“Amazing hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bishopton
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed in a junior suite with my partner last weekend and had a amazing time. Hotel was beautiful, staff extremely helpful and attentive, grand hall is amazing and the treatments and service at the spa was incredible. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for such a positive review. You have really brightened up our day. I am delighted you would recommending us and I hope to see you back at the resort soon.

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Hartford
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We recently attended a wedding at Mar Hall. We were really looking forward to our stay as it sounded wonderful----overlooking the River Clyde etc etc. However when we arrived we were shown to our room which was a good size and well furnished but we had 2 small windows, one of which was opaque; when I opened it to see our "view" it was a back yard full of gas canisters. We asked if there was another room available and they moved us to a room across the corridor. It certainly had a much better view, but was very small and the bathroom was very disappointing. There was a very large crack in the wash basin which made it look dirty. I would not have expected this in an hotel which claims 5 stars. I reported this damage to the reception and was assured it would be reported to maintenance if it hadn't been already. This was not recent damage so am very surprised that action hadn't already been taken. The spa area was also very disappointing. A good sized pool but my sons used the gym and said it wasn't particularly state of the art and not in a great state of decoration. If I had paid the Hotel Connexions rate of £99 per night it would not have been so bad but still not of a standard one would expect. However we were given a "special" rate as wedding guests-£175 (normally £225). Having been in many 4 and 5 star hotels throughout the world, I can genuinely say £225 is very much overpricing the rooms and facilities. We had booked 3 rooms for ourselves and 2 sons, so it was a very expensive stay for everyone. Even in London where one would expect to pay more for good hotels, I have had much better accommodation for less.
On the plus side, the staff were extremely polite, helpful and very professional throughout our 2 night stay. I did see some of the other guests' rooms and the deluxe ones were very good and probably worth £175 per night. The junior suites were lovely too, so if you are prepared to pay more, then you would be sure of better accommodation.

Room Tip: Do not accept rooms 30 or 31- if you a) want a room with a view or b) a smaller room with damaged wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AnnabelAHartford
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay. I am concerned though to read you were disappointed with your original room. We do try our best to provide all guests with the very best view possible. I am delighted on this occasion we were able give you another room with a better view. My concern though is that this new room did not meet your expected standard. We take maintenance of our hotel very seriously and I will be investigating your feedback.

Our pool area and gym are part of our leisure centre and not part of our Spa. We do though pride ourselves on all of the facilities here at Mar Hall so your feedback is surprising and concerning with a view to making improvements.

The hotel connexions rate is £99.00 per person per night which we feel along with our wedding rate provides excellent value for money. I am disappointed to hear that for the money spent you did not feel the experience reflected this.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff. Guest experience is everything to us and we focus our efforts to help guests wherever possible. Your detailed feedback is greatly appreciated and will help us improve our service. I very much hope some of your issues raised did not cause too much of a negative effect on your stay and we wish for you to consider us the next time you are in the area.

Kilmarnock
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Mar Hall last weekend as a girlie break for my friends birthday. We were on a package which was £240 for overnight stay, spa treatment, lunch, dinner and breakfast. I did think that it was a good deal. It was a gorgeous sunny day and when we arrived I was blown away with the location it was stunning, it would be perfect for a wedding. We arrived about 11am and couldn't check in at this time which is fair enough but they took our bags and off we went to the spa. I had a lovely facial and therapist (Marie I think) was really nice and professional. After facial we went for lunch which was really busy. Service wasn't the best they managed to bring me the wrong sandwich twice. It was really busy though and only one waiter to cope with all the tables. We then went through to use the pool and it was again really busy with no free sun loungers. It was a bit uncomfortable having our girlie chat lying on floor next to pool. No one came to offer alternative. We then tried to check into our room at 15.40 to be told it wasn't ready yet, bit ridiculous if you ask me, housekeeping need a rocket up them if they're not done by that time. Reception service was ok but we had to ask everything they should have been telling us like wifi, breakfast and dinner timings. We waited in the lounge for our room and weren't offered a free drink or even if we wanted anything at all. When room was finally ready no one showed us to it, it was pretty far away and we actually got lost finding it. Room was gorgeous when we eventually got there, very spacious and lovely view. Bed was pretty hard though. Evening meal in the fine fining restaurant was nice, not the best meal I've ever had but not the worst. The lamb I had was definitely not of the best quality very tough and I like it pink. We then sat in the lounge for a drink and there was a fantastic singer/pianist on, really enjoyed. Breakfast the next day was really good I got a massive omelette even though it wasn't on the menu they happily made it for me. Overall I had a really good time, hotel is beautiful as is the spa. I just don't think it's quite the 5 star rating in food quality or service which is a shame as it has so much potential to be amazing. Mar hall take some lessons from Cameron House and you'll nail it.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Cosmogirl_7_12
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for such a special occasion. It is great that you feel your booking offered great value for money. Also it is pleasing to read you enjoyed the beauty of Mar Hall grounds especially in the sunlight. I am delighted you enjoyed one of our many Spa treatments with excellent service provided too.

Quality of guest service is everything to us and we train and work hard to maintain the highest standard possible so your comments on service at lunch is concerning. As you have mentioned we were busy but standards must remain high and I hope you did not experience too much inconvenience with your order. I would also like to apologies for there being no available sun loungers while you were enjoying the pool area.

Your check in experience is deeply concerning and I will be discussing this further with my staff to then action improvements to this vital service. I am though pleased you liked your room and the fantastic view we are so lucky to have here at Mar Hall. It is great you choose to dine with us but I am a bit disappointed the Lamb was not to your preference. Thank you for commenting on the singer/pianist we have to entertain our evening guests. So many people comment on how they enjoyed the performance with a lovely relaxing refreshment. I am also pleased we were able to provide you with your breakfast of choice the following morning as everyone has their own way to start the day.

