. I appreciate you didn’t want to make a fuss during your stay but we would have preferred you did as we may have been able to change your room to one closer to reception had one been available. I hope, overall, your celebrations were still enjoyable and I am pleased to hear your spa experience was a positive one.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I was treated to a surprise night in the hotel by my boyfriend for my birthday. On arrival a porter came down the stairs to the car park to help with our bags (even though it was only 1 small case and a tote bag) and then offered to help us to our room with them too. The receptionist was lovely and polite but when he was paying the deposit she read out the whole deal to him and revealed the price which was obviously supposed to be kept a secret from me! It was ashame as she could clearly see it was a big surprise for me to be there.

We stayed in room 11 which was one of the grande suites with stunning views across the golf course and River Clyde. Big windows let a lot of light in and kept the room airy and fresh. We had a decent size bathroom with a stand alone bath and separate shower and also 2 sinks with a decent size mirror on the wall. The four poster bed was so comfy and had more than enough pillows so you could get really comfy.

The television was located in a cabinet but you could move it out and turn it so it faced the bed. We had a safe, tea making faciilities and a trouser press but no iron even though it said te room should have one! This was a big issue when it came to my boyfriend putting on his shirt for dinner.

There was a turn-down service offered and also wake up calls.

Dinner and breakfast (both in the Cristal) were absolutely gorgeous. We ate off the market menu (3 courses for £35 ) which is very reasonable for the standard of food we received. Breakfast was perfect too as I had pancakes and he had a massive Scottish breakfast with stornaway black pudding.

The spa was okay but the ladies changing room floor could be doing with getting cleaned more often and same with the pool floor.

The hotel could also provide paths for walking on around the grounds as it took us forever t find an entrance into the garden then had to walk around on the wet slippery grass to enjoy the views.

All in all it was a great stay but the hotel could be doing with some small refurbishments in the main hallways and a good clean of the windows.

Room Tip: Ask for room 11! It had perfect views over the golf course and river, also really comfy bed!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Jayne
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review and I am really pleased to hear that you had such a great stay. This level of feedback, both good and bad, is extremely helpful to us so we can continuously work on improving our level of service. We are planning some refurbishments in the coming months - you will hopefully notice the difference in certain areas of the hotel and spa if you are staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We had chosen what we thought and expected to be a special place in which to celebrate a special occasion and this was slightly marred, not by the food which was exceptional, but by the arrangements and service: it ought not to take four askings to receive water, but it did; at this level all dishes for each course ought to arrive together, but they did not. A disappointing visit.

Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Alison M
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Located in a great part of Scotland and close to major roads. The room was fantastic and the main restaurant superb. Only 4 stars as we thought more activities would be a big bonus, pool was nice though.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jaime
Thank you for your lovely review. We are working hard to expand upon our existing spa and leisure facilities just now so hopefully there will be lots of new activities for you to try next time you stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 2 in Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#11 of 93 in Glasgow
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!