Thank you for your many positive comments and also the areas we can improve. Your feedback is vital and will be discuss further at Mar Hall with all staff.

I hope to see you and your friends again soon.

uk
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We booked this hotel for a two night break. and our overall thoughts are it was not worth the money.

We paid £740 for our break, however, our evening meals for two nights cost £140, and breakfast was £50, and we dont need a wizard to work out the rest, we did buy a bottle of champagne to our room and had a bottle of wine with our evening meals, but this place is not as special as they make out, our room was nothing special. I much prefer Gleddoch House, and this is were I will be spending my money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank priceless_99
I am disappointed to read your review especially on price. We work hard to offer excellent value to all of our guest but I do appreciate your feedback. I also appreciate everyone has different preferences when it comes to the style of a room but I am still deeply saddened you did not find our room design to your liking.

Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We visited for our wedding anniversary at the end of march, I booked for a Superior room as I wanted it to be a bit special. We arrived early and were asked to take a seat in the grand hall as room was not ready, (check-in not until 4pm). At four my husband went to enquire about our room to be told they were just coming to let us know it was ready!! We went to our room to find a letter under the door advising there would be no hot water between 4pm and 8pm, great a Friday night, getting ready to go out and no hot water. When I looked at the room I was sure it was a classic room, not what I had booked and paid for, I went to ask at reception to be told quite frankly it def was a superior room, (reception staff are very unhelpful). On closer inspection the top bed cover was dirty, all in all we were very unhappy, having decided to ask for a manager we were informed that they infact had NO superior rooms left and had put us into a classic room (just as I said) however they would reduce the rate we had paid to a classic room!!! I advised the manager the receptionist told us we were def in a superior room and she could not answer. We did call Cameron house to move venue unfortunately they were fully booked on that night. They upgraded us to a junior suite, not the nicest of rooms we have ever been in but more roomier than the classic, all in all this hotel does not treat its guests as they should be treated at a five star hotel. Do the better thing and go to Cameron House, you wont be disappointed there... Would recommend the italian for evening meals, great food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Donna L
Thank you for taking the time to write a review though some of your comments are concerning. It is extremely regrettable that there was an issue with the boilers system on the evening of your stay. We do not wish to cause any inconvenience to our guests at all. But unfortunately this could not be helped and we apologies unreservedly for this.

We are passionate about customer experience so your room experience is deeply concerning. I have investigated this further and believe you originally booked a Deluxe room. There was an initial confusion which resulted in you being given a classic room by mistake. As this error was resolved we understood the situation and then upgraded you to one of our Junior Suites at the lower price of a Classic Room. We are sorry for this initial room mistake and I hope you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade.

Scotland
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed in hotel for my birthday treat. I was impressed by the architecture of the building, very imposing, very impressive.
We were given room 32 at the end of one of the wings of the hotel, room was fine.
Went to the Italian restaurant where we were treated very well by the staff, baby was ill and the staff kindly sent our food to the room, so far 10/10
Went to sleep in the very comfortable bed only to notice a rave pounding heavy bass wedding party which got so loud the windows actually rattled. I sound ancient but believe me I am not!
The music continued outside at the Rave Wedding (certainly no sign of Jimmy Shand or music your granny would dance to)
I rang reception and asked what time this racket would stop. I was told at 1am.
For 3hrs we my girlfriend baby and myself were awake with unreasonalble very very loud music
I again asked to see the manager the next morning only to be told he was too busy to see me.
When I did speak to him (he was a very nice man) he apologised for the noise we endured and stated I quote "It was certainly not a classy wedding" I admired his honesty. He offered a bottle of champagne as an apology, I declined as we do not drink and it would have been a waste of good champagne.
I felt that I should have been offerred another night stay at the hotel to make up for the awful nights racket I endured.
I rang the manager when I got home and was told I could have a night for just £99 and a bottle of wine she would personally buy out of the local supermarket as she would not pay the hotel prices. She also said it was out of the question to get a nights stay to make up. She also said "business was business and they have 96 weddings a year and do not mind who stays"
I rang her back as she suggested to take her up on the offer but I did not receive any reply back.

I have given up and feel that the hotel has some very good points but does miss the point completely when it comes to customer service and when we part with hard earned cash it does not seem to matter to them as she said "business is business"

On a humerous not the Scotland team were staying here that night perhaps that is why they did not play so well when they played Serbia. I suggest they also find other places to stay in future!!

Room Tip: Do not stay near room 32 unless you are deaf
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Benny M
I am delighted you were able to celebrate your birthday with us. We really are fortunate to have such a stunning estate, immersed in historic charm. I am also pleased our staff were able to help with dinner when your baby showed signs of being unwell. These things happen I guess and cannot be helped.

I am though so disappointed that the wedding party had a negative effect on your sleep. We have never had any complaints about noise from a wedding before or since this day. We are passionate about the experience of all our guests so in order to insure this does not happen again we have put in place a decibel system that protects against music going above acceptable levels.

You comment on not receiving a reply to your phone call is concerning. If you do wish to take our offer please call +44(0) 141 812 9999 to book or alternatively to discuss your experience further please ask for Eve our Business Development Manager.

Scotland
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Had a fantastic afternoon tea last week at Mar Hall - staff were friendly, welcoming and attentive. Afternoon tea was great - more emphasis on the savoury side which was excellent but no compromise on sweet treats either. Champagne was Moët so no complaints. Would recomend. Great deal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#13 of 93 in Glasgow
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